Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte or Nashville
Charlotte 76 51.70%
Nashville 71 48.30%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 09:03 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I wouldn't even describe them as that. They are attracting a good number of Black transplants and I'd just leave it at that, especially since they are attracting significant numbers of non-Blacks as well.
I wouldn't either normally I was really just saying Charlotte is on the same level of those two as a black destination, Nashville is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 09:34 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I wouldn't either normally I was really just saying Charlotte is on the same level of those two as a black destination, Nashville is not.
Which is really a shame given Nashville's Black history and notable institutions.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:36 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
How do the two stack up in regards to grad schools?

Old 01-07-2020, 09:42 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Which is really a shame given Nashville's Black history and notable institutions.
It is a shame. Blacks have largely been reduced to service jobs, night club venue, barbeque restaurant, and hair shops from a public perception standpoint. Despite Nashville's welcoming and integrated culture, black culture here is largely overlooked. It is not woven into the fabric of the city's brand like Charlotte. North Nashville and Antioch are avoided by tourists due to crime and the city has failed to do anything to promote/solidify black history in those areas. The hot chicken and soul food places have been exploited. While calling it cultural appropriation may be a bit too far (not unique to Nashville), it is troubling.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:53 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times
Quote:
I wouldn't even describe them as that. They are attracting a good number of Black transplants and I'd just leave it at that, especially since they are attracting significant numbers of non-Blacks as well. The whole "Black mecca" label is a legacy status more than anything.
Which I could say the same for Nashville as well,, at least as far as attracting the none black/white populations, the city has attracted a pretty large Hispanic and immigrant population especially Kurdish. I would venture to say the large black population that Nashville has is majority native and many that come their and finally discover the city via HBCU's, are highly educated and decide to stay, that has been the way its been in the past. Many highly educated blacks have high positions in Metro Davidson's government and have black owned businesses in the Nashville as well. Current day many blacks are just starting to discover the city through this IT city fad, learning its just not an all white city many had made it out to be, and probably because black culture isn't advertised there as much, so most don't know. I have noticed that Nashville has a growing foreign black population as well.

Last edited by oobanks; 01-07-2020 at 10:19 AM..

Old 01-07-2020, 09:59 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It is a shame. Blacks have largely been reduced to service jobs, night club venue, barbeque restaurant, and hair shops from a public perception standpoint. Despite Nashville's welcoming and integrated culture, black culture here is largely overlooked. It is not woven into the fabric of the city's brand like Charlotte. North Nashville and Antioch are avoided by tourists due to crime and the city has failed to do anything to promote/solidify black history in those areas. The hot chicken and soul food places have been exploited. While calling it cultural appropriation may be a bit too far (not unique to Nashville), it is troubling.

It's crazy because I noticed this as well and is so true!! Most people or regular tourist don't really venture out to Antioch or Nolensville Pike to see the real Nashville so they have no clue. Me and my Lady friend are in those areas all the time, she is West Indian/ Trini and loves it!!! She's ready to move to Nashville as well... I agree the city has to do more with it's branding to blacks as a whole, the only way you will know what Nashville really is would be to visit and venture through out the city, other wise people just have these lost perception,, on this Note Charlotte will win on the black perception marker.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:39 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I think based on your personal preferences probably Nashville. Charlotte tends to be the far more popular city to relocate among blacks it's become a mini Atlanta in that aspect along with DFW and Houston, but Nashville is definitely more popular among other demographic groups.
That's an easy one. NC has a huge rural Black population (shrinking now for obvious reasons), much larger than Tennessee. Both Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte and the Greensboro area benefit from that migration to these areas (for work and higher education) versus having to move to DC, etc like back in the day. And NC benefits from a large number of AA that moved to Northeastern corridor cities during the 50s, 60s and 70s that have family connections and migrating back to the south for a slower pace and affordable lifestyle.

Although Charlotte doesn't have a large HBCU, many AA within the state that attend other schools see it as a primary destination metro within the state. The largest HBCUs ( in NC) are located in Greensboro/Winston-Salem and Raleigh/Durham, and many move to Charlotte after graduation. NC A&T SU (Greensboro) is the largest HBCU in the US.

Though there a lot of Blacks moving to places like Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham from out of state, most are from rural areas within the state...then toss in the in-migration from out of state. This is true for other demographics but definitely a large reason for the explosive growth for the Black population in both Charlotte and Raleigh. I am a part of this group with tons of relatives from my area who did the same. Even my other relatives and friends who moved to places like DC, Bmore and Philly, etc. are interested in moving home for the right opportunity. People would be amazed at the number of Black people from NC that live in the DC metro...I once heard a radio announcer in DC jokingly refer to DC metro (PG County MD) as NC North.

And I'll add this, the Triad area (Gboro/Winston-Salem/High Point) has a CSA of roughly 1.6 million people with a larger Black population than metro Nashville...sits smack dab in the middle of Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham approximately 1 -1/2 hour from each metro. Not a Triad booster but I live in Durham and teach part-time at NC A&T. And have students that commute to NC A&T from the RDU and Charlotte metro. It is a hidden gem that is highly undervalued and prides itself on not being RDU or Charlotte.

The Triad does ok growth wise but the engine driving both Raleigh and Charlotte's growth is primarily internal NC. I boost Nashville to my students about opportunities and high-growth though it seems like a foreign land to them since it's not DC, Houston, DFW, Atlanta, Charlotte or RDU.

If my grammar is poor as some of you have noticed, no worries, I teach engineering....technical writing is much better.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 01-07-2020 at 06:29 PM..

Old 01-07-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
That's an easy one. NC has a huge rural Black population (shrinking now for obvious reasons), much larger than Tennessee. Both Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte and the Greensboro area benefit from that migration to these areas (for work and higher education) versus having to move to DC, etc like back in the day...

Although Charlotte doesn't have a large HBCU, many AA within the state that attend other schools see it as a primary destination metro within the state.
Due to its location, Charlotte benefits from the large Black resident and college population in both Carolinas, not just NC.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:37 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Due to its location, Charlotte benefits from the large Black resident and college population in both Carolinas, not just NC.
That is more of a characteristic of Charlotte's location near the deep south. Nashville has no such areas to pull from other than Memphis, and the stats are not there to show a "great migration" from there to Nashville. This has contributed to notable differences in the cultures of both cities.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
That is more of a characteristic of Charlotte's location near the deep south. Nashville has no such areas to pull from other than Memphis, and the stats are not there to show a "great migration" from there to Nashville. This has contributed to notable differences in the cultures of both cities.
Nashville isn't that far from Alabama though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City