Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2020, 07:16 PM

276 posts, read 167,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
How can it feel the same if it goes slower and can't have the same capacity? That's a big difference. Not just that it's underground .
You look at the numbers between the two and it's night and day

DART's top speed is 65 mph, MARTA is 70 - not too big of a difference. I believe up to 4 of DART's SLRV's can be coupled together, but platform length limits them to 2 at the moment.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 07:40 PM

1,228 posts, read 796,359 times
Looking at unused or underutilized land area within the city limits, and current zoning, Atlanta appears to have less opportunity to add residential density, but I believe it may actually increase its urbanity and walking scores more so than these two Texas cities over the next decade. All of these cities are still being serious outpaced by other cities like Seattle, Austin, Nashville, and ugh even Philadelphia

Old 01-13-2020, 07:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberrysaus View Post
DART's top speed is 65 mph, MARTA is 70 - not too big of a difference. I believe up to 4 of DART's SLRV's can be coupled together, but platform length limits them to 2 at the moment.
Top speed isnt as important as the average speed.The average spped for MARTA is 55 but for DART its 25-35

Old 01-13-2020, 07:45 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
Looking at unused or underutilized land area within the city limits, and current zoning, Atlanta appears to have less opportunity to add residential density, but I believe it may actually increase its urbanity and walking scores more so than these two Texas cities over the next decade. All of these cities are still being serious outpaced by other cities like Seattle, Austin, Nashville, and ugh even Philadelphia
In what sense are they being "seriously outpaced?"

Old 01-13-2020, 07:49 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
Less opportunity?That means nothing with none of these cities as they all have so much land to build on even in their cores. I cant see that being an issue.
LOL. Nashville?Nashville has much bigger city limits.Atlanta would have to stop growing for Nashville to catch up on density in any part of its city. Philadelphia had 300 years head start but its not growing faster than any of these cities.
Seattle doesnt have room to grow. Thats why Amazon was looking for alternatives.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:34 PM

1,228 posts, read 796,359 times
My, y’all are a congenial bunch. I was born and raised in Atlanta, and still have family there, and it is where my heart still lies. In terms of available land, Atlanta seems to have much less land on which to build in its core, as it has very well established residential zones with significant SFH requirements. As it should. Much of the core area industrial/light industrial has already been spoken for (e.g. Atlantic Station) or will soon be so (the “Gulch”). Dallas still has a lot of this ripe for redevelopment, and Houston seems to have this, plus a lot of gentrification that can happen just outside of its downtown. Atlanta does appear to have more of a will to build, as well as a will to connect (I.e the “Beltline”) vis-a-vis Dallas and Houston, but in terms of new commercial and residential towers, transit oriented development, etc., that seems to have fallen behind some of these other “up and coming” or “reemergent” cities. I’m neither happy nor proud of that. I closely followed Atlanta’s development since the late ‘80’s, and yes, it does seemed to have slipped a bit globally since the last decade. Is it doing enough to increase positive residential density to assuage the clusterf-ck that is it’s highway system? I’d love to see it dominate any list of metros outside of the tier of NY/LA/CHI.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:35 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
People keep referencing the Beltline as an advantage Atlanta has over the other two, do you think Dallas doesn’t have a trail system as well? You’d be pretty surprised by the extensive trail system here. The Katy trail alone is a superior trail system to the Beltline.

Houston has impressive trails as well.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Top speed isnt as important as the average speed.The average spped for MARTA is 55 but for DART its 25-35
What about the other rail systems here outside of DART? There’s 3 commuter rail lines and a 4th (the Silver Line) underway. I know the TRE trains go pretty darn fast, I assume the other commuter rails do too.

DFW has a lot more rail options than Atlanta metro.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:41 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
What about the other rail systems here outside of DART? There’s 3 commuter rail lines and a 4th (the Silver Line) underway. I know the TRE trains go pretty darn fast, I assume the other commuter rails do too.

DFW has a lot more rail options than Atlanta metro.
Beltline Rail
https://beltlinerailnow.com/

Old 01-13-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Hopefully that gets off the ground as it will be a nice addition to connect neighborhoods, it will compromise the trail experience though with trains running next to joggers. Dallas is very picky about what goes in along its trail systems, but our streetcar is expanding too, just not along greenways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City