Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2020, 12:02 PM

552 posts, read 408,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You do realize that every city has these good areas, with extraordinarily low violent crime, right? So Baltimore with those areas still had a decade murder rate approaching 45/100, what do you think the rates in its most violent areas looks like?

I'm not sure what your reason for debate is. Chicago's homicide issue is a real issue but is overstated simply because it is a worse issue for many other cities. That's not really refutable...
The reason for debate is that you are saying Chicago's violence is overrated. I'm arguing Chicago's worst neighborhoods are as bad as anywhere. Just analyzing rates leaves out a lot of context.

St. Louis and Detroit etc. have far more poverty and disinvestment proportionally than Chicago. Every city may have "good areas" but how much of the city do they account for? The greater downtown is around 250K residents and the Northside is around 1.2 million.

In a year like 2016 when the violence spiked that's about 75 homicides for 1.45 million people in Chicago with the remainder having a rate of around 50 per 100k. Add 75 homicides and 1.45 million people to Baltimore and the rate would be 22 in 2016. So if Baltimore's rate was 22 would you now say that the violence is "overrated" and "overstated" or would you think the violent neighborhoods in Baltimore were as bad as anywhere in the nation?

This is the same logic you can apply to St. Louis and Detroit. Gary always has a much higher rate than Chicago and was 77.8 in 2019 but it's not a like for like comparison for obvious reasons. Or are you of the mindset that Gary is much worse than Baltimore whose violence is just overrated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 12:50 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,097,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice55 View Post
Its because LA as a whole isn't dangerous like say St Louis or Baltimore. But South Los Angeles itself is bad and if you're black, it's very bad when you look at the Black on Black murder rate.

But this isn't just in Los Angeles, I believe the Black on Black crime stats is bad all over the country.
The context here is that a small percantage contribute to the black homicide rate and it's more layers to it. Region and type of place ( Large city/ Surburb/ Small town / Rural) will have different rates.

Overall the top 10 urban black communities contributes about 58% or so of the nationwide black homicides stats.

Old 11-08-2020, 01:04 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
A shooting last night brings Seattle to 43

https://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2...10th-and-pike/

Old 11-08-2020, 01:14 PM

552 posts, read 408,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice55 View Post
Idk if Drill is the most realest and savage, Banging on Wax was the Original drill scene in LA and it was literally at the height of the deadly era of the 90's. Imagine if we had social media back in the 80's and 90's ??
F The Police is probably the hardest rap song ever recorded.

To me drill is mostly a teenage kid wave where *****'s is really putting in work but they just rap about dissing oops for instagram views. In LA the Banging on Wax thing was done by grown men from serious rival sets that killed each other before and after the Blood and Crip album dropped.

I'm talking about LA having over 1000k homicides for 4 years straight in that Banging on Wax era.I dont think Chicago ever put up those kinda homicide numbers consecutively in a 4 to 5 year stretch.

Rapping about killing enemies, shooting up funerals and kicking over candles was being done by LA gangs 30 years ago. I think the benefit of having social media blew Chicago up because it always had a serious gang culture. New Orleans had a serious gangsta rap scene in the late 90's too.

But Its gonna be real nteresting to see how the Chi Raq kids retaliate for they fallen soldier though. R.I.P to Von
Drill isn't for Instagram likes, it's just a means to flex. Drill is literally sliding on the other side and the music was named after it. The killings have always been the result of real life street conflict with real gangs that date back to the 1950's in Chicago and all the politics that comes with that. They are just built so different that they would openly taunt each other about real killings or robberies on social media.

F the Police was a song recorded by studio gangsters. Bangin on Wax was a contrived, collaborative effort with auditions held for who rapped.

Drill is real life gang members that grew a culture and sound organically talking about real crime scenes, locations, names, times etc. They even talk in detail about the position a body was found, where they got hit, how many times, what they were wearing etc. No rap scene has ever been that savage. Not to mention the fact that quite a few have mainstream success, large followings and millions. This has been going on a decade now and so many have been killed or are in prison for murder that the numbers are staggering.

Drill is a very different phenomenon than putting out a series of mixtapes from Vice Lords and B.D's that come together to make records.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:45 PM

29 posts, read 16,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Drill isn't for Instagram likes, it's just a means to flex. Drill is literally sliding on the other side and the music was named after it. The killings have always been the result of real life street conflict with real gangs that date back to the 1950's in Chicago and all the politics that comes with that. They are just built so different that they would openly taunt each other about real killings or robberies on social media.

F the Police was a song recorded by studio gangsters. Bangin on Wax was a contrived, collaborative effort with auditions held for who rapped.

Drill is real life gang members that grew a culture and sound organically talking about real crime scenes, locations, names, times etc. They even talk in detail about the position a body was found, where they got hit, how many times, what they were wearing etc. No rap scene has ever been that savage. Not to mention the fact that quite a few have mainstream success, large followings and millions. This has been going on a decade now and so many have been killed or are in prison for murder that the numbers are staggering.

Drill is a very different phenomenon than putting out a series of mixtapes from Vice Lords and B.D's that come together to make records.
EazyE wasnt a studio gangsta and nor was MC Ren,
Cube was raised in it but he's more so affiliated than anything else. Banging on Wax wasn't a scene, it's under the Gangsta rap era. Cop killa by Ice T is another example.

Deathrow records was ran like the Mob, cops on the payroll, unsolved gang murders & mafia style shootings.

Chief keef admitted he was influenced by 50 Cent,
50 Cent said his influence was NWA & 2pac,

But we can agree to disagree, I see Drill as an emulation of Trap musik from Atlanta. Kids Rapping about selling drugs and killing your enemies been done decades ago.

Banging on Wax was exactly what Drill was 30 years ago. Real gang members talking about real killings and shootings. Like I said imagine if Instagram was around back than. RAP beef today is publicized by Dj Akademiks and Instagram videos. When New York & LA had over 2,000 murders in 1 year ,it would've broke the internet back in the day.

When Tim Dog said F Compton & L.A, that literally set off a bi coastal war. I'll even say Drill is a Sub genre of Gangsta rap.

What do you think the gangs in LA rap about today ? The same things they rapped about 35 years ago but now they upload gang activity on YouTube and Instagram. They killed Nipsey on camera, killed Pop Smoke and surrounded Lil Wayne & Birdman car some years ago.
It's just a new form of Gangsta rap. In Chicago y'all just call it drill.

Old 11-08-2020, 08:27 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
But I’m not seeing a lot of it getting filtered out, I saw plenty of coverage on what was happening in philly the other day, so again, don’t know what these people are talking about.
There was coverage of the rioting and looting in the immediate aftermath of the police shooting, and then it dropped off. I actually have no idea if things quietened down in Philly or not since then. Since the media have said almost nothing. I guess should assume and hope for the best!

Old 11-08-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Again I ASKED FOR A VIDEO OF A FEDERAL BUILDING GETTING BURNT DOWN,
You asked me for a video to prove something I never said.

I never said they burned down a federal building. I said they "tried" to burn it down. They never were successful in doing so. But it was not for lack of trying.

Old 11-08-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
What’s newsworthy about some stupid neighborhood thing?(...). That’s the reason why it’s not newsworthy, is because this is a country of 330 million people, a few incidents in a neighborhood in Portland of people getting rowdy IS LITERALLY NOTHING compared to other national issues.

d.
Stupid neighbourhood thing. Yeah, happens in my neighbourhood all the time! Except... no it doesn't.

Homeowners, business owners, restaurant patrons, passersby on the street, motorists, etc. are getting intimidated by violent mobs all over your country, and this isn't newsworthy?

Old 11-08-2020, 09:06 PM

561 posts, read 514,295 times
Omaha now at 37 homicides for 2020-

https://omaha.com/news/local/crime-a...me-top-story-1

Old 11-09-2020, 07:11 AM

824 posts, read 712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Stupid neighbourhood thing. Yeah, happens in my neighbourhood all the time! Except... no it doesn't.

Homeowners, business owners, restaurant patrons, passersby on the street, motorists, etc. are getting intimidated by violent mobs all over your country, and this isn't newsworthy?
Honestly, Until I see hard data showing this a significant beyond some Twitter videos, no it’s not newsworthy.

You even say so yourself, doesn’t happen in your neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City