Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 12:27 PM

366 posts, read 137,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Fair enough, but you all lost me with the diversity and affluent core numbers. I can't comprehend how those numbers relate to which city will be more urban by 2030.
Urban spots are usually centers of Diversity.

Old Today, 12:31 PM

17,264 posts, read 15,458,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
According to your link, its 8% Asian and 10% black and 5% Hispanic. Its 74% White.

Not at all what I could consider diverse personally.
My post was in response to the one that said it's basically all "black/white."
It's 74% white, and then a mix of pretty much everything else.

Old Today, 12:51 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 2 days ago)

8,369 posts, read 5,529,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
My post was in response to the one that said it's basically all "black/white."
It's 74% white, and then a mix of pretty much everything else.
I mean, Atlanta's core does feel very black/white. Not specifically Midtown but Downtown, Atlantic Station, etc. as well. And if we look at the data, it is very much that. Within a 5-mile radius of downtown:

Houston
Population: 431,557
36.7% Hispanic
34.6% White
18.3% Black
7.0% Asian

Atlanta
Population: 355,747
43.2% Black
42.1% White
5.9% Hispanic
5.0% Asian

So yeah, I would actually agree with the assertion that Atlanta's core is very black/white.

Old Today, 01:34 PM

2,859 posts, read 4,627,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinBueno View Post
Urban spots are usually centers of Diversity.
Except in this case, Houston is currently the least urban of the three cities mentioned, so I'm still not sure how this applies to the OP's question.

Also, places such as Boston, Denver, Minneapolis comes to mind considering those cities are overwhelmingly white, yet quite urban.

Moreover, Philadelphia (33% white) and Atlanta (39% white) have quite similar demographics, yet Philly is more urban....

Diversity has absolutely no tie to urbanity....I mean Savannah, Charleston, and New Orleans are black and white, yet quite urban by standards...

Old Today, 03:44 PM

9,925 posts, read 6,634,537 times
Quote:
Except in this case, Houston is currently the least urban of the three cities mentioned, so I'm still not sure how this applies to the OP's question.

Also, places such as Boston, Denver, Minneapolis comes to mind considering those cities are overwhelmingly white, yet quite urban.

Moreover, Philadelphia (33% white) and Atlanta (39% white) have quite similar demographics, yet Philly is more urban....

Diversity has absolutely no tie to urbanity....I mean Savannah, Charleston, and New Orleans are black and white, yet quite urban by standards...
Houston is more urban than Dallas. What Dallas beats Houston in is it’s better connected/cohesive (which is a plus) but not enough to make it more urban. I’d even say Dallas’ core is better connected than Miami which is a big plus but way less urban than Miami obviously.

But Atlanta is easily the most urban of the 3 without a doubt. And though it’s not the same, this is just my opinion. But ranking which feels most like a big city to least goes

1. Atlanta
2. Houston
3. Dallas

Atlanta’s heavy rail system has a huge effect on this. Those trains remind me a lot of the Caracas, Venezuela metro. The trains used to be nearly identical but both have since upgraded their trains so they don’t look as similar as they used to. But even the stations look extremely similar so I suppose they had the same engineers.

Light rail just is not in the same ballpark as heavy rail and this plays a huge role in Atlanta being the most urban of the 3.

I do agree with you on diversity having nothing to do with a place being urban and that just being off topic. That seems to be AASB fabofite topic so he will always find a way to bring it into the convo

Old Today, 03:46 PM

Savannah, Charleston.. are not all that urban cities.
Either y'all put too much emphasis in just the greater downtown areas or y'all just not that familiar with these cities. Houston, Atlanta and Dallas are all greater urban centers than the likes of Charleston and Savannah. Sure they have touristy downtowns but that is but one feature of urban centers

The big 4 southern cities each have far more in urbanity than Savannah and the other 2.

And yes, Diversity/Cosmopolitan features are most certainly a feature of urbanity. Boston, Denver and Minneapolis are a lot more diverse than to put think and they are also cosmopolitan. Its part of them being urban centers in comparison to the surrounding rural area that lack diversity.

Rural is in contrast to urban. That is true all around the world.
In the US especially the differences are more sharp. Rural areas are almost exclusively white, while urban centers are diverse. Because of the South's history rural areas are white and black and with little of anything else. So the immediate area around Atlanta's core reflecting a similar make up gives it that less cosmopolitan, lea urban feel. And the quick transition to larger lot sf homes plus the greenery just enhances Atlanta's feel of the urbanity not really extending that far.

Lets face it, Houston has the most consistently populated urban core in the South.
It's the biggest employment concentration in the South, having most jobs
Its the most diverse/Cosmopolitan core
I think As above comparison of wealth mentioned it is also the richest of the 3 while also being the cheapest
It has by far the most tall buildings of the 3.

But just because it's easier to get around without a car in ATL it automatically becomes the most urban, even though it has the most rural feel outside the core?

You gotta go really far out in the boonies to get images of Houston like this one of the city of Atlanta: https://tile.loc.gov/image-services/.../0/default.jpg

Houston in Comparison: https://d1ja9tyo8nbkbc.cloudfront.ne...5350&width=640

And I don't want to hear that those pictures are so old. Both are within the last 10 years

Last edited by KinBueno; Today at 03:55 PM..

Old Today, 03:56 PM

847 posts, read 460,505 times
Quote:
Fair enough, but you all lost me with the diversity and affluent core numbers. I can't comprehend how those numbers relate to which city will be more urban by 2030. Again, I agree with you that Houston feels larger than Atlanta, as a city. L
Fair enough. I only mentioned those to highlight some differences between Atlanta and Houston since someone said they were very similar. Diversity doesn’t make a place urban. I mean Houston is also more diverse than Chicago but absolutely not as urban.

Old Today, 04:05 PM

Chicago's core is definitely diverse and cosmopolitan. And definitely adds to its urban feel
But it's the massively core, both in area, height and population that makes Chicago feel massive.
Atlanta is none of that so bringing in Chicago is like bringing in a ham t an apples to grapes comparison.
They are all good but Chicago is just a different beast

Old Today, 04:08 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,034,850 times
The same urban experts (many who live in the suburbs) repeating themselves.

Old Today, 04:12 PM

13,358 posts, read 39,999,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
The same urban experts (many who live in the suburbs) repeating themselves.
Yup. And continuing to make off topic posts. This thread needs to be put out of its misery.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City