Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these city magazines best captures the personailty of their city or region?
Atlanta 4 8.89%
Boston 5 11.11%
Baltimore 0 0%
Chicago 4 8.89%
Cleveland 3 6.67%
Cincinnati 1 2.22%
Columbus Monthly 2 4.44%
D Magazine (Dallas) 5 11.11%
5280 (Denver) 1 2.22%
Hour Detroit 0 0%
Houstonia 2 4.44%
435 (Kansas City) 0 0%
Los Angeles 5 11.11%
Milwaukee 0 0%
Mpls.St.Paul 1 2.22%
New York 11 24.44%
Philadelphia 7 15.56%
Pittsburgh 2 4.44%
Portland Monthly 1 2.22%
San Diego 2 4.44%
San Francisco 2 4.44%
St. Louis 1 2.22%
Seattle 4 8.89%
Texas Monthly 4 8.89%
Washingtonian 3 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 11:19 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Ocean Drive does a fairly good job capturing the flair and panache of South Beach.

El Chevere (homering since 2014)
Ocen Drive is very good but like you said its only South Beach mainly.It also definately geared tgowrd high society types or those who wish to be,
You can also find it outside of Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 11:33 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Those of you who have encountered me on these forums probably know by now that I work on the staff of the pioneer of the city magazine genre.

That's right, pioneer: two years before Clay Felker took the fading New York Herald Tribune's Sunday magazine and turned it into a freestanding, lively publication that approached the Big Apple with a verve and a breadth The New Yorker didn't, a fellow named David Herbert Lipson had transformed a somewhat staid Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce promotional rag into a smart and scrappy publication that covered the city's people and politics with addytood.

In the wake of Philadelphia and New York, magazines devoted to lifestyle and current events sprouted in cities all over the country. The best of them, like Texas Monthly (yes, it counts, even though its "city" is an entire state), have changed the way the people in their coverage area look at it, and even the most mediocre will tell you where the "best of" everything in their city could be found. ("Best of" issues also originated with Philadelphia; the lobby of our offices on Independence Square is decorated with a graphic mural that includes the opening sentence of our very first "Best and Worst of Philly" issue more than 40 years ago: "God couldn't be here tonight, so we've taken the liberty of filling in for Him.")

There's even a trade group for these publications, the City and Regional Magazine Association. And it seems that as journalism in general is undergoing wrenching changes that are laying waste to newsrooms and even entire newspapers all over the land, the city and regional magazjnes are managing to hold their own.

There does seem to be a hierarchy of these, though: I note that the mag I write for seems to get a steady stream of hires who come here from the Washingtonian, another city mag I would put at the top of the heap.

But what I'd like to know is: Which of these magazines do you think captures the flavor of the cities/regions they serve best? I've listed about 20 or so of the best-known below; you can vote for as many as you think deserve a vote. Then explain what it is about them that you think puts them above the crowd.

Don't read or aren't familiar with your city's magazine, or any of them? Feel free to comment on why that's the case. The knock on Philadelphia within the region is that it seems aimed more at Main Liners than at city residents.
Atlanta has 3 very good ones, Jezebel: Its for the younger jet set crowd and showcases lifestyle and couture trends.

Atlanta Magazine is more informative ,mostly about ATlanta but also beyond.Its more like a resource for many different things
The Atlantan is more like Jezebel but more fashion and art driven

Old 01-16-2020, 01:14 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
"Meet the movers, shakers, and change-makers with big plans for the city"
Home | Providence Monthly | providenceonline.com

And the old stand-by https://www.rimonthly.com/

I know it says "RI" but RI is so small we're all kind of in a city-state. (Newporters may disagree). Anyway, it's been around for years and I think it captures the 'state' pretty well.

Oh PS: I used to live in Houston and I loved Texas Monthly as well so I'm not just a homer. I love this type of magazine and was glad to see the links to other cities. Even though I haven't lived in most I still love to read about them.

Oh yeah sorry El Chevere, I used to live in South Beach as well and I did enjoy Ocean Drive.
A New Yorker who I roomed with for a while in Boston had a friend who used to shout out loudly when the Amtrak train he was on pulled into the city:

"Providence, Rhode Island! World's only remaining city-state!"

Of course, the other bit of trivia here is that the nation's smallest state by land area also has its longest state name. Newport is one of only three communities in the state that is actually located on Rhode Island. The bulk of the state consists of the rest of its official name: "Providence Plantations."

Old 01-18-2020, 09:48 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
It doesn't qualify as a city magazine ... but Charleston's Garden&Gun is certainly one amazing publication!

https://gardenandgun.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City