Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I move to?
Greenville SC 20 28.17%
Fayetteville AR 13 18.31%
Chattanooga TN 13 18.31%
Huntsville AL 10 14.08%
Stay in San Francisco CA 15 21.13%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 03:37 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,667,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
In my view, if somebody views Greenville being somewhat near Charlotte and Atlanta as a big plus, they would be better off living in one of those cities.

I think the people who like Greenville best are people who don't like big cities.
Didn't realize just how large the "Greater Greenville"/Upstate SC area was, population-wise. 1.5 Million people now in the CSA, 39th largest (ahead of: Hartford, Oklahoma City, Memphis, Birmingham, Buffalo-shocking). Obviously somewhat spread out... but still, I mean not terribly, Greenville and Spartanburg are only about 40 minutes apart. It seems to have "enough" from the standpoint of having some level of urbanity, culture, air travel, big-time sports to meet my minimum level of criteria.. with the added bonus of a low COL, mountains, moderate climate, and a generally relaxed pace for family, with proximity to vibrancy/networking in larger markets, etc. when I wanted it... I think I could be very happy there-I wouldn't think twice if I had a good opportunity in the vicinity, esp. considering it is still growing healthfully.

OP-Fayetteville wasn't as high on my subjective list of these-but I think you'll be happy there-and I hear the economy is very healthy and growing, so you should have plenty of opportunity there. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 04:17 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Greenville bonus -- close to Asheville.
I don't think most people in Greenville go to Asheville much. Greenville has more and a nicer downtown area.

Old 01-15-2020, 04:32 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,667,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I don't think most people in Greenville go to Asheville much. Greenville has more and a nicer downtown area.
I would actually tend to agree-now, Asheville does have certain unique appeals, like touring the Biltmore, craft beer scene, and generally being known as a hub of quirkiness, but with that being said, I think that day to day, I'd find more to do and be entertained by in Greenville than Asheville. Asheville's primary advantage might be that it rests within the mountains as opposed to on the edge of them, but even that is suspect. From Greenville, you can get to Paris Mountain in 15 minutes, Table Rock in 45 minutes, and Macon County, individually so far at least my favorite area of the Smokies, in 90... but you also have the advantage of not being "amongst the mountains", which makes getting around, etc. easier.

Old 01-15-2020, 04:42 PM

Many Greenville residents go to the western NC mountains a good bit and might stop in Asheville for something to eat but can't see it being a regular destination.

Greenville has several breweries.

Old 01-15-2020, 04:55 PM

The quirkiness in Asheville is basically boring people during weird things for attention. Some of them are abusing drugs. I think that's a reason not to go to Asheville for most people.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:19 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,127,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piranha89 View Post
I've decided I'm moving to Fayetteville, Arkansas
That'd be my pick. Greenville and Chattanooga have lots of people passing through and a lot more people around them and are already on their price upswing a little ways. AR is less dramatic than the spine of the Appalachians but there's a lot of variety within the state and its much more under the radar and unexplored. There's lots of outdoor rec right there. Also the culture was less conformist to any one mold; people do their own thing and there's interesting mixes of hippy, granola, old school, baptist, backwoods, upscale... within the same person.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:28 PM

513 posts, read 576,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Didn't realize just how large the "Greater Greenville"/Upstate SC area was, population-wise. 1.5 Million people now in the CSA, 39th largest (ahead of: Hartford, Oklahoma City, Memphis, Birmingham, Buffalo-shocking). Obviously somewhat spread out... but still, I mean not terribly, Greenville and Spartanburg are only about 40 minutes apart.
Good post and I think the area population tends to surprise a lot folks. To be fair, the 1.5MM figure is correct, but includes some areas pretty far removed from a lot things, like Laurens, Greenwood, and Union counties. On the other hand, the bulk of the population is pretty close together.
Greenville county: 514 k
Spartanburg co: 314 k
Anderson co: 200 k

Just those 3 neighboring counties would be about 1,030,000. Add in neighboring Pickens co and you're up to 1,155,000 as of July 2018 (per census bureau estimates). So most of that population base is pretty close together.

Old 01-16-2020, 05:39 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,405,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piranha89 View Post
I've decided I'm moving to Fayetteville, Arkansas
I just voted and voted for where you decided to go. I really was surprised at how much wife and I loved NW Arkansas. It is the fastest growing of those considered. It has a nice vibe about it and a unique feeling of newness, small town with city amenities. If you love growth this is the one to select. Keep us updated. Good luck

Old 01-16-2020, 09:29 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,585,299 times
Quote:
Also the culture was less conformist to any one mold; people do their own thing and there's interesting mixes of hippy, granola, old school, baptist, backwoods, upscale... within the same person.
Lol that made be chuckle.

Hey, I resemble this remark (though my religion is a different mainstream protestant).

Old 01-16-2020, 03:34 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,753,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Didn't realize just how large the "Greater Greenville"/Upstate SC area was, population-wise. 1.5 Million people now in the CSA, 39th largest (ahead of: Hartford, Oklahoma City, Memphis, Birmingham, Buffalo-shocking). Obviously somewhat spread out... but still, I mean not terribly, Greenville and Spartanburg are only about 40 minutes apart.
The problem with these sort of stats is that they have to cast a very wide net to get to those figures.
The experience of 1.5 million in Greenville will be quite a bit different than 1.5 million in a more traditional concentrated urban area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City