Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 11:30 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Metro San Diego is growing much faster than LA in population. You are right, why LA? Most people have the same question as you.
Part of that is the quirk that the census doesn't consider the IE part of the LA Metro (although maybe it will in 2020). Except for the AV, LA and Orange County are pretty built out, so a lot of population growth goes to tract housing in the IE.

My family lives near SD since my college days, and I would visit friends in the city whenever I visited my parents. I really like SD, and go down there at least once a year for a long weekend with my spouse and kids. I thought about moving there when I moved to California, but I got a better job offer in LA and I thought it would be much easier for my spouse to find a job in LA (and it probably was).

I really like LA too, and enjoy living here. I do think the dining is better in LA, especially all the different ethnic foods, but I've eaten at some good restaurants in SD as well. I don't like traffic, so I live about a mile from my work. I spend most of my time in my neighborhood or a few adjacent ones in Central LA. There are tons of amenities in that small area, so it's really only 1-2x/month that I go to something in LA further afield. SD is a nice city and I wouldn't be bored there, but LA definitely has more going on. The biggest difference for me is job opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 05:19 AM

142 posts, read 223,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post

SD does not have better Mexican. They're at least equal. But, LA has the better everything else because it's just simply far more diverse.
They’re not equal. LA has better and more authentic Mexican food. Only white people say Mexican food in SD (and SF) is better. They’re the same types that also like french fries in their burritos, and prefer Mexican food smothered in sour cream, guac and cheddar cheese.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:03 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvysearch View Post
They’re not equal. LA has better and more authentic Mexican food. Only white people say Mexican food in SD (and SF) is better. They’re the same types that also like french fries in their burritos, and prefer Mexican food smothered in sour cream, guac and cheddar cheese.
True. It's why I said at least equal. I also agree that LA is better. LA's Mexican population is larger in numbers and percent than SD as well I think.

Side note: SF Mexican food is absolute trash and the only place I ever hated a burrito so much I wanted to toss it was SF. I spent $10 on trash wrapped in a tortilla. Only reason I shoved it in my face was to have sustenance to get me through my day because I didn't have time to go anywhere else on my lunch break. Taqueria Cancun on Market & 6th. SF raves about it. Also Papalote has mediocre food at insane prices and their horchata is vegan and gluten free now so it's basically just blended cardboard and water with cinnamon powder. And it's also an SF favorite. So yeah, SF Mexican food is actual garbage. I've found better places for Mexican food in Louisville KY, all over NJ, and all over NYC than anything in SF.

So if SF is anything like SD, I feel truly sorry for SD that it's literally on the border yet it can't even have the best Mexican food.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:15 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
SD does have the benefit of being close to Tijuana, which has some great places (cheap and higher end), as well as further south in Guadalupe Valley. Great wine as well.

Agree, underwhelmed with the Mexican in SD. Some of the spots locals rave about—Las Cuatro Milpas, Puesto, etc—never did anything for me. Baja’s Super chef Javier Plascencia does have a good spot in Bonita—Romesco; his Little Italy place was very good but closed for partner reasons. Nearby TJ Oyster Bar is another decent spot. Bonita (part of Chula Vista, otherwise known as Chulajuana) had a great Mexican chain based seafood restaurant at one point, Los Arcos, that was very good but also closed suddenly and for unexplained reasons.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-09-2020 at 09:00 AM..

Old 01-09-2020, 09:03 AM

9 posts, read 3,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvysearch View Post
Haha

I have to say that I agree. Having been reading people's opinions & looking at poll results and whatnot, the whiteness of this forum is pretty evident in it's tastes & preferences.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:43 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan_Ivanovich View Post
Haha

I have to say that I agree. Having been reading people's opinions & looking at poll results and whatnot, the whiteness of this forum is pretty evident in it's tastes & preferences.
Except is there was a poll on this thread, LA would be beating SD by a lot based on the posts. Almost every post on here is against what OP said and actually believes that LA is the better option over SD. Subjectively, some prefer SD. But it seems that everyone objectively agrees that LA is better, especially if you need a job lol.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:23 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Part of that is the quirk that the census doesn't consider the IE part of the LA Metro (although maybe it will in 2020). Except for the AV, LA and Orange County are pretty built out, so a lot of population growth goes to tract housing in the IE.
Only problem is, the bulk of the growth in the Inland Empire is people from LA and Orange Counties moving to the Inland Empire. So it's still people from one part of the LA CSA moving to another part of the LA CSA.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:38 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,939 times
Personally, I desire life in SD or better yet, Palm Springs. But I'm working in the film industry so I'll have to live as close to LA as possible when we move (in Iess than 6 weeks).

Old 01-09-2020, 04:05 PM

492 posts, read 535,479 times
More job opportunities, things to do..

Old 01-09-2020, 10:21 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Only problem is, the bulk of the growth in the Inland Empire is people from LA and Orange Counties moving to the Inland Empire. So it's still people from one part of the LA CSA moving to another part of the LA CSA.
Sure, but those priced out of LA/OC move to the IE and open up housing in LA/OC for other people from out of state or out of the country to move in to. It's not like that housing in LA/OC is sitting vacant. LA/OC has one of the lowest vacancy rates in the country.

Population growth since 2010:
LA MSA- + 450,000, +3.7%
LA CSA- + 890,000, +5% (likely LA MSA after 2020)
SD MSA- + 250,000, + 8%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City