Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 04:23 PM

832 posts, read 1,255,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonae View Post
So calling out Corrupt officers is turning our backs on all police? So the solution is to prove them right? I guess more than just a few cops are corrupt by this logic. The while system must be corrupt.

The NYPD has a 6 billion dollar budget. They get a extra couple thousand for every drug bust. They don't need THAT much money. They need to be refunded.

YOU just admitted we have spoiled brats running around in Uniform.
There is a difference between calling out bad cops and calling out all cops like what is happening right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 04:54 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
There is a difference between calling out bad cops and calling out all cops like what is happening right now...
It's about calling out the system which encourages and allows bad cops to thrive - nothing will change if the culture of the "blue wall" doesn't change and if the current lack of accountability doesn't change. Also, priorities should be switched from purchasing expensive military-style equipment to more time on things like de-escalation training. Bad seeds like Derek Chauvin with a laundry list of complaints against them should have been weeded out years ago.

Police are increasingly swallowing up higher and higher shares of city budgets - there is reason to question that and to wonder if some of their responsibilities can be shifted towards those better equipped to deal with things like non-violent mental health breakdowns, etc.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:03 PM

278 posts, read 140,371 times
Quote:
What do you propose then?
Doing their job in a effective way without brutality?

Old 07-06-2020, 05:07 PM

278 posts, read 140,371 times
Quote:
When cops do so much to defend those bad cops what are we supposed to say?

Old 07-06-2020, 05:35 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Chicago is pretty much on pace with the horrifying numbers of 2016, which means that 700 to 800 homicides is a real possibiity. I just remember how city leaders were there on January 1st fist bumping over three years of dropping homicide numbers. I get that this is a weird year, a tough year, everywhere. But there is no reason to think that those three years weren't just lucky, because the things that cause Chicago's gun violence (segregation, inequality, a garbage economy) are as bad or even worse than before.
To be fair, it's also the 3rd largest US city, so it being the largest in homicides shouldn't be that much of a concern when compared to other cities. It's usually blown out of proportion; the homicide rate hasn't cracked the top 10 in a while.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:38 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Quote:
Doesn't sound too much different than Americans stereotyping black people like they've done for 400 years.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:47 PM

112 posts, read 257,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
To be fair, it's also the 3rd largest US city, so it being the largest in homicides shouldn't be that much of a concern when compared to other cities. It's usually blown out of proportion; the homicide rate hasn't cracked the top 10 in a while.

When you end the year with more homicides than the 1st and 2nd largest cities combined you have a major problem!

Old 07-06-2020, 11:24 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,103 times
Most recent LAPD stats released today, as of 6/27, LA was at 132 homicides, with at least 4 being officer-involved shootings that almost certainly will be ruled justfiable.

At this time in 2019, there were 127, with 4 of those officer-involved.

At this time in 2018, there were 131, with 10 of those officer-involved.

So it looks like murders are up slightly in LA from 2018: 121-> 2019: 124-> 2020: 128. Still, it doesn't seem like LA is seeing the big spike that some cities are this year. Keeping fingers crossed.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:23 AM

994 posts, read 781,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexas1 View Post
When you end the year with more homicides than the 1st and 2nd largest cities combined you have a major problem!
Not to say that Chicago is doing good, but its city population is basically the same as the cities of Detroit/Cleveland/St. Louis/Kansas City/Cincinnati/Indianapolis combined ... The combined number of murders in the others will dwarf Chicago alone. It's not saying much because none of those cities (including Chicago) are in competition for being among the safest.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:59 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
Not to say that Chicago is doing good, but its city population is basically the same as the cities of Detroit/Cleveland/St. Louis/Kansas City/Cincinnati/Indianapolis combined ... The combined number of murders in the others will dwarf Chicago alone. It's not saying much because none of those cities (including Chicago) are in competition for being among the safest.
You know, I get irritated when mass media zombies see Chicago with 700 murders and go "oh wow most dangerous city in America!", because it makes me think they don't realize Chicago, if not a true Alpha World City anymore, is still a huge global city with 1/3 of NY's population and a skyline to match.

On the other hand, it's started to irritate me to see people downplaying Chicago's carnage by bringing up it's overall rate, which includes the whole city. I also haven't historically wanted to agree with the people who have said Chicagos worst neighborhoods are just about the worst in the country, but I am beginning to believe them more and more.

Like for instance, when I, or other people compare Philadelphia to Chicago, I think of how Chicago has 90 more square miles than Philly, but Chicago has that many more safe neighborhoods than Philly, so I think if you took the 90 safest square miles from Chicago, it would actually be more dangerous.

I was just thinking tonight, that Chicago is about on track to end with 200 more homicides than just last year, when Philly is on track to beat last year's count by maybe 70 homicides? That would be well under half and Philly has 60% Chicago's population. Anyway... This is still a very weird year indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City