Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 02:39 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
And Atlanta is known for its film industry, CNN, Coke, Georgia Aquarium, having the largest international airport, and yuppie gentrified black population. Atlanta was seen as the most dangerous city back during the crunk days of the 2000s when almost every new rapper was from Atlanta.
Every large city has Corporate Headquarters. On Airports.

CHICAGO, March 13, 2019 -- Airports Council International (ACI). The ACI Report also confirms that Chicago-O’Hare has surpassed Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson Airport to become the busiest airport in the world for flight operations, following on FAA’s earlier findings that O’Hare is the busiest in the nation.

For the first time in four years, Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is not the busiest in the country. Chicago’s O’Hare has reclaimed the title.

O’Hare had a 4.2 percent increase in operations last year, with the total number of flight Chicago O'hare (arrivals plus departures) hitting 903,747, according to figures released today by the Federal Aviation Administration and the Chicago Department of Aviation. That was more than twice the 1.8 percent gain of Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, putting O’Hare ahead by just over 8,000 flights. Atlanta came in at 895,502 (arrivals plus departures).

The FAA counts take-offs and landings to declare a busiest.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/2/4/...midway-chicago

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...usiest-airport

*** It should be noted that Atlanta has a much much smaller city-proper size and population then Chicago.
PLEASE KEEP IT IN PERSPECTIVE.....

Crime does not lessen Chicago for its Global standing or being a TOP 10 GLOBAL BUSINESS CITY again.
KEEP THIS IN PERSPECTIVE....

Again, by the highly respected - AT Kearney Report.Chicago is in 8th place in the world.
No one doubts Asian cities on the rise will effect US City rankings too.

https://www.kearney.com/global-cities/2019

*** Large cities have many facets to what makes them. Crime does not change global business a city carries on and its place. Homeless numbers do not lessen SF in the Global economy and GDP either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 03:32 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
https://twitter.com/stacos/status/12...648039424?s=21

Another man shot and killed in Roxbury this afternoon.

Boston 34.

Old 07-22-2020, 04:44 PM

52 posts, read 48,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
You can add 2 more to Atlanta's already high count. The two happened outside a recording studio.

Atlanta's reputation is worse. At least Chicago has the hot dogs and pizza, lol.
What are you talking about? For some strange reason, you seem to love to paint Atlanta in a negative light. Atlanta’s homicide count in 2020 might be “high” compared to last decade’s standards but last decade was the safest decade in the City of Atlanta (and many other American cities) since the 60’s. We still have a ways to go before our murder rate can be considered decent but we are far from the early 90’s when we would get 230+ murders a year and when our murder rate peaked at 65 per 100k residents. Who knows how this decade is going to trend? Like I said earlier in the thread, Atlanta has its fair share of problems that need addressing. However, Atlanta’s reputation is definitely not worse than Chicago’s.

I love Chicago but I’d be lying if I said that the city doesn’t have a problem with its image. That is mostly due to the absurd amount of shootings as well as murders. The fact of the matter is that the average person doesn’t look too much into murder rates but instead at the raw numbers. The raw numbers paint a grim picture no matter how you slice it. When a headline reads 50+ shot and 20+ killed in a day, it’s not going to look good to the public. You can point to the murder rate and show people that per capita, there are more murderous cities in America but at the end of the day, they are going to look at the triple digit homicide number in Chicago that is more than the amount of NYC and LA combined. You have people that like to bring up the fact that downtown and the northern section of the city are relatively safe but you can’t compartmentalize a city for the sake of trying to prove how safe it is when there are sections of the city that are seeing shootings on a daily basis. I’m wishing the best for the City of Chicago.

With that being said, you can add 1 more to Atlanta’s count; 1 person has died after a triple shooting occurred in SW Atlanta today.

Old 07-22-2020, 04:58 PM

747 posts, read 496,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
https://twitter.com/stacos/status/12...648039424?s=21

Another man shot and killed in Roxbury this afternoon.

Boston 34.
Geez, I guess that poster who said Boston was soft spoke a bit too soon. A couple of people were touting Boston as this incredibly safe city just a few weeks ago. Then out of nowhere, it’s like 10-15 murders have been committed. It’s still pretty safe by most measures, but if these trends continue, it’s no longer in the class of Austin or San Diego like some posters were suggesting. I guess that’s why it’s important to just wait until the end of the year to make any firm judgments.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:09 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
Geez, I guess that poster who said Boston was soft spoke a bit too soon. A couple of people were touting Boston as this incredibly safe city just a few weeks ago. Then out of nowhere, it’s like 10-15 murders have been committed. It’s still pretty safe by most measures, but if these trends continue, it’s no longer in the class of Austin or San Diego like some posters were suggesting. I guess that’s why it’s important to just wait until the end of the year to make any firm judgments.
Last year was also an anomaly for Boston with 36 murders. Normally would be 50-70 murders. It's probably going to end up around 54-70 murders this year give or take with the whole metropolitan area having about 90-110 at current projections. Boston is by no means one of the safest cities, but it has a safe metro. But if we add Cambridge, Somerville, Chelsea, Everett, Quincy and a couple of other core towns .. there's like 2 more murders. 36 for a million residents. Not terrible. But not good.

Or do I not know what I'm talking about again? Your call.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Last year was also an anomaly for Boston with 36 murders. Normally would be 50-70 murders. It's probably going to end up around 54-70 murders this year give or take with the whole metropolitan area having about 90-110 at current projections. Boston is by no means one of the safest cities, but it has a safe metro. But if we add Cambridge, Somerville, Chelsea, Everett, Quincy and a couple of other core towns .. there's like 2 more murders. 36 for a million residents. Not terrible. But not good.

Or do I not know what I'm talking about again? Your call.
*39. The past three years yea 55-58 murders. It’s never been Austin or San Diego, only one person man said it was. The issue is it’s not a shared city issue, crime doesn’t really happen in most of Boston. But the places where crime happens. it REALLY happens. There have been 4 other people critically wounded this last week, hopefully they all make it.

Apparently there’s some kind of gang war in Roxbury/Dorchester. Roxbury has gotten hot all of a sudden. So has East Boston.

As for adding towns. Naw not how that works in the streets lol. Everett and wherever could have similar demographics but there’s a cultural and historical reasons Boston is more violent than most of the poorer cities in the state-an established gang culture/hierarchy. Boston access to bigger/better social networks/illicit networks. But to do that and be in Boston gangs you have to be tied inner city Boston by blood or birth basically.

The two teens killed in Dorchester last week were killed at the same spot as a teenager last year. A few day ago two people were shot at a vigil of a murder that happened last year. That victim was 19 years old. The main defense at in Boston’s largest RICO case since 2015, behind 5 homicides-is a 19 year old (https://youtu.be/W7Gmlwt1rAw) . its all very personal and starts when very young and very much local and on foot.

There’s tons of literature in Boston gang culture out there. USA Today, TIME, NYTimes, Scholarly studies etc. it’s a pretty open book-it effects a chunk of Boston, not an issue that really bleeds to other towns. By adding other towns your adding to the problem really because that make it easy to look the other way .

Some year places like Lynn or Chelsea will have 10-14 homicides and have a higher homicide rate than Boston. But even that’s like 18th Street MS-13 stuff. That really has nothing big to do with Boston’s gang culture really. That was cemented in the Late 80s. That Latino stuff to the north is newer.

Person stabbed and robbed in the south end 1 minute ago: https://twitter.com/stacos/status/12...701408257?s=21

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 07-22-2020 at 06:51 PM..

Old 07-22-2020, 06:39 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
*39. The past three years yea 55-58 murders. It’s never been Austin or San Diego, only one person man said it was. The issue is it’s not a shared city issue, crime doesn’t really happen in most of Boston But the places where crime happens. it REALLY happens. There have been 4 other people critically wounded this last week, hopefully they all make it.

Apparently there’s some kind of gang war in Roxbury/Dorchester. Roxbury has gotten hot all of a sudden. So has East Boston, two people were stabbed in the back at a party there last night. In the Southwest, Jamaica Plain Roslindale and Hyde Park have cooled off since the beginning of the year.
Ah yeah I forgot just yesterday a Randolph teen was shot in Stoughton. Really sad, he lived down the street from my old residence in Randolph. Gang activity has picked up a lot in Stoughton/Brockton this year.

But is that what is happening in the dot? When I was in my late teens I remember the gangs were pretty much disbanding in Roxbury and Southie. Obviously did not go away, or did not help the crime rate considerably. But the resurgence and addition/prevelance of the Latin Kings in Dorchester since 2017 has probably added fuel to the fire in surrounding neighborhoods. If I recall correctly, Hyde Park is a hotspot for Latin Kings? But the crime / violence / tension stays pretty dominant in Dot and Roxbury?

Old 07-22-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Ah yeah I forgot just yesterday a Randolph teen was shot in Stoughton. Really sad, he lived down the street from my old residence in Randolph. Gang activity has picked up a lot in Stoughton/Brockton this year.

But is that what is happening in the dot? When I was in my late teens I remember the gangs were pretty much disbanding in Roxbury and Southie. Obviously did not go away, or did not help the crime rate considerably. But the resurgence and addition/prevelance of the Latin Kings in Dorchester since 2017 has probably added fuel to the fire in surrounding neighborhoods. If I recall correctly, Hyde Park is a hotspot for Latin Kings? But the crime / violence / tension stays pretty dominant in Dot and Roxbury?
If you were in your teens in the late 90s you were there in the absolute low of youth crime. From 1997-1999 Boston once went 27 months without a youth homicide. In 1999 before shots potter and Social media to help police. Boston had Just 31 homicides.

By 2005 it was up to 75. George Bush era tax cuts and budget cuts to urban youth oriented programs devastated rec centers, the DYC, and many group for inner city kids. A bunch of criminal locked up I. The 90s got out in the mid 2000s.

It’s corona season, people are buying and selling drugs out of coping and necessity, the climate is tense, police are stressed. It is what it is. And these kids have been out of school and don’t see themselves ever going back to school.

Idk about Latin Kings in Hyde Park there’s the Wood Ave Eagles who are back and then the Back Block Money Gang which is actually just barely I. Mattapan. Georgetown’s homes is quiet. Beech Street in Roslindale is quiet but they did catch a 14 year old already on an ankle monitor with a pistol there last week. https://www.universalhub.com/crime/2...tooling-around

Old 07-22-2020, 07:24 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,394,321 times
Quote:
*39. The past three years yea 55-58 murders. It’s never been Austin or San Diego, only one person man said it was. The issue is it’s not a shared city issue, crime doesn’t really happen in most of Boston. But the places where crime happens. it REALLY happens. There have been 4 other people critically wounded this last week, hopefully they all make it.
Boston's a playground compared to Philly, Chicago, Baltimore.

I'm counting 34 homicides for Boston on Universal Hub.
DC has the same population, is praised for being "safe now," and still has 107 homicides.

The City of Philadelphia alone probably has more homicides in the last 30 days than the entire Boston CSA of 8.3 million has this year. Boston reminds me of Minneapolis where residents think their city is ghetto but in reality it's about as non-ghetto as a large American city could possibly get.

If Boston had a respectable land area like most cities outside of New England, Disneyland would have a higher murder rate.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 07-22-2020 at 07:37 PM..

Old 07-22-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Boston's a playground compared to Philly, Chicago, Baltimore.

I'm counting 34 homicides for Boston on Universal Hub.
34 homicides for 700k people.

DC has the same population, is praised for being "safe now," and still has 107 homicides.

The City of Philadelphia alone probably has more homicides in the last 30 days than the entire Boston CSA of 8.3 million has this year. Boston reminds me of Minneapolis where residents think their city is ghetto but in reality it's about as non-ghetto as a large American city could possibly get.

If Boston had a respectable land area like most cities outside of New England, Disneyland would have a higher murder rate.
You’re not wrong. But your are comparing it to the most violent cities in the western world so I’ dunno. I don’t think anyone thinks Boston ghetto. I just understand what goes on in the ghetto, I’m from there. I know the deceased, I know the incarcerated. It’s not an Austin or San Diego because of the intensity of the ghetto areas.

I don’t get the reflexive reaction by posters to inform two Boston residents who now live in the Philly area and Baltimore that Boston’s not as dangerous as Bmore or Philly. No duh-we know that. We’re just talking about what’s going on in the city where crime does happen, why is that offensive?

As for the CSA it’s the most sprawling CSA In the US and 2nd biggest in land area. Land wise is a bigger CSA than Los Angeles. Most of the CSA is rural. Nothing happens.

Also no one praises DC for being safe. Just for being safer than being a murder capital like it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City