Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2023, 06:08 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,942,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKafrican1 View Post
Everyone on this post is grasping for straws. All these cities will be the same honestly. Most of the people in these cities won’t give up there cars to take transit. They don’t have shopping blvds to bring heavy amounts of people to the city center. Instead they will continue to drive to suburban style malls and shopping plaza.

Peach tree St in Atlanta should have been loaded with restaurants department stores and Shops like Zara Etc. It has the perfect bones with subway stations along that street. Instead everyone is driving to a mall in the city lol.

The car culture is so rampant in all three that you won’t see the sidewalks as vibrant as cities like Philly chicago Boston NYC SF etc.
The cities you named were largely built out in an era where car culture wasn’t a thing.

Older legacy cities and newer sunbelt cities are not built the same. They probably never will be. Most cities in America will never completely take on the look of older cities in the Northeast. That development style ended generations ago. Cities in the sunbelt will have nodes of density/urbanity in a generally suburban style metro area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2023, 09:12 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,023,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
LOL. Exactly. Last time I was there, I was staying in the Hotel District right on Peachtree. Friends wanted to go to this restaurant called No Mas just over a mile down the road. When I suggested that I'd walk or rent a bike/scooter to get there, they thought I was crazy, and ended up driving to pick me up, to drive over there. This was the drive:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/33.7...d33.749798!3e0

lol... In the cities you mention, it would be the opposite -- people would think you're either crazy or incredibly lazy for driving that short distance for lunch, through downtown streets.
A 30 minute walk is a bit excessive don’t you think?

Old 02-14-2023, 09:28 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times
Quote:
Everyone on this post is grasping for straws. All these cities will be the same honestly. Most of the people in these cities won’t give up there cars to take transit. They don’t have shopping blvds to bring heavy amounts of people to the city center. Instead they will continue to drive to suburban style malls and shopping plaza.

Peach tree St in Atlanta should have been loaded with restaurants department stores and Shops like Zara Etc. It has the perfect bones with subway stations along that street. Instead everyone is driving to a mall in the city lol.

The car culture is so rampant in all three that you won’t see the sidewalks as vibrant as cities like Philly chicago Boston NYC SF etc.
Man aint nobody comparing these cities to Philly/Chicago/Boston/NYC or SF. It's a reason we're comparing 3 car centric sprawling metro areas that are pretty similar against one another. It's to see which one will be more urban within a decade. Despite these metros still being more car centric, the cores of each city are still urbanizing more and more. All 3 cores are experiencing developments geared towards more urban living which is something you wouldn't have seen in all 3 of these cities 10 to 20 years ago.

And even though all 3 are closer to each other as far as urbanity goes I still see Atlanta leading the 2 in that category and with a mega project like Centennial Yards I can only see it widening the gap a little bit more.

Old 02-14-2023, 09:33 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
In the context of these cities… maybe

Places like NYC, SF, Philly, Chicago, etc… you’re barely scratching the surface of a neighborhood or two lol.

Old 02-14-2023, 10:00 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,743,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Man aint nobody comparing these cities to Philly/Chicago/Boston/NYC or SF. It's a reason we're comparing 3 car centric sprawling metro areas that are pretty similar against one another. It's to see which one will be more urban within a decade. Despite these metros still being more car centric, the cores of each city are still urbanizing more and more. All 3 cores are experiencing developments geared towards more urban living which is something you wouldn't have seen in all 3 of these cities 10 to 20 years ago.

And even though all 3 are closer to each other as far as urbanity goes I still see Atlanta leading the 2 in that category and with a mega project like Centennial Yards I can only see it widening the gap a little bit more.
People don't even bother reading the thread and just say things to look intelligent.

Old 02-15-2023, 02:05 AM

17,151 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Really? A 1 mile walk through downtown is excessive???

Also, I mentioned that renting an e-bike or scooter was an option. That would take around 10 minutes, which is just a bit longer than the drive.

Old 02-15-2023, 07:31 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
No. That's a good walk. I do it all the time in DC.

Old 02-15-2023, 07:32 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:

Agreed. Been saying the all pretty much the same. One maybe slightly better than the other but they are all roughly in the same tier.

Old 02-15-2023, 07:40 AM

9,864 posts, read 6,579,684 times
I’ll gladly do an hour walk

Old 02-15-2023, 09:34 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,023,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’ll gladly do an hour walk
To dinner? Give me a break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City