Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2020, 10:23 AM

278 posts, read 140,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
NYC shootings level highest since 1999-2005 and murder rate on track this year 2012-2013.
If you haven't noticed every city is having a uptick in shootings and murders. One bad week isn't going back to 1995. Calm down.

But the homicide rate might (MIGHT) hit 400. But even so 400 in a city of 7 million isnt that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Eleven killed in Chicago so far this weekend. One of whom was a 1 year-old baby. I don't have the exact numbers but Chicago should be pretty close to 310 right now, which would put it on pace for 600 or more for the year. What an absolute disaster of a city.
600? Jesus. 2 months ago it was on track for less than 500. What's going on?

Old 06-28-2020, 10:24 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonae View Post
In a city of 7 million 18 shootings is actually low. Nothing crazy. 125 is like 35 in Chicago. And we've seen that Chicago can pass that in 1 day. Much less a week.

18 in NYC is like 2 in Baltimore/St Louis/Minneapolis.
NYC population is about 8.4M, hasn't been 7M in forever.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:26 AM

817 posts, read 598,836 times
The 10 year old girl shot and killed in Chicago was in her room when a stray bullet came through and killed her. It happened in Logan Square, one of the safer neighborhoods in that part of town. A student at DePaul was randomly killed in a Rogers Park last weekend. We keep hearing from Chicago boosters how their city is actually not that bad, as long as you stay away from the 2/3 of the city where the black and brown people live. Not only does the obvious racism of that reality make Chicago look even worse, but it's not even true. Try talking about how Logan Square or anywhere other than Lincoln Park is safe for nervous newcomers when you have bullets flying everywhere killing random kids. Fix your nasty city before worrying about how it looks to the world.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:40 AM

817 posts, read 598,836 times
Quote:
Eleven killed in Chicago so far this weekend. One of whom was a 1 year-old baby. I don't have the exact numbers but Chicago should be pretty close to 310 right now, which would put it on pace for 600 or more for the year. What an absolute disaster of a city.
I was right. Chicago is now at 311, which is about 15 to 20 murders off of the disaster of 2016/2017 at the same time. 2016 ended up with 795 and 2017 with 676. So that would put Chicago on pace for something like 600 to 700 murders this year depending on if the next six months are more like the last six months of 2016 or 2017.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
NYC population is about 8.4M, hasn't been 7M in forever.
8.4 million? Jesus. That's even better than I thought.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:42 PM

171 posts, read 179,718 times
Chicago seems bad now but its never hit 1000 homicides in a year. NYC has had over 2000 in a year before. And yeah chicago might hit 600. Remember when miami back in the 80s was hitting over 600 and they only had a population of 350,000. Baltimore and Philadelphia and St. Louis all make chicago seem not too bad at all.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:26 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonae View Post
If you haven't noticed every city is having a uptick in shootings and murders. One bad week isn't going back to 1995. Calm down.

But the homicide rate might (MIGHT) hit 400. But even so 400 in a city of 7 million isnt that bad.
Not one bad week but okay.

Bro stop this stuff, you pollute the the NYC forum with this, and you continue here.

Listen, be reasonable please. Do shootings usually go up in the summer? Yes. Are there shootings/murders upticks everywhere? Yes. Has NYC had upticks in the past, that everyone yelled doom and gloom, only for it to revert back to normal? Yes.

I usually don't take the yearly random upticks of violence seriously, but this one, has my attention. What makes it different is that this uptick is far greater than we have seen in recent memory. NYC had 15 shootings in a day a couple of weeks ago, matching daily shooting levels from 1993. That's not normal even for an uptick. NYC had 125 shootings the first three weeks of June, the last time June had a worst start was 1996. Again, those are not the same boring yearly upticks we see year to year. This week, the week of June 22nd, there have been 59 shootings and 89 victims, not including today. The week of June 15th had 53 shooting incidents and 72 victims, a 342% increase in incidents, and a 414% increase in victims from last year. These are late 90s early 00's level numbers.

Yes, overall for the year, we are on the same pace as 2015, but you have to look at the severity of the trend. It's not just one day. May had 100 shootings for the month. June has 125 through 3 weeks! The 28 days between 5/25 and 6/21 saw 144 shootings, last time we were higher than that for that week was 1998.

Also the crime rate for a kid in Brownsville Brooklyn or East NY, is not the same crime rate as NYC as a whole. NYC has an overall low crime rate, but how does that matter to a kid in the hood? Different crime rates.

All I'm saying is don't be so dismissive to people who bring up NYC's surging gun violence. Nobody is saying its going to be 1990 overnight. But brotha, this is how it starts. If this year finishes at 2015 levels, then a 20% increase next year brings it to 1998, and so on and so forth. Look what happened to Chicago, 2016 saw huge increase in homicides and it hasn't yet been able to bring it back to pre 2016 levels. Look at Baltimore pre and post Freddie Gray, has not been able to bring it back.

Perfect storm this year:

1) Coronavirus - Court cases are on hold (Perps all out on the street)
2) Anti crime disbanding (73rd precinct anti-crime last year confiscated hundreds of guns, thats a hundred more guns on the streets this year) Perps are no longer worried about carrying guns now with this and no more stop and frisk.
3)Stay at home orders- People are restless and bored
4)Bail reform laws - Perp with a gun is no longer held on bail
5)Police reform - Police are no longer going to risk their jobs and be proactive.
6)Releasing inmates -Bail reform and Coronavirus
7)Add that all to the usual summer time increase and you have the crazy numbers we see this year.

I'm hoping its just a blip too man, but i'm saying don't be so dismissive. People have a right to be concerned. You should be more worried about the trend than about this not being 1990 yet. It starts somewhere, remember that.

Sorry for the long rant. Im going to post this in the NYC forum too, if you would like to continue there or here. I don't mind.

Last edited by DoubleXAs; 06-28-2020 at 02:58 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Not one bad week but okay.

Bro stop this stuff, you pollute the the NYC forum with this, and you continue here.

Listen, be reasonable please. Do shootings usually go up in the summer? Yes. Are there shootings/murders upticks everywhere? Yes. Has NYC had upticks in the past, that everyone yelled doom and gloom, only for it to revert back to normal? Yes.

I usually don't take the yearly random upticks of violence seriously, but this one, has my attention. What makes it different is that this uptick is far greater than we have seen in recent memory. NYC had 15 shootings in a day a couple of weeks ago, matching daily shooting levels from 1993. That's not normal even for an uptick. NYC had 125 shootings the first three weeks of June, the last time June had a worst start was 1996. Again, those are not the same boring yearly upticks we see year to year. This week, the week of June 22nd, there have been 59 shootings and 89 victims, not including today. The week of June 15th had 53 shooting incidents and 72 victims, a 342% increase in incidents, and a 414% increase in victims from last year. These are late 90s early 00's level numbers.

Yes, overall for the year, we are on the same pace as 2015, but you have to look at the severity of the trend. It's not just one day. May had 100 shootings for the month. June has 125 through 3 weeks! The 28 days between 5/25 and 6/21 saw 144 shootings, last time we were higher than that for that week was 1998.

Also the crime rate for a kid in Brownsville Brooklyn or East NY, is not the same crime rate as NYC as a whole. NYC has an overall low crime rate, but how does that matter to a kid in the hood? Different crime rates.

All I'm saying is don't be so dismissive to people who bring up NYC's surging gun violence. Nobody is saying its going to be 1990 overnight. But brotha, this is how it starts. If this year finishes at 2015 levels, then a 20% increase next year brings it to 1998, and so on and so forth. Look what happened to Chicago, 2016 saw huge increase in homicides and it hasn't yet been able to bring it back to pre 2016 levels. Look at Baltimore pre and post Freddie Gray, has not been able to bring it back.

Perfect storm this year:

1) Coronavirus - Court cases are on hold (Perps all out on the street)
2) Anti crime disbanding (73rd precinct anti-crime last year confiscated hundreds of guns, thats a hundred more guns on the streets this year) Perps are no longer worried about carrying guns now with this and no more stop and frisk.
3)Stay at home orders- People are restless and bored
4)Bail reform laws - Perp with a gun is no longer held on bail
5)Police reform - Police are no longer going to risk their jobs and be proactive.
6)Releasing inmates -Bail reform and Coronavirus
7)Add that all to the usual summer time increase and you have the crazy numbers we see this year.

I'm hoping its just a blip too man, but i'm saying don't be so dismissive. People have a right to be concerned. You should be more worried about the trend than about this not being 1990 yet. It starts somewhere, remember that.

Sorry for the long rant. Im going to post this in the NYC forum too, if you would like to continue there or here. I don't mind.
This is a bad comparison. Lol.
1. Those uptick aren't very alarming. Let's not forget the beginning of last year was VERY VERY calm. Then in the last 6 months crime went up. Because crime goes up and down. That's how it goes.

2. I'm from Soundview. Very Very few neighborhoods in NYC saw the amount of crime I saw growing up. I know whats up.

3. I doubt we'll go back to 1990s in 2 years. TWO.

4. Chicago murder rate has been dropping consistently. This year is peculiar.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:12 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
The 10 year old girl shot and killed in Chicago was in her room when a stray bullet came through and killed her. It happened in Logan Square, one of the safer neighborhoods in that part of town. A student at DePaul was randomly killed in a Rogers Park last weekend. We keep hearing from Chicago boosters how their city is actually not that bad, as long as you stay away from the 2/3 of the city where the black and brown people live. Not only does the obvious racism of that reality make Chicago look even worse, but it's not even true. Try talking about how Logan Square or anywhere other than Lincoln Park is safe for nervous newcomers when you have bullets flying everywhere killing random kids. Fix your nasty city before worrying about how it looks to the world.
And those are usually the same people who call out all forms of racism unless it has to do with the way black people live in their south side neighborhoods. They seem to be conflicted when they realize that most murders take place in black neighborhoods because theyre afraid to come off as racist. They would rather let those neighborhoods be than to try and fix the problem, because they think that acknowledging there's huge problems with their city is agreeing with Trump and the Republicans. It's like these people get through every day by living in a constant state of denial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparel View Post
Chicago seems bad now but its never hit 1000 homicides in a year. NYC has had over 2000 in a year before. And yeah chicago might hit 600. Remember when miami back in the 80s was hitting over 600 and they only had a population of 350,000. Baltimore and Philadelphia and St. Louis all make chicago seem not too bad at all.
Chicago and Philly are both on track to end the year with a rate of about 25/100k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City