Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2020, 08:36 PM

142 posts, read 193,689 times

Advertisements

Baltimore currently at 21
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 08:55 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Atlanta currently at 3 with the latest homicide reported on the 16th according to the open data portal.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:41 PM

832 posts, read 1,254,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Per/capita is the absolute baseline measuring metric and doesn't directly correlate to real world safety. In the real world Baltimore, Philly, St. Louis or Chicago might as well be Disney-world compared to some of the inner cities in Brazil or Mexico.

I'd also put paychecks that a substantial amount of murders in Brazil/Mexicos get swept under the rug let alone are reported.
In 2018, B'more was the 23rd world most violent city, Chicago was not even in that list... So their homicide rate are very different, That's a violent disneyland

Old 01-23-2020, 01:35 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,816 times
Austin is now at 5.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:39 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Maybe they changed their methodology, but the Sun Times appears to be the actual count. It's the Tribune that overcounts by a small number.

The Sun Times has Chicago at 23. The Tribune has it at 25. In any case, the Tribune's count is 7 more than their count at this time last year. It's very early, but it seems that Chicago's pompom-waving about the drop in murders was obscenely premature.
Homicide counts in January have no correlation with the year end total. I looked at Philly's YTD totals and compared them with the year end totals. Absolutely no pattern whatsoever.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:35 AM

817 posts, read 598,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Homicide counts in January have no correlation with the year end total. I looked at Philly's YTD totals and compared them with the year end totals. Absolutely no pattern whatsoever.
In Chicago there is such a general correlation. The higher the murder rate un January (2016-2018) the higher the murder rate for the year. The Tribune helpfully diagrams that here:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...htmlstory.html

Old 01-23-2020, 03:53 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
In 2018, B'more was the 23rd world most violent city, Chicago was not even in that list...
You do realize everything is relative?... I currently live in Japan and to the average local, every American city might as well be Iraq/Syria in comparison by that logic.

I don't care if you live in Baltimore (where I grew up at), New Orleans, Detroit, St. Louis, Philly, Chicago or any other "dangerous" American city. To even begin to compare them to the some of the lunacy that goes on in other less fortunate places in the world is beyond comical.

Homicide rate has zero connection with the why's, who's, what's or wheres.. which are always more important than the end figure because it gives zero context. Law abiding citizens aren't kidnapped, executed, dismembered or set on fire publicly in Baltimore. There's not drug wars being fought by cartels in downtown with machine guns mounted to pick up trucks in Baltimore, nor is there active government/political parties that not only participate in all those things but help cover them up.

You know.... the things that happen on a daily bases in multiple Mexican, Brazilian or Venezuelan cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
So their homicide rate are very different, That's a violent disneyland
Since we are using Baltimore as "target practice"... lets dig in.

98% of murders in the city are committed by an African American killing another African American. Of those, something like 95% are either over interpersonal disputes or narcotics. 80% of the cities homicides are committed in something like 25% of the cities neighborhoods with the vast majority being poor. So the people who are affected by Baltimore's tragic murder rate are quite literally confined to one demographic (African Americans and specifically poor ones).

That is complete Apples to Oranges on what goes down in the cities ranked above it like Tijuana, Fortaleza or Caracas where the entire demographic spectrum of the city is actively targeted or participates.

So once again... compared to them Baltimore might as well be Disney-land

Last edited by Joakim3; 01-23-2020 at 04:47 AM..

Old 01-23-2020, 06:29 AM

6,559 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Seattle just had a shooting incident in Downtown's Belltown area in which 6 people were shot and at least 1 fatality.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:04 AM

142 posts, read 193,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
You do realize everything is relative?... I currently live in Japan and to the average local, every American city might as well be Iraq/Syria in comparison by that logic.

I don't care if you live in Baltimore (where I grew up at), New Orleans, Detroit, St. Louis, Philly, Chicago or any other "dangerous" American city. To even begin to compare them to the some of the lunacy that goes on in other less fortunate places in the world is beyond comical.

Homicide rate has zero connection with the why's, who's, what's or wheres.. which are always more important than the end figure because it gives zero context. Law abiding citizens aren't kidnapped, executed, dismembered or set on fire publicly in Baltimore. There's not drug wars being fought by cartels in downtown with machine guns mounted to pick up trucks in Baltimore, nor is there active government/political parties that not only participate in all those things but help cover them up.

You know.... the things that happen on a daily bases in multiple Mexican, Brazilian or Venezuelan cities.

Since we are using Baltimore as "target practice"... lets dig in.

98% of murders in the city are committed by an African American killing another African American. Of those, something like 95% are either over interpersonal disputes or narcotics. 80% of the cities homicides are committed in something like 25% of the cities neighborhoods with the vast majority being poor. So the people who are affected by Baltimore's tragic murder rate are quite literally confined to one demographic (African Americans and specifically poor ones).

That is complete Apples to Oranges on what goes down in the cities ranked above it like Tijuana, Fortaleza or Caracas where the entire demographic spectrum of the city is actively targeted or participates.

So once again... compared to them Baltimore might as well be Disney-land
From Baltimore as well and I agree with everything said. The average person in any U.S city no matter how bad typically won't have to worry about what the average citizen in a cartel ridden city might have to.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:41 AM

212 posts, read 147,613 times
for the texas cities
Dallas-14
Hoston-6
Austin-5
San Antonio-8

Pls correct me if i'm wrong This is what I got from the articles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City