Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which three metro areas is intellectualism a more ingrained and common part of the general cultur
St. Louis 2 1.39%
Atlanta 10 6.94%
San Francisco/Bay Area 84 58.33%
New York City area 44 30.56%
Seattle 33 22.92%
New Orleans 2 1.39%
Washington DC/capital region 50 34.72%
Philadelphia 9 6.25%
Chicago 7 4.86%
Portland, OR 5 3.47%
Raleigh/Triangle 11 7.64%
Minneapolis-St. Paul 10 6.94%
Austin 5 3.47%
Nashville 3 2.08%
Providence 5 3.47%
Los Angeles 5 3.47%
Boston 94 65.28%
Columbus, OH 4 2.78%
Denver 3 2.08%
Pittsburgh 4 2.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 09:10 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

The true intellectual capitals are those with legitimate research institutions around that do research constantly whether that is universities, think tanks or more research oriented wings of various companies. These are people who are truly interested in what they are doing and to a very intellectual level. Not usually done as a facade to make themselves look intellectually favorable to random people on the street.

In that case, my top areas would be ones like Canbridge, MA, parts of the Bay Area, parts of LA, NYC, DC, Chicago, Seattle, Atlanta, etc.
Agreed.

For the Bay Area, the Berkeley-Oakland area and Palo Alto-Menlo Park-Mountain View area are the 2 clear hotbeds of intellectualism in these parts precisely for the reasons you laid out. You see and feel that crowd there.

The city is interesting because there is also a very large concentration but I cant pinpoint an area in my mind, I want to say Civic Center area towards Hayes Valley and Duboce Triangle? Idk maybe someone else might have a better idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 09:10 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
There is, and thats what im on about. Im assuming you havent visited SF or Boston? Both top NY in post-graduate creativity and innovation. Hen it comes to patents and development in all fields, NYC isnt even close. Its the Bay Area in a far fetched first, followed by Boston, then a big drop to the rest.

And you have to remember, outside Manhattan, theres not much activity outside White Plains, Jersey City and NNJ Suburbs.

You leave San Francisco and have San Jose, Palo Alto, Sunnydale and Berkeley. Its mad.
You leave Boston and you have Cambridge, Somerville, 128 corridor and Waltham.
Jersey City alone is more populous than Cambridge Somerville and Waltham. NNJ Whites plain Jersey CIty plus SW CT cant all be "not much" . Thats like 1 million people if not more. ijs

Old 01-07-2020, 10:16 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
No surprise about the top 2, although the 3rd entry is competitive among several cities..

Old 01-07-2020, 10:45 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Jersey City alone is more populous than Cambridge Somerville and Waltham. NNJ Whites plain Jersey CIty plus SW CT cant all be "not much" . Thats like 1 million people if not more. ijs
Im not talking about raw numbers of people. Im talking about R&D facilities. Because Waltham MA has 40+ whereas White Plains has ~10. Ven though White Plains is massive compared to Waltham, they still have a good amount of r and d.

NNJ had about the same as 128 until about 2000, now theres about 3x as many around the 128 corridors than in 2000... which has lead the area to patents, innovation and a significant level of intellectualism.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:03 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Patent counting is weird unless you are only interested in commoditized results. It skews heavily towards biotechnology and computers, which is obviously one avenue of intellectualism but a fairly narrow one.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:07 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Im not talking about raw numbers of people. Im talking about R&D facilities. Because Waltham MA has 40+ whereas White Plains has ~10. Ven though White Plains is massive compared to Waltham, they still have a good amount of r and d.

NNJ had about the same as 128 until about 2000, now theres about 3x as many around the 128 corridors than in 2000... which has lead the area to patents, innovation and a significant level of intellectualism.
Id agree with Heel patent counting and RandD is a sort of weird measure. Just socially my only hang up with Boston is many places in the metro (particularly int the southern portion are almost ANTI intellectualism/backwards at times

Old 01-07-2020, 12:06 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Patent counting is weird unless you are only interested in commoditized results. It skews heavily towards biotechnology and computers, which is obviously one avenue of intellectualism but a fairly narrow one.
Agree, and I am a holder of a software patent myself. Many people choose to not get a patent on things for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it's more beneficial for society as a whole for something to not have a patent. Read about Honeywell v Sperry Rand. Computing would be much different if the patent for the computer was not invalidated in that case.

There's a lot of places you also wouldn't expect to be patent powerhouses. Rochester, Minnesota is a great example of that. Tons of intellectual capital there, and very educated people but I wouldn't exactly call the place "intellectual" apart from what people are working on for a living and churning out huge innovation in the medical and technology fields. RTP as I'm sure you know is an even larger example of this type of thing.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Agree, and I am a holder of a software patent myself. Many people choose to not get a patent on things for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it's more beneficial for society as a whole for something to not have a patent. Read about Honeywell v Sperry Rand. Computing would be much different if the patent for the computer was not invalidated in that case.

There's a lot of places you also wouldn't expect to be patent powerhouses. Rochester, Minnesota is a great example of that. Tons of intellectual capital there, and very educated people but I wouldn't exactly call the place "intellectual" apart from what people are working on for a living and churning out huge innovation in the medical and technology fields.
Rochester MN? Isnt that home to the Mayo Clinic? I would expect Rochester MN to have a ton of patents. But patents are a good measure, not the sole measure, one of many good measures for this post in my opinion. Patents come from innovative, creative and intellectual areas that focus on driving the future forward. And it correlated with the poll pretty nicely.. the Bay Area, Boston, DC, etc ...

I think the weight of patent creation should be 10% atleast.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:22 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Rochester MN? Isnt that home to the Mayo Clinic? I would expect Rochester MN to have a ton of patents. But patents are a good measure, not the sole measure, one of many good measures for this post in my opinion. Patents come from innovative, creative and intellectual areas that focus on driving the future forward. And it correlated with the poll pretty nicely.. the Bay Area, Boston, DC, etc ...

I think the weight of patent creation should be 10% atleast.

Yes. Rochester is also home to a large IBM since the mid 1950s at one point employing over 3200 engineers and scientists (still employs something like 2500 people today) that has invented tons of ubiquitous technology within its walls there. Not to mention it's where some of IBM's supercomputers are actually engineered and created, as well as other crazy confidential technology via government contracts. I cant say much but I used to work there. I think people would be shocked at which technologies have actually originated from that particular location.

That tends to be the case with a lot of innovation. Theres a lot of great stuff that's very important and impactful that happens outside of the major metro areas.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Yes. Rochester is also home to a large IBM since the mid 1950s at one point employing over 3200 engineers and scientists (still employs something like 2500 people today) that has invented tons of ubiquitous technology within its walls there. Not to mention it's where some of IBM's supercomputers are actually engineered and created, as well as other crazy confidential technology via government contracts. I cant say much but I used to work there. I think people would be shocked at which technologies have actually originated from that particular location.

That tends to be the case with a lot of innovation. Theres a lot of great stuff that's very important and impactful that happens outside of the major metro areas.
Im actually surprised Rochester MN is not on here. The whole city revolves around Medical Science surrounding Mayo. Yes, its healthcare.. but there have been indirect additions to the city like IBM. Thanks for youre insight on the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City