Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2020, 12:19 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mw1981 View Post
South LA has always been active in gang violence, but saying half of the homicides are in the black community to me personally is false. I used to stay off Florence and Budlong and Spruce Street in Inglewood so I'm familiar with South LA.

I'm also a black person who used to stay in the Avenues so I'm familiar with Northeast LA, San Fernando Valley and Boyle Heights. I actually used to work for a company located directly across the street from San Fernando Gardens Housing Projects.

Not knowing people in those areas or not being from there can get you killed. I can't count all the times I've been asked What hood you claim? Where you from homie? Do you bang or what??? What you doin over here? This my barrio... What's up (Yes, responding to this simple question in LA can cost you your life)... Or all the times I've been whistled at by members of Southside Florencia 13 after getting off the 111 on the east side of the Blue Line....

I've lived or have family in Chicago, Detroit, Toledo, Dallas-Fort Worth, Inglewood, Gary, IN, Norfolk Va, Orlando, Cleveland, Dayton, Jackson MS, Atlanta, Brooklyn, DC, St. Louis. I'm familiar with all these places...

In LA, the Hispanic hoods to me are the most active and can no doubt present more danger than any of the black hoods I've lived in or been to in the city and in the entire USA. The same can be said in any city. Ask the residence staying off Alameda and Federal in West Denver how safe they feel the city of Denver is to them.

By the way, I'm a distant cousin to the Youtuber CharlieBo313 who drives across the country filming bad neighborhoods. Our family is huge and spread out across the US to the point we can literally go into any bad part of town and not have a problem....
No truth in this. And we can see that by looking at homicide and crime rate by race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 01:07 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,456,080 times
St. Louis has had 215 homicides so far this year, compared to 164 at the same time last year. Looking at a final homicide rate of 84-85 per 100K

Old 10-26-2020, 02:53 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,096,281 times
Quote:
South LA has always been active in gang violence, but saying half of the homicides are in the black community to me personally is false. I used to stay off Florence and Budlong and Spruce Street in Inglewood so I'm familiar with South LA.

I'm also a black person who used to stay in the Avenues so I'm familiar with Northeast LA, San Fernando Valley and Boyle Heights. I actually used to work for a company located directly across the street from San Fernando Gardens Housing Projects.

Not knowing people in those areas or not being from there can get you killed. I can't count all the times I've been asked What hood you claim? Where you from homie? Do you bang or what??? What you doin over here? This my barrio... What's up (Yes, responding to this simple question in LA can cost you your life)... Or all the times I've been whistled at by members of Southside Florencia 13 after getting off the 111 on the east side of the Blue Line....

I've lived or have family in Chicago, Detroit, Toledo, Dallas-Fort Worth, Inglewood, Gary, IN, Norfolk Va, Orlando, Cleveland, Dayton, Jackson MS, Atlanta, Brooklyn, DC, St. Louis. I'm familiar with all these places...

In LA, the Hispanic hoods to me are the most active and can no doubt present more danger than any of the black hoods I've lived in or been to in the city and in the entire USA. The same can be said in any city. Ask the residence staying off Alameda and Federal in West Denver how safe they feel the city of Denver is to them.

By the way, I'm a distant cousin to the Youtuber CharlieBo313 who drives across the country filming bad neighborhoods. Our family is huge and spread out across the US to the point we can literally go into any bad part of town and not have a problem....
Do you have family in Jackson or you lived there before?

Old 10-26-2020, 03:42 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,118,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No truth in this. And we can see that by looking at homicide and crime rate by race.
What he said is true if you're Black in LA in hispanic gang-territory. There's always been racial tension between blacks and hispanics in LA. Spanish gangs have target innocent black people going so far as firebombing a few apartments to drive out blacks from the area. It's not something I expect the average joe outside of SoCal to know, but if you have relatives in LA or know someone in that lifestyle, then you know what's up. It's died down from it's peak in the 90s early 2000's but it's still around. AFAIK, this is something unique to LA , because the racial gang wars don't happen in the bay area at all, and if they do, it's from the LA-based gangs that are in the Bay Area.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
What he said is true if you're Black in LA in hispanic gang-territory. There's always been racial tension between blacks and hispanics in LA. Spanish gangs have target innocent black people going so far as firebombing a few apartments to drive out blacks from the area. It's not something I expect the average joe outside of SoCal to know, but if you have relatives in LA or know someone in that lifestyle, then you know what's up. It's died down from it's peak in the 90s early 2000's but it's still around. AFAIK, this is something unique to LA , because the racial gang wars don't happen in the bay area at all, and if they do, it's from the LA-based gangs that are in the Bay Area.
Yea in LA. The part I highlighted had nothing to do with LA.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:26 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,971,651 times
Quote:

You are correct. Blacks are not half of homicide victims in LA. Blacks are somewhere between 34-39% depending on whether you are looking at the city or county numbers. As you point out, Hispanic victims make up the largest share of homicide victims in LA. I don't know that you can say that Hispanic hoods are worse based on those numbers, since the number of Hispanic victims is pretty proportional to the overall percent of residents that are Hispanic.

Numbers from the LA Times Homicide Report, which lag a bit from official Compstat numbers, but allow breakdown by race:

2020-
LA County: 524 (1 listed as unkown race)
Hispanic: 261 (48% of county pop, 50% of homicide victims)
Black: 177 (9% of county pop, 34% of homicide victims)
White: 55 (Whites are 28% of county pop, 17 of the White victims were Middle-Eastern, but I'm not sure what percentage of the 'white' population is Middle Eastern. White as a whole were 10% of homicide victims)
Asian: 26 (14% of county pop, 5% of homicide victims)

LA City: 240
Hispanic: 110 (49% of city pop, 46% of homicide victims)
Black: 94 (9% of city pop, 39% of homicide victims)
White: 24 (29% of city pop, 10 of the white victims were Middle Eastern, 'white' as a whole were 10% of homicide victims)
Asian: 10 (12% of city pop, 4% of homicide victims)

Old 10-26-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
You are correct. Blacks are not half of homicide victims in LA. Blacks are somewhere between 34-39% depending on whether you are looking at the city or county numbers. As you point out, Hispanic victims make up the largest share of homicide victims in LA. I don't know that you can say that Hispanic hoods are worse based on those numbers, since the number of Hispanic victims is pretty proportional to the overall percent of residents that are Hispanic.

Numbers from the LA Times Homicide Report, which lag a bit from official Compstat numbers, but allow breakdown by race:

2020-
LA County: 524 (1 listed as unkown race)
Hispanic: 261 (48% of county pop, 50% of homicide victims)
Black: 177 (9% of county pop, 34% of homicide victims)
White: 55 (Whites are 28% of county pop, 17 of the White victims were Middle-Eastern, but I'm not sure what percentage of the 'white' population is Middle Eastern. White as a whole were 10% of homicide victims)
Asian: 26 (14% of county pop, 5% of homicide victims)

LA City: 240
Hispanic: 110 (49% of city pop, 46% of homicide victims)
Black: 94 (9% of city pop, 39% of homicide victims)
White: 24 (29% of city pop, 10 of the white victims were Middle Eastern, 'white' as a whole were 10% of homicide victims)
Asian: 10 (12% of city pop, 4% of homicide victims)
Hispanics have the highest percent of victims. All this did was validate his claim. And I'm certain 50% of the white victims are hispanics who identify as white on the census.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Hispanics have the highest percent of victims. All this did was validate his claim. And I'm certain 50% of the white victims are hispanics who identify as white on the census.
Bruh.. This is basic math

Obviously Black people are wayyy more likely to get shot. 4x more likely.

His claim was 100% invalid.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:25 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,971,651 times
Quote:
I'm not arguing against his claim, it is valid that there are more Hispanic victims than Black. I was just pointing out the nuance that that doesn't mean that Hispanic neighborhoods are more dangerous.

You may be certain about 50% of the White victims being Hispanic, but you are wrong. There were 5 homicides in the county (including those in the city) with Spanish last names that were listed as white. 2 more that I think were Italian names but may have been Spanish. In any event, it isn't anywhere close to half of the white homicide victims. Middle Eastern, specifically Armenian and Persian, were a much higher percentage of the white victims than white Hispanic people.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Bruh.. This is basic math

Obviously Black people are wayyy more likely to get shot. 4x more likely.

His claim was 100% invalid.
Top 5 Neighborhoods Violent Crime

1Chesterfield Square 127 per capita | 58% African American
2Vermont Vista 122 per capita | 52% Hispanic
3Vermont Knolls 110 per capita | 54.5% Hispanic
4Harvard Park 109 per capita | 48.4 African American 48.2 Hispanic basically a drawl.
5Broadway-Manchester 105 per capita | 59% Hispanic

People lie, numbers don't. 3 out of 5 violent neighborhoods are hisapnic-majority. Let's see how you try and spin the numbers to fit your (racist) agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City