Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2023, 07:25 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Here’s the 7 minute video flyover

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KJXPG-...ature=youtu.be
See that's why I love Dallas. The projects are always so ambitious. Really look transformative for the area.

Cool video +1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 08:01 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
See that's why I love Dallas. The projects are always so ambitious. Really look transformative for the area.

Cool video +1
It is ambitious. It actually surprised me tbh. I guess I didn’t fully realize that the entertainment district would be car free. Connecting it the original section of the Convention Center - The Dallas Memorial Auditorium and the Black Academy of Arts and Letters. I’m glad they’re preserving that historic venue.

Last edited by Dallaz; 02-10-2023 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-11-2023, 12:04 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Let's get this straight, that's most definitely not what I said if you are going to quote me, get it correct.
Oh is that right atadytic? So you didn't say a few blocks in either side of one spine or that Atlanta is so disconnected or disjointed?

Quote:
Atlanta does have a long core, but no way, no how it is bigger than Houston's. Houston's core has a lot more depth than Atlanta's. Atlanta is just a few blocks in either side of one spine. Houston has neighborhoods on either side of the spine, not just a few blocks

Quote:
Atlanta is just so disconnected. Look how the neighborhoods flow into downtown Houston https://imgur.io/4FPTmvC Atlanta is no where near as fluid. And with the highways coming down and this empty spots getting filled up the gap between Houston and Atlanta in STRUCTURAL DENSITY will only widen. Atlanta just doesn't have the grid for uniform urban development
I'm not the only one that noticed the shade thrown at Atlanta. Even Arcenal made that same observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I highly disagree. Downtown Atlanta alone is bigger than Downtown Houston -- twice its size. Then, add in Midtown... It's not close. It's certainly not "just a few blocks on either side of the spine."
Atlanta's core is not at all linear like some here make it out to be. The skyline, maybe. And even that is debatable. But there is much more to an urban core than just a skyline.
Atlanta's core is by far the most built out of the three.
Yet I hate Houston all because I think Atlanta is more urban in it's core than Houston is? LOL

Old 02-11-2023, 03:15 PM

1,374 posts, read 924,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Oh is that right atadytic? So you didn't say a few blocks in either side of one spine or that Atlanta is so disconnected or disjointed?

I'm not the only one that noticed the shade thrown at Atlanta. Even Arcenal made that same observation.

Yet I hate Houston all because I think Atlanta is more urban in it's core than Houston is? LOL
Yeah, Atlanta feels more urban than Houston does. Out of all the sunbelt cities, Atlanta feels like the most Northeastern like city.

Old 02-11-2023, 05:47 PM

537 posts, read 443,957 times
Atlanta may feel more urban than Houston, however Dallas is probably the most urban. Atlanta's like 100 small towns all butted up against each other.

I lived in Atlanta 10 years, and it's spread out so far. Dallas is too very spread out, but you can see with the eye how there's more money in Dallas' office buildings, apartments and other big buildings.

Houston is also like a bunch of different cities, but in population it's probably larger than Dallas/Fort Worth and Atlanta.

They're all too large for me. I overdosed on Atlanta traffic and got out in 2002.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:18 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Yeah, Atlanta feels more urban than Houston does. Out of all the sunbelt cities, Atlanta feels like the most Northeastern like city.
Well even though I still say Atlanta's core is closer to Houston or Dallas than it is to a Northeastern City, it would resemble most like a Northeastern city as it is older than the Texas two. The Texas two feels more like Western cities than it does Northeastern cities.

Old 02-11-2023, 11:41 PM

4,416 posts, read 5,148,127 times
Quote:
Agree with this, after finally visiting. They really should redevelop some neighborhoods(like Home Park) into upmarket townhouses from the detached SFH’s they currently have.

Designed like the townhouses at 158-170 5th St NE

Old 02-12-2023, 01:24 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Just thought I’d share this since this will be the tallest building in Uptown proper when completed at 450 ft. It is the last developable site adjacent to Klyde Warren Park

30-story Uptown Dallas tower set to start at midyear

Quote:
The development is designed to include a 30-story office tower with ground-floor retail. A second phase would have a hotel.

The $200 million first phase of Parkside Uptown is scheduled to start in midyear, according to planning documents filed with the state.

“Project is for a 30-story podium style tower with underground parking,” the filing with the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation says. “Ground floor would incorporate retail and restaurant uses.”

The high-rise wouldn’t open until 2026.
Renderings

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VPb9w_...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Dallaz; 02-12-2023 at 01:39 PM..

Old 02-12-2023, 03:28 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well even though I still say Atlanta's core is closer to Houston or Dallas than it is to a Northeastern City, it would resemble most like a Northeastern city as it is older than the Texas two. The Texas two feels more like Western cities than it does Northeastern cities.
I could see that comparison for Atlanta. A denser core and low density burbs is exactly how Boston is set up.
Although Atlanta's core is more like the Texas cities (including Austin).

Old 02-13-2023, 08:47 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Only a few parts of downtown and midtown atl resemble a NE city. That and the heavy rail. Besides these things I'm not seeing how Atlanta looks like a NE city other than geography. Ironically the ATL suburbs with how spaced out/rural they feel is the closest resemblance of a NE feel in the Atlanta metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City