Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2020, 11:07 AM

29 posts, read 16,283 times

Advertisements

I wanna touch on murder rate, I think it being based on population is kinda overrated. Of course more people gonna mean more murders but I don't think the smaller cities like Gary or Flint is more dangerous than a Brooklyn or Houston because every city has good and bad parts & the smaller cities are more likely to have more bad area's than the bigger cities.

A better comparison is to see how bad neighborhoods match up with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 01:20 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice55 View Post
I wanna touch on murder rate, I think it being based on population is kinda overrated. Of course more people gonna mean more murders but I don't think the smaller cities like Gary or Flint is more dangerous than a Brooklyn or Houston because every city has good and bad parts & the smaller cities are more likely to have more bad area's than the bigger cities.

The "small city" murder rate distortions actually only really applies to very small places. Say a town of 1000 people has five people murdered in a single freak incident. Then it would have a sky-high homicide rate per 100,000 for that year.

But places like Flint and Gary are large enough with tens of thousands of people, for murder rates of 40 or 50 per 100,000 to be legitimately alarming.

My city has about 285,000 people and the built up area where most everyone lives is about 75 sq mi. So similar to St. Louis. Another part within the city limits is largely unpopulated.

I know many Americans have avoiding bad areas of cities down to a science, but still just thinking about the amount of murders one sees in St. Louis (250?) and the geography of a city of that size (I live in one)... even if you live in a really nice area and you avoid all the bad ones, at least several of those are going to be too close for comfort.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:32 PM

29 posts, read 16,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The "small city" murder rate distortions actually only really applies to very small places. Say a town of 1000 people has five people murdered in a single freak incident. Then it would have a sky-high homicide rate per 100,000 for that year.

But places like Flint and Gary are large enough with tens of thousands of people, for murder rates of 40 or 50 per 100,000 to be legitimately alarming.

My city has about 285,000 people and the built up area where most everyone lives is about 75 sq mi. So similar to St. Louis. Another part within the city limits is largely unpopulated.

I know many Americans have avoiding bad areas of cities down to a science, but still just thinking about the amount of murders one sees in St. Louis (250?) and the geography of a city of that size (I live in one)... even if you live in a really nice area and you avoid all the bad ones, at least several of those are going to be too close for comfort.

I absolutely agree, St Louis and New Orleans have always had high murder rates throughout history. It's a generational process in certain areas.

But I still think the core of what makes a city dangerous is the number of run down neighborhoods and the poor education system.

In a city like New York or Los Angeles, one can walk outside and take the subway next to a millionaire or visit the Hollywood walk of fame and than literally 15 minutes away it's nothing but liquor stores and project's in the areas where blacks and hispanics occupy. It's segregation in every city due to what I call a broken system that was built on racism.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:38 PM

2,657 posts, read 2,102,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice55 View Post

Perhaps for some smallish large cities but generally i doubt it.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:24 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
Quote:
Ottawa is actually at 9 as of yesterday.
I am surprised Ottawa has so few, it is over 300k people more than here and quite a bit less homocides.

Last year was 44 homocides rate 5.9%, this year is 37.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:53 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
I am surprised Ottawa has so few, it is over 300k people more than here and quite a bit less homocides.

Last year was 44 homocides rate 5.9%, this year is 37.
In recent years Ottawa has been more around 15-20. But it is always lower than Winnipeg.

Different demographics and socio-economics.

Old 11-14-2020, 12:07 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Flint is at 45 homicides this year according to Flint police: link. This is an increase of 7% over the same period last year. I would have expected the number to be lower compared to last year because of the lockdowns and people staying inside but apparently not.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:15 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:

St. Louis is both large and small enough to have areas that are safe bubbles, while those same areas do run the high risk of some "spill", considering the city's very high murder rate. This is true for even cities with much lower murder rates.( Overall violent crime rates still could be on the higher end though.)

In St. Louis city, there are currently 21( out of 79) neighborhoods that are homicide-free; of which, 11 are south and 10 are central.

Old 11-14-2020, 08:44 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,974,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
13 homicides over the last 2 weeks. LA through 10/24:

2020- 268
2019- 217
2018- 206
LAPD finally released an update yesterday. Usually they release numbers every Tues, but they skipped Election Day and then didn't release numbers until Friday this week. Numbers through Saturday, 11/7/20:

2020- 285
2019- 228
2018- 219

LA is going to end up over 300 for the year.

Old 11-14-2020, 11:37 AM

163 posts, read 90,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
LAPD finally released an update yesterday. Usually they release numbers every Tues, but they skipped Election Day and then didn't release numbers until Friday this week. Numbers through Saturday, 11/7/20:

2020- 285
2019- 228
2018- 219

LA is going to end up over 300 for the year.
Murder is up in alot of big cities this year. Chicago will hit 700. NY already hit 400. LA approaching 300. Dallas passed 200. Houston approaching 400. Philly passing 400. Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City