Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2020, 06:03 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee at 162 is on the path to hit 200 for the first time. Only 30% have charges filed.
https://projects.jsonline.com/apps/M...cide-Database/

Chicago is right at where it had all year in 2017. It's projected to hit 800+, given last week's end had already 5% more homicides than in 2016. I actually think it will fall below that. Depending on what happens starting next week, there could be another huge spike, but lets hope that won't happen.

In other news, there were 7 paintball shootings across the city, 208 in September and October. A man has lost an eye in recent string, and 6 have been arrested.
https://abc7chicago.com/paintball-sh...ville/7477183/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 06:32 PM

552 posts, read 408,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Homicides doesn't include justified & police related incidents. Therefore won't be recorded as such.
It's literally called justifiable "homicide" in legaleze.

Old 10-31-2020, 07:00 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
Quote:
Homicides doesn't include justified & police related incidents. Therefore won't be recorded as such.
Wrong. Homicide is a cause of death on a death certificate, not a criminal charge. It means someone that was killed by someone else, and it is the number reported out in LA and many other cities by the coroner and police department. Murder/manslaughter are criminal charges, and do not include homicides that are ruled justified. Whether a homicide is justified or not can take the DA/courts years to decide.

Old 10-31-2020, 07:05 PM

9 posts, read 5,817 times
Quote:
Do you have family in Jackson or you lived there before?
Never lived there, but yes I have family in Jackson as well as Hattiesburg and definitely in Meridian and Bessemer, AL.... Our family tree originated out of Meridian... There's streets and funeral homes bearing our last name...

Old 10-31-2020, 07:12 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
Virginia Beach is the safest large city in the US.

https://www.wtkr.com/news/good-news/...ca-study-shows

Old 10-31-2020, 07:13 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
It's literally called justifiable "homicide" in legaleze.
A lot of folks are ignorant of legal definitions, and use them interchangeably, even though that isn't correct. The one I see the general public misuse even more is robbery vs burglary, which is made more confusing in American English since nobody uses the world burgled as a verb (outside of maybe the Hamburglar).

Robbery is a violent crime where something is taken directly from another person with force or threat of force, like a mugging or a breaking into a house when someone is home (AKA home invasion).

Burglary is stealing something without an interaction with the owner, like breaking into a car parked on the street or a house when the owners are at work. It is considered a property crime.

Old 10-31-2020, 07:16 PM

9 posts, read 5,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
13 homicides over the last 2 weeks. LA through 10/24:

2020- 268
2019- 217
2018- 206

An article in the LA Times today on the spike in murders. They mostly talk about LAPD Central Bureau, which includes a bunch of parts of random, unrelated neighborhoods in LA near to Downtown. It's made up of Central Division (Downtown), Hollenbeck Division (The parts of East LA that are in city limits, like Boyle Heights, as well as a little bit of NE LA), Northeast Division (The rest of NE LA + Central LA neighborhoods like Los Feliz, Silver Lake, parts of E. Hollywood, and parts of Echo Park), Rampart Division (MacArthur Park as well as parts of Echo Park and E. Hollywood), and Newton Division (part of South LA) Looking at the 80 that occurred in Central Bureau, half were gang associated. 37% of victims were homeless, and usually their killers are also homeless. You occasionally get a homeless person killed by a non-homeless gang member, but those murders tend to make the news because it is rare.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ge-in-killings

RIP Freddie.... I used to work in Echo Park, and I ran into Freddie in front of my job on Glendale. He told me he'd do anything for work and to get off the streets... He became homeless after being released from prison. Unfortunately shortly after we met, he got into a scuffle with another homeless person in front of the Post Office on Alvarado. That's where he was beat to death. He wasn't even added to the LA County Homicide statistics that year. Only thing that happened was RIP Freddie was spray painted on the walls of almost every building in Echo Park.... Case never solved, but the streets know who did it....

Old 11-01-2020, 09:58 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Milwaukee at 162 is on the path to hit 200 for the first time. Only 30% have charges filed.
https://projects.jsonline.com/apps/M...cide-Database/

Chicago is right at where it had all year in 2017. It's projected to hit 800+, given last week's end had already 5% more homicides than in 2016. I actually think it will fall below that. Depending on what happens starting next week, there could be another huge spike, but lets hope that won't happen.

In other news, there were 7 paintball shootings across the city, 208 in September and October. A man has lost an eye in recent string, and 6 have been arrested.
https://abc7chicago.com/paintball-sh...ville/7477183/
But Chicago's only at 650~ right now and Chicago getting very cold in the winter slows the rate down alot. I dont see Chicago hitting 800 this year.

Old 11-01-2020, 10:07 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Ikr. I was so happy that Chicago had less than 500 last year, but I saw multiple reputable news sources posting like 518 or something and it kind of irritated me because I wanted everyone to know for sure that Chicago was getting safer.

Old 11-01-2020, 10:21 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
https://www.lowellsun.com/a-month-la...well-mans-life

Lowell MA, 5. Man shot a month ago dies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City