Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2024, 11:21 AM

137 posts, read 43,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I don’t really care about suburban density. Call it old school, but density of strip malls and smaller lot single family homes does nothing for me.

When we talk “urban”, I’m mostly looking at the primary core first, then regional suburban cores, then neighborhoods surrounding the primary urban core.

Atlanta doesn’t destroy, but it moderately leads by this metric. Dallas would be next.
Exactly this. Took the words right out of my mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 12:31 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Kind of depends on what part of the metro you live in too. For example, when I lived in Chamblee (which is a intown burb) my Wife would commute to work in Dunwoody and I would go to work in Duluth. That commute from Chamblee to Duluth felt no different than similar routes I would take from suburban Houston into the city of Houston. And even the north burbs west of Chamblee such as Dunwoody/ Sandy Springs/ Cumberland / Smyrna/ Vinings/ Marietta/ Alpharetta(farther up north) felt similar in ways to Houston and Dallas and actually more urbanized than any burbs I ran across in either Houston and Dallas. This was especially true when the Battery opened up in Cobb County. So a lot of North suburban Atlanta feels similar and even more urban where you wouldn't need to drive a distance for basic needs.

But pretty much every other cluster of burbs outside of 285 (east/west/south) definitely feel more rural than DFW and Houston. Then there's exurbs like Newnan/ McDonough/ Dallas(the actual suburb of Atlanta) that don't even make sense. They're so far removed and separated by so much forest that I couldn't wrap my mind how these towns were still apart of Metro Atlanta. With Houston and Dallas there's constant infill to some degree from every corner of sprawl.
I'd also say that it's a bit more complex than people make it out to be. There is a clear "western" style the Texas cities adhere too (massive gridded cities where the suburbs were stacked on as they expanded) and that's on full display in Houston and Dallas. Where as in the east you have this situation where the primary city is relatively small and surround by well developed small towns that eventually got annexed or became suburbs as well as more modern suburban development the further out you go.

This is all splitting hairs because a suburb is a suburb. We can tell ourselves things like "well it's on a grid so it's better" but how does that make a difference in "urbanity" when you are driving to everything anyway?

Old 03-26-2024, 12:38 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
I don’t really care about suburban density. Call it old school, but density of strip malls and smaller lot single family homes does nothing for me.

When we talk “urban”, I’m mostly looking at the primary core first, then regional suburban cores, then neighborhoods surrounding the primary urban core.

Atlanta doesn’t destroy, but it moderately leads by this metric. Dallas would be next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbtoy7891 View Post
Exactly this. Took the words right out of my mouth.
Going to chime in with another +1 on this. I'll add I'm cool with mixed-use walkable high-density served by frequent transit in regional cores going to and from primary cores and would count those, too, alongside what's in the primary core.

Old 03-26-2024, 01:00 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:

You have articulated this perfectly.

Old 03-26-2024, 01:07 PM

134 posts, read 49,353 times
Suburban density is why the Texas cities feel larger and more vibrant thoughout. In Atlanta the big city feel drops quickly once you stray too far off the beaten path.

And it's not an east v. west thing, since Miami is an eastern city on a grid, and it outdoes all three of these cities when it comes to consistent density overall.

Old 03-26-2024, 01:23 PM

137 posts, read 43,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrestores View Post
Suburban density is why the Texas cities feel larger and more vibrant thoughout. In Atlanta the big city feel drops quickly once you stray too far off the beaten path.

And it's not an east v. west thing, since Miami is an eastern city on a grid, and it outdoes all three of these cities when it comes to consistent density overall.
And...? Who cares about "the grid?" It doesn't feel any larger than those three metros. It's still very much suburban, strip mall, car-centric density throughout.

Old 03-26-2024, 01:24 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrestores View Post

They don't feel more vibrant throughout and larger is subjective, as well. They may feel more extensive, but if you are in the core of Atlanta vs Dallas and Houston, Atlanta feels larger.

Old 03-26-2024, 01:28 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinBueno View Post
Atlanta is the one that hold the record for least dense major urban area in the world.
Houston packs in a million more people in a third less space

Houston - 5,853,575 in 1,752.69
DFW - 5,732,354 in 1,746.90
Atlanta - 5,100,112 in 2,553.05 now that's sprawly
Doesn't Atlanta's tree coverage contribute to that? The first time I've ever went to Atlanta, I was blown away by the height and amount of trees. Since Dallas is on a prairie and Houston is on a gulf costal plain, I think that may contribute as to why the sprawl is denser overall.

Just for comparison, Atlanta is 135 sq mi of land with 500,000 people. Southern Dallas, the most underdeveloped half of Dallas is 208 sq mi with 800,000 people. According to a study released last year, Dallas has the most amount of vacant out of the all the big cities in America. There's 90,739 vacant acres or 141 sq mi. The majority of that being in Southern Dallas. Just goes to show how much infill can be built, if the city actually comes up with a plan to do so. BTW, I don't think it's large amounts of continuous land, more so like vacant or underutilized areas that can be developed. The most consistent vacant land is a long or south of I-20 or near the Potter's House in SW Dallas. This is a complete guesstimation, but Dallas proper could easily add an additional 500K people.

Dallas Leads Big U.S. Cities in Vacant Land, Fort Worth Is 2nd, Survey Shows

Old 03-26-2024, 02:15 PM

134 posts, read 49,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
They don't feel more vibrant throughout and larger is subjective, as well. They may feel more extensive, but if you are in the core of Atlanta vs Dallas and Houston, Atlanta feels larger.
Think about what you mean by "extensive". Why would one have that perception when Atlanta's urban area is technically larger than both Dallas' and Houston's? It's because the big city feel is more widespread in the Texas cities, which is what I'm referring to when I mention vibrancy.

What we're talking about here is the fact that the Texas metros have better bones in place to build larger and denser cities. They could catch up to Atlanta in core density before Atlanta could become a denser urban area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Doesn't Atlanta's tree coverage contribute to that? The first time I've ever went to Atlanta, I was blown away by the height and amount of trees. Since Dallas is on a prairie and Houston is on a gulf costal plain, I think that may contribute as to why the sprawl is denser overall.
This definitely plays a part, as Atlanta does go out of its way to preserve its forestation, but you also have a lot of super blocks, winding roads and houses built on huge lots. It's simply a more suburban metro area by design.

Old 03-26-2024, 02:38 PM

828 posts, read 449,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Houston still feels larger than Atlanta in the core even if Atlanta is more urban imo. While urban and big city feel are related in some ways, they don’t always translate 1 to 1 in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City