Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does San Diego offer enough to be discussed with major cities?
Yes, it offers enough to be in the conversion 83 67.48%
No, it doesn't offer enough to be in the conversation 40 32.52%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 10:54 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,804,773 times

Advertisements

For anyone using public transit in major metros that is using some sort of smart card or payment vending machine, it's more than likely from Cubic which is based in SD too. They have like 70% of the global market for smart transit cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 06:23 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,137,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
All the major metro's are at minimal economic hubs on a national scale, with the upper extreme going a step further and being international or global hubs. For the most part all of those metro's monopolize nation wide industries or at the worst have a substantial stake in them to the point they can influence the national market, not just their surrounding regions and are almost unequivocally hold the bulk of corporate HQ's in the US

Despite it's relatively large population... San Diego simply does not, nor can it throw around that type of economic weight.
You did not understand the purpose of my post. First off, I already stated that I don't believe San Diego is a major city (see post #21). It's definitely on the cusp of being one and, if it accomplishes a number of major initiatives in the next few years, will be unquestionably a major city.

My argument was that San Diego doesn't belong in a lower tier than Denver, Phoenix, Minneapolis, or Detroit...especially when that tier is Sacramento, Nashville, Portland, etc.

Quote:
All of those cities (SD included) are major regional metros, just not major national/global ones.

Atlanta - $397 Billion GDP
Seattle - $392 Billion GDP
Miami - $354 Billion GDP

*Greater San Jose region sits at $331 Billion*
What does this have to do with my comment or the comment I was responding to?

Quote:
Now I know economic's is nowhere near as simplistic as A>B>C=D as some industries take precedence and all are interconnected, but GDP gives you at minimum a good sense of the economic weight/power a metro can throw around
Right, which is why San Diego belongs in the same tier as Denver, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Detroit...

I don't get what point you are making

Old 01-23-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
For anyone using public transit in major metros that is using some sort of smart card or payment vending machine, it's more than likely from Cubic which is based in SD too. They have like 70% of the global market for smart transit cards.
They designed London's fare payment system...which is now contactless and mobile as you go!

Old 01-23-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
San Diego is a global hub in two areas. 'Hub' meaning that if you're in that industry, you have to go through the hub at some point.

- Cell phones - The entire global cell phone industry is based around technology developed in San Diego by Qualcomm. They are more dominant than Microsoft was in OSs. Hence, every major cell phone company in the world has representation in SD. This is extending to wireless communications more broadly. San Diego is the wireless capital of the world. Most people are unaware of this because they don't understand the guts of their cell phone.

- Life sciences/biotechnology - San Diego is one of the big three biotech clusters in the world. Specifically, in the area of genomics, SD is a Mecca. If you work in biotech at some point you'll go through SD. If you work in genomics, you probably work in SD.

In what areas are Phoenix and Denver national or global hubs, for example??
San Diego is a global hub in three areas:
- Telecommunications
- Biotech/life sciences
- Defense

It's also the busiest border crossing in the world and a critical part of national trade/movement.

Phoenix could literally disappear and no one would notice. It's only significance is an airline hub...that is pretty underwhelming. It has a comparable amount of international destinations to San Diego, a non-hub.

Denver is a big fish in a small pond. Its perceived relevance is more a result of not having competition than being important. What is it a hub for?

Old 01-23-2020, 06:35 PM

12,265 posts, read 8,205,118 times
I know San Diego is one of five metro areas that contributed to 90% of Life Science jobs.. however, where did all this growth come from?

Is it mostly recent?

Old 01-23-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I know San Diego is one of five metro areas that contributed to 90% of Life Science jobs.. however, where did all this growth come from?

Is it mostly recent?
San Diego's innovation/tech sector has been around for awhile, but has changed over time.
  • WWII/postwar: Defense industries, including aerospace, missiles, etc. It's not as prominent today, but definitely still exists in the region.
  • 1970s-1980s computer evolution: San Diego wasn't too prominent. Mostly missed this wave/
  • 1990s: Rise of SD's telecommunications and biotech industries.
  • 2000s-2010s: San Diego surged in life sciences & biotech, in many ways thanks to the growing prominence of UCSD.
  • 2019 and beyond: For the first time in a while, San Diego is growing beyond biotech: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...308-story.html
San Diego has historically struggled to build certain industries (and acclaim) because it often suffers from a brain drain to LA and SF. Actually, that's the same case with college sports as well.

San Diego is doing a better job at keeping its young and highly skilled workforce, which is making a huge difference.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:05 PM

4,147 posts, read 3,003,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
San Diego's innovation/tech sector has been around for awhile, but has changed over time. [list]

San Diego has historically struggled to build certain industries (and acclaim) because it often suffers from a brain drain to LA and SF. Actually, that's the same case with college sports as well.

San Diego is doing a better job at keeping its young and highly skilled workforce, which is making a huge difference.
Yes, I'd like to add that San Diego is actually now benefiting from a brain drain from Silicon Valley. Tech workers from Silicon Valley are now flocking to San Diego as a cheaper alternative.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:53 AM

1,065 posts, read 815,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Is it mostly recent?
The San Diego industrial biotech cluster was 'birthed' about the same time as in SF with the formation of a company called Hybritech in 1978. This company was successful in developing the PSA test based on antibody technology. The company was bought by a big pharma company for $600M, which was a lot of money back then. The employees funneled this money into a lot of new startups. There are now about 1200 biotech companies in SD

Some say the biotech cluster was formed in the 50s and 60s with the founding of the Salk Institute, Scripps Institute and UCSD on Torrey Pines Mesa. Later came the Sanford-Burnham-Prebys Institue, La Jolla Intitute and others. At this point, Torrey Pines Mesa is the largest concentration of medical research in the world.

San Diego also has a very large medical device industry. A common business model is to do R&D in SD and manufacture in TJ.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:07 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,772,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
San Diego is a global hub in three areas:
- Telecommunications
- Biotech/life sciences
- Defense

It's also the busiest border crossing in the world and a critical part of national trade/movement.

Phoenix could literally disappear and no one would notice. It's only significance is an airline hub...that is pretty underwhelming. It has a comparable amount of international destinations to San Diego, a non-hub.

Denver is a big fish in a small pond. Its perceived relevance is more a result of not having competition than being important. What is it a hub for?

I like San Diego just fine and won't retort to bashing it, it's not my cup of tea personally as I love sports and find the outdoors access limitations there to be a turnoff.

Much like most cities not named (NYC, Chicago, SF, LA, or Seattle) there's plenty going on in Phoenix if you know a little bit about it.

Who would notice if it's gone?

Just around 5 million today and another 100K moving to in each year. If you've ever used Dial soap products, Petsmart, Sprouts, Kona Grill, PF Changs, UHaul, ColdStone, Limelight, Go Daddy, ZipRecruiter, Ping Golf clubs, Taser, or Best Western then you've done business with a Phoenix based company.

Or if you've been to Barrett Jackson (or the other collector auctions during AZ auction week), the Fiesta Bowl, Spring Training, the largest attended PGA event, the largest Arabian horse show in the world, plan to be at the 2023 Super Bowl, the 2024 NCAA finals, visit the largest musical instrument museum in the world, or one of the top Native American museums.

There's a reason why Sky Harbor is the 13th busiest airport in the country... "the airport's strong demand base and level of origin and destination enplanements"

Old 01-25-2020, 03:58 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,906,794 times
San Diego’s rate of growth actually surprises me in that I think it’s a destination city which has obvious appeal worldwide and it surprises me there aren’t hoards of skyscrapers going up and more tech flooding in. Is the cost to do business simply so high that it firewalls more rapid investment?

For instance, a skyscraper boom would make a lot more sense in San Diego than, say, Vancouver BC which is beautiful, but arguably doesn’t have the more headline features of San Diego (“perfect” weather, more comfortable beaches, one of the world’s best universities, etc). Obviously the markets vary tremendously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City