Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 08:27 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Cincinnati now at 31 after man dies 5 days after being shot in over the rhine.

https://www.wlwt.com/amp/article/pol...rhine/32418392
What on Earth is going on this year in Cincinnati? You're the same size as Pittsburgh, and we have 1/3 as many homicides so far. Normally we have comparable homicide counts and rates. This is very discouraging because we love to vacation in Cincinnati. It's also discouraging to see that homicides happen in Over-the-Rhine because that's one of our favorite neighborhoods. At least Pittsburgh's homicides don't happen in the touristy neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 10:57 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
What on Earth is going on this year in Cincinnati? You're the same size as Pittsburgh, and we have 1/3 as many homicides so far. Normally we have comparable homicide counts and rates. This is very discouraging because we love to vacation in Cincinnati. It's also discouraging to see that homicides happen in Over-the-Rhine because that's one of our favorite neighborhoods. At least Pittsburgh's homicides don't happen in the touristy neighborhoods.
Regular murders in tourist areas is a sure fire sign of a failed city.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Regular murders in tourist areas is a sure fire sign of a failed city.
I mean I'll let a Cincinnati resident tell me if Over-the-Rhine, which is a tourist neighborhood, has regular murders or not. I don't view Cincinnati as being a "failed" city at all overall. We've always enjoyed our visits there. I love Skyline Chili and Jungle Jim's and their public market. I just wish I knew why it has so much crime. Maybe they need a tax increase to expand their police force?

Old 05-11-2020, 03:59 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Having lived in both areas I would say it’s because Pittsburgh is a lot better than Cincinnati and most other major cities. It’s not that Cincinnati has a high homicide rate but Pittsburgh has an abnormally low homicide rate.

A lot of people don’t want to live in the greater Cincinnati area and will spend 12-15 hours a week commuting to be able to live in a shiny new McMansion development in the cornfields which I think is a living arrangement that is unsustainable and ridiculous at it’s very inception, which is the ruin of both areas.

The homicides are not only in over the Rhine but many were in Avondale, Queensgate, McHenry and the west end. About 6 years ago I was working for a company that supplied electrical materials to contractors working in the over the Rhine and there was a lot left to do in the way of rehabbing the area, more than 3CDC can do on their own.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:09 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,076,536 times
Quote:
I live in the Cincinnati area. Have been for over 3 years now. Read this.

https://www.local12.com/amp/news/loc...mes-cincinnati

"On Friday during a press briefing on the city's efforts to fight the coronavirus, Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley said a tragic consequence of this pandemic is the surge in violent crimes."

Old 05-12-2020, 05:09 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
I mean I'll let a Cincinnati resident tell me if Over-the-Rhine, which is a tourist neighborhood, has regular murders or not. I don't view Cincinnati as being a "failed" city at all overall. We've always enjoyed our visits there. I love Skyline Chili and Jungle Jim's and their public market. I just wish I knew why it has so much crime. Maybe they need a tax increase to expand their police force?
Yeah. I don't have anything against cincinnati, but when I think of tourists in downtown areas being robbed or beaten by angry mobs,i think think a city can't get any worse at that point. I mean, if downtown isn't even safe, then where is?

Old 05-12-2020, 05:14 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Having lived in both areas I would say it’s because Pittsburgh is a lot better than Cincinnati and most other major cities. It’s not that Cincinnati has a high homicide rate but Pittsburgh has an abnormally low homicide rate.

A lot of people don’t want to live in the greater Cincinnati area and will spend 12-15 hours a week commuting to be able to live in a shiny new McMansion development in the cornfields which I think is a living arrangement that is unsustainable and ridiculous at it’s very inception, which is the ruin of both areas.

The homicides are not only in over the Rhine but many were in Avondale, Queensgate, McHenry and the west end. About 6 years ago I was working for a company that supplied electrical materials to contractors working in the over the Rhine and there was a lot left to do in the way of rehabbing the area, more than 3CDC can do on their own.
Pittsburgh definitely doesn't have an abnormally low homicide rate. Low compared to Cincinnati, sure, as Cincinnati is one of the most violent large cities around...

But Pittsburgh isn't one of the safest. Its trended downwards in the last two years (2018 and 2019) and historically, pre-2000, is a pretty low homicide city, but this century hasn't been kind to Pgh and the most recent data of the last 20 years or so does not validate any claim that Pittsburgh is particularly safe, quite the opposite, actually...

Old 05-12-2020, 04:37 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,167 times
Albuquerque is at 22 homicides so far this year, which is down from 29 last year and 31 in 2018 on the same date.

https://www.krqe.com/news/albuquerqu...nvestigations/

Old 05-13-2020, 06:19 AM

Well Pittsburgh had a bad few days. We're now up to 14.

Using the 2018 estimated population of 301,048 we now have a rate of 4.65/100,000.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:39 AM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Dayton is now at 11 after 22 year old shot to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City