Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2020, 03:49 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
I don't doubt that at all. It's just Dallas get a lot of criticism on having very powerful suburbs that take away some of its potential to be much bigger than it is. Considering how developed the northern suburbs are (and Ft. Worth), Dallas is doing great for itself and capitalizing on certain traits the suburbs cannot mimic.
I just dont see how this is any different than Atlanta.Houston I do see a difference in that their suburbs dont seenm to have the same patterns of growth.Not from a lack of development but how they are developing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 03:55 PM

4,378 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post

Of the metro areas, Atlanta is still likely the most progressive one overall as it went 52 percent for Clinton in 2016 while the Houston metro area went 48 to 47 percent for Trump and DFW went 51 percent for Trump. The metros of Houston and DFW, however, could be more blue if their voter turnout wasn't among the worst in the nation, which is a problem among their very large Latino community.

Anyways, apologies for the minor derail, I thought I'd just clear some things up about Houston being supposedly conservative.
A significant amount of the Latino population are "illegal" or recent immigrants with Spanish being the first language. It's obvious why that portion of the community could not vote to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Im not so sure about this.Houston is more diverse no doubt but when it comes to who is actually involved in political decisions,its the .Houston more white controlling the political structure and Atlanta more blacks but I will say Atlanta has a vary diverse city council.
I do think Atlanta is the most liberal out of the three but thats not to say the other two are not as well.Just to a lesser extent.
Quote:
It was extreme for the poster to say Houston is conservative.I think a better wording would be its the least progressive of the three. Its large size covers more conservative areas but they are still conservative like a moderate Republlican. Mike Bloomberg is how I would describe Houston.Andrew Yang or Corey Booker is Atlanta and Joe Biden is Dallas.
Atlanta is the most liberal out the three no doubt. You can see it in the most populated counties that make up the metro (Dekalb/Fulton/Cobb/Gwinnett/Clayton) are primarily Democratic. As far as Houston being the least progressive of the three, that's a bit of a stretch. Houston is definitely more liberal than Dallas.

Harris County(Houston) is the largest blue county in the state. The largest blue county in the state is in the hands of a 28 year old democratic South American female by the name of Lina Hidalgo. Also the same county elected 17 Democratic Black Women to Judicial seats in the county.

In DFW, Dallas County is the only primarily Democratic county. DFW still has the largest urban conservative county in the NATION. Not just State but the Nation. And while Collin County is turning more blue it's still a hot spot for many conservatives. There's also Denton County and Ellis County that lean conservative.

2 of the largest counties that make up Houston's metro lean liberal. Montgomery County the 3rd largest county in the metro leans conservative. Mind you Houston was the same city where former rapper Scarface and Willie D were taken seriously as candidates in the political landscape. Black and Hispanic communities have grass roots organizations/activist in Houston that definitely make an impact on local politics in the city. In Dallas some of the political leaders in those communities are heavily influenced by respectability politics which imo isn't progressive in the slightest.

DFW is more progressive when it comes to politics influencing the economic landscape of the metro I'll agree. But socially and culturally I'd give the nod to Houston over DFW as far as progression goes.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
A significant amount of the Latino population are "illegal" or recent immigrants with Spanish being the first language. It's obvious why that portion of the community could not vote to begin with.

Atlanta is the most liberal out the three no doubt. You can see it in the most populated counties that make up the metro (Dekalb/Fulton/Cobb/Gwinnett/Clayton) are primarily Democratic. As far as Houston being the least progressive of the three, that's a bit of a stretch. Houston is definitely more liberal than Dallas.

Harris County(Houston) is the largest blue county in the state. The largest blue county in the state is in the hands of a 28 year old democratic South American female by the name of Lina Hidalgo. Also the same county elected 17 Democratic Black Women to Judicial seats in the county.

In DFW, Dallas County is the only primarily Democratic county. DFW still has the largest urban conservative county in the NATION. Not just State but the Nation. And while Collin County is turning more blue it's still a hot spot for many conservatives. There's also Denton County and Ellis County that lean conservative.

2 of the largest counties that make up Houston's metro lean liberal. Montgomery County the 3rd largest county in the metro leans conservative. Mind you Houston was the same city where former rapper Scarface and Willie D were taken seriously as candidates in the political landscape. Black and Hispanic communities have grass roots organizations/activist in Houston that definitely make an impact on local politics in the city. In Dallas some of the political leaders in those communities are heavily influenced by respectability politics which imo isn't progressive in the slightest.

DFW is more progressive when it comes to politics influencing the economic landscape of the metro I'll agree. But socially and culturally I'd give the nod to Houston over DFW as far as progression goes.
Yeh you have a point. I was thinking more about the city propers/Maybe not but for some reason Houston just feels less progressive than the others

Old 01-21-2020, 04:14 PM

355 posts, read 468,783 times
Quote:
I just dont see how this is any different than Atlanta.Houston I do see a difference in that their suburbs dont seenm to have the same patterns of growth.Not from a lack of development but how they are developing
Houston is developing a bit differently because of its expansive city limits and the number of unincorporated areas around the metro.

Atlanta and Dallas are similar if you remove Fort Worth from the conversation. People can make a very good argument that the western half of the Metroplex is doing its own thing and the same goes for Dallas. Dallas also seems a bit more multinodal because the suburbs here are economically stronger than the ones in Atlanta.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:26 PM

6,691 posts, read 9,937,987 times
Quote:
I don't doubt that at all. It's just Dallas get a lot of criticism on having very powerful suburbs that take away some of its potential to be much bigger than it is. Considering how developed the northern suburbs are (and Ft. Worth), Dallas is doing great for itself and capitalizing on certain traits the suburbs cannot mimic.
You’re spot on.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:54 PM

4,378 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Yeh you have a point. I was thinking more about the city propers/Maybe not but for some reason Houston just feels less progressive than the others
Well if your talking city proper than I can see why one would pick Dallas over Houston. Houston city proper is much more bigger than Dallas and it has about 2 million plus residents to Dallas 1 million plus. Houston annexing allowed for city limits to spill into some red territories beyond the loop. If Houston was built like Atlanta than the actual city of Houston could easily be the everything in the 610 loop. Hell the loop has bigger population than the actual city of Atlanta. So when one enters into the city limits of Houston you kind of get a mix bag of conservative to liberal vibes depending on what parts of the city your driving into. But Dallas proper being smaller and easier to maintain probably is slightly more liberal. I still hesitate to say it’s more politically progressive culturally though than Houston even when it comes to city proper.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:02 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
There are still blighted areas around in O4W close to PCM and such that you just don’t see around the KT. I think the Beltline will help those areas have a chance at revitalization though.

Where, exactly? And the KT can hardly be compared to the BeltLine.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Houston is developing a bit differently because of its expansive city limits and the number of unincorporated areas around the metro.

Atlanta and Dallas are similar if you remove Fort Worth from the conversation. People can make a very good argument that the western half of the Metroplex is doing its own thing and the same goes for Dallas. Dallas also seems a bit more multinodal because the suburbs here are economically stronger than the ones in Atlanta.
I dont see it.The entire Northen Arch of Atlanta is on fire.The call to urbanize is strong. Especially those areas where MARTA rail is like Perimeter/Dunwody/Sandy Springs and even those areas like Marietta and Vinings not served by rail
As I said before many of these cities are or have already done reinvented themselves into more urban self sustaining communities

Old 01-21-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Where, exactly? And the KT can hardly be compared to the BeltLine.
I missed that but your are right. O4W still has low income housing but the area doesnt have any "blighted" areas at all, If he said English Ave ,then sure a good bit of blight for sure

Old 01-21-2020, 06:35 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
I missed that but your are right. O4W still has low income housing but the area doesnt have any "blighted" areas at all, If he said English Ave ,then sure a good bit of blight for sure
Even his so called 'compliments' of Atlanta have always been backhanded, that's why I asked him.

There are no 'blighted' areas hardly left in O4W, and they are not BeltLine adjacent by any means. The BeltLine has become Atlanta's 'Beachfront' for all practical purposes, especially in O4W and Inman Park.

This is more indicative of what's going on there: https://atlanta.curbed.com/2020/1/17...-home-for-sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City