Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 05:41 AM

747 posts, read 497,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
As I was saying, I don't think that. It's many people I have come across in various places outside Atlanta. Maybe they are racist. I noticed especially in San Diego people had that image about this (but this was back in the early 2000's which isn't long after the 1990's as you mentioned). It's really just like any other American city. It has the areas to avoid but it has a lot of nice areas as well. Detroit is another city that people have a negative image of, and even that city has good areas including Downtown (the riverfront, Renn Center, Greektown, etc.)
Sounds like you’re the racist one. Case in point:

Quote:
Atlanta is one of the most hated cities in the United States and in 2020, it is showing that it deserves its reputation for being a ghetto city.
Quote:
It also has a lot of the thug culture not seen in other cities. San Diego is on the opposite end of the spectrum, and is seen as rich and high class.
These are your opinions, not the opinions of “many people you have come across in various places outside Atlanta.”

So I guess maybe you are racist. Just by you referring to it as a ghetto city is proof enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 06:24 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
Sounds like you’re the racist one. Case in point:

These are your opinions, not the opinions of “many people you have come across in various places outside Atlanta.”

So I guess maybe you are racist. Just by you referring to it as a ghetto city is proof enough.
And that's why we're in this mess we're in right. Granted there is a racism problem in this country, no doubt about that. But people are quick to label someone as racist even though they are not. The point of that post earlier was that the recent level of violence in Atlanta is unacceptable. If I was really a racist I wouldn't be living in/close to Atlanta in the first place. Those opinions are not my own but people I have known and even posters on here. People on here who have known me on here for awhile know that I'm always trying talk Atlanta up to be something better than it is.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:55 PM

278 posts, read 140,346 times
Honestly, the rise in murders in murders in mostly black neighborhoods is odd. Like, how are we even sure the shooters are all black?

I mean DC NYC CHI LA Philly NOLA All at the same time.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:59 PM

405 posts, read 196,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonae View Post
Honestly, the rise in murders in murders in mostly black neighborhoods is odd. Like, how are we even sure the shooters are all black?

La isn't having a rise in murders.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:32 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser S View Post
La isn't having a rise in murders.
There increase in homicides and shootings in LA cities across the country seeing spike. Overall crime is still down compare to 2019 or it is up by 10%. Chicago homicides this year is on par with 2017, NYC on par with 2013-2015. Upstate New York cities like Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Schenectady, Utica, Niagara Falls i would say Albany had biggest spike. Paterson and Trenton in New Jersey seeing huge spike past two months.

https://abc7.com/lapd-defund-the-pol...k-out/6306690/

https://xtown.la/2020/07/15/murders-...angeles-covid/

Old 07-16-2020, 07:01 PM

405 posts, read 196,427 times
7 additional murders isn't alarming.
The article says "inching".
Its not spiking or out of control like those others.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:51 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,096,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonae View Post

Because the ones doing to much is hoodlums. Jackson still experiencing a high as well.

Old 07-17-2020, 07:17 AM

747 posts, read 497,255 times
Quote:
And that's why we're in this mess we're in right. Granted there is a racism problem in this country, no doubt about that. But people are quick to label someone as racist even though they are not. The point of that post earlier was that the recent level of violence in Atlanta is unacceptable. If I was really a racist I wouldn't be living in/close to Atlanta in the first place. Those opinions are not my own but people I have known and even posters on here. People on here who have known me on here for awhile know that I'm always trying talk Atlanta up to be something better than it is.
This sounds like the tired saying, “I’m not racist, I have a black friend.”

By words and actions do people truly demonstrate what’s in their hearts. Where you live has no bearing on whether or not you’re racist. I shouldn’t have jumped the gun and immediately accused you of being bigoted, but your defense does not satisfyingly assert otherwise. Who cares, you don’t need to explain yourself to anyone on the internet. But just know, accusing a black city of being ghetto because of the recent level of violence that has ensnarled this entire nation is pretty hypocritical, especially when non-black cities like LA, Seattle, Minneapolis, Austin, and dozens others have seen similar levels of unacceptable violence.

Old 07-17-2020, 07:38 AM

1,803 posts, read 934,574 times
No one should be labeled a racist noting stats or because of stats they can call a city for its issues by race and crime the stats prove it.

stats for one city from 2016 which is still the case no doubt.
75% murdered ( by far gangland revenge etc ) and 71% as perpetrators were are listed by stats under race.

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/...ers-are-black/

How this stacks up if stats are calculated in other major cities is not under these one city stats.

Current stats show other crimes in that city down this year by 20%. But these gangland shootings are not.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2...s-gun-violence

Just do not say negative things of one city ..... some will call you racist. Just not this city that stats still show this racial card in extreme degree for crime.

Last edited by NoHyping; 07-17-2020 at 08:29 AM..

Old 07-17-2020, 09:27 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
The 10 largest urban black hoods collectively shoulder about 63% or so of the nationwide black homicides. Once you add in the next 10 largest black hoods and your looking at near the 80ish.

Majority to plurality of the causation is the same reason as today: Interpersonal conflicts / domestic violence. Other incidents such as gang/crew violence, drug trade, robberies, & serial killers varied by locale.

Drug related homicides varied by city and usually wasn't a majority of black homicides. Occasionally plurality but not always. Even in NYC 90s, it accounted about 30% of homicides.

Just sharing info from digging into old newspapers, sociological research papers, & UCR stats. Some things haven't changed to much.
I have looked at crime reports of Chicago from the 80s to early 90s and it's surprising that far fewer homicides were found to be gang-related than expected. There were also a lot of non-gun related homicides; back then, Chicago had a sizable proportion of knife killings, as many as they are total homicides in London. Another sizable portion was caused by beat downs and use of other weapons. 2016 actually had more people killed by a gun, proportionally and in raw numbers, than in any single year in the 90s or before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City