Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2023, 09:35 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
To dinner? Give me a break!
Long walks to dinner are the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 09:49 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
nothing wrong with that. then a nice stroll back to walk it off a little. I will say in some of these denser cities like SF, Philly, NYC, etc., people take rail transit for a stop or two if it's convenient and cut down the walking time.

Old 02-15-2023, 10:02 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
LOL! It would have been a 30 minute walk to LUNCH on a beautiful day, through downtown streets. Not like it was off some highways.
And even if it were for dinner, yes I'd still do this. Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
nothing wrong with that. then a nice stroll back to walk it off a little. I will say in some of these denser cities like SF, Philly, NYC, etc., people take rail transit for a stop or two if it's convenient and cut down the walking time.
Right. But even these modern sunbelt cities, if lacking proper rail transit, still have e-bikes and scooters for rent all over the place that also significantly cut down walking time.

I honestly saw no reason at all to drive to that destination from where I was, and I only agreed to it due to friends insisting and being so persistent. A 30 minute walk through downtown is enjoyable for me. If I wanted to cut the time down, An e-bike ride would have taken 10 minutes at the most, which is pretty much equal to driving, minus the stress of dealing with traffic, etc.

I find it quite comical that people just don't walk in these cities, no matter how urban and increasingly dense they are becoming.

Old 02-15-2023, 10:52 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,023,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
LOL! It would have been a 30 minute walk to LUNCH on a beautiful day, through downtown streets. Not like it was off some highways.

Right. But even these modern sunbelt cities, if lacking proper rail transit, still have e-bikes and scooters for rent all over the place that also significantly cut down walking time.

I honestly saw no reason at all to drive to that destination from where I was, and I only agreed to it due to friends insisting and being so persistent. A 30 minute walk through downtown is enjoyable for me. If I wanted to cut the time down, An e-bike ride would have taken 10 minutes at the most, which is pretty much equal to driving, minus the stress of dealing with traffic, etc.

I find it quite comical that people just don't walk in these cities, no matter how urban and increasingly dense they are becoming.
I live in an inner city Houston neighborhood and I’ll walk 10-15 minutes for coffee/lunch. 30 minutes is pushing it for me. In NYC, London, Paris, Madrid - yes! I won’t walk for an hour to eat anywhere unless there is some other stop in between, and even then that restaurant would have to be “5-star!”

I think you guys are younger and fitter than I am, and probably single!

Maybe that is the urbanist profile!

Old 02-15-2023, 11:15 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post

well some people don't feel comfortable riding an ebike through downtown streets so I can understand that (and this is in any city, including classically dense ones). I also knew people before who'd call a rideshare rather than rent a scooter (basically what would happen here is all the girls took the rideshare and the dudes take the scooters lol).

Old 02-15-2023, 11:48 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
I live in an inner city Houston neighborhood and I’ll walk 10-15 minutes for coffee/lunch. 30 minutes is pushing it for me. In NYC, London, Paris, Madrid - yes! I won’t walk for an hour to eat anywhere unless there is some other stop in between, and even then that restaurant would have to be “5-star!”

I think you guys are younger and fitter than I am, and probably single!

Maybe that is the urbanist profile!
Did this walk last time I was in NYC in July to go get Lunch:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.7...40.7455646!3e2

It was very enjoyable for me. I then went to Little Island, and did some more random walking around, before heading back to my hotel.
Quite frankly, aside from the vibrancy, I just don't see how it would have been THAT much different to walk to that place in Atlanta -- the parts I would have walked through are all urban blocks/neighborhoods with pedestrian-friendly sidewalks and crossings. Just a totally different mindset in these cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
well some people don't feel comfortable riding an ebike through downtown streets so I can understand that (and this is in any city, including classically dense ones). I also knew people before who'd call a rideshare rather than rent a scooter (basically what would happen here is all the girls took the rideshare and the dudes take the scooters lol).
Haha! Alright I can see that...

Case in point, when it was time to fly back home, I suggested to the woman I'm seeing that I would just take MARTA to the airport. Her response: "Why would you do that?" Um... What??? The station is literally across the street from where I was staying.

Spoiler: She ended up picking me up from downtown and driving me to the airport.

Old 02-17-2023, 01:20 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:

I'd add that I think for people who are used to walking daily, the estimates are going to be pretty different. The guy posted a 1.3 mile walk and that does not seem daunting whether before or after dinner or both. I do wonder though if my walking speed would slow down after spending a bit of time there. I also think this is also a pretty good distance for transit or biking and it does seem like both options are available. I did find it odd that one of the transit options was going north to the subway stop instead of south given the two were nearly equidistant and I assume waiting in a downtown stop is more pleasant than by a highway ramp.

Old 02-19-2023, 06:41 PM

254 posts, read 114,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
The cities you named were largely built out in an era where car culture wasn’t a thing.

Older legacy cities and newer sunbelt cities are not built the same. They probably never will be. Most cities in America will never completely take on the look of older cities in the Northeast. That development style ended generations ago. Cities in the sunbelt will have nodes of density/urbanity in a generally suburban style metro area.
No Atlanta especially had a very dense core before the car. As time went in they decided to bulldoze through the city with a 16 lane highway.

Old 02-19-2023, 07:24 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,942,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKafrican1 View Post
No Atlanta especially had a very dense core before the car. As time went in they decided to bulldoze through the city with a 16 lane highway.
But was it on the level of a Philly or Boston? Those cities seems to have more consistent density outside the core as well.

Old 02-19-2023, 07:51 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
But was it on the level of a Philly or Boston? Those cities seems to have more consistent density outside the core as well.
Nowhere near Philly or Boston but it did have a denser core than Houston and Dallas. I mean it was older and bigger than Atlanta pre WW2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City