Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2020, 06:41 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,310 times

Advertisements

Here is a shot of Uptown Houston after a lot of new development activity The Galleria is cut out of the image. I wonder how it compares to uptown Dallas or Buckhead? I wouldn't try to compare it to Midtown Atlanta/Tech Square but maybe it can be compared to Buckhead?

Uptown Dallas:

Buckhead:

https://flic.kr/p/2iaypT4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 06:43 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Here is a shot of Uptown Houston after a lot of new development activity The Galleria is cut out of the image. I wonder how it compares to uptown Dallas or Buckhead? I wouldn't try to compare it to Midtown Atlanta/Tech Square but maybe it can be compared to Buckhead?

Yeah, it's somewhat similar to Buckhead. The layout of the two cities is so different though...

Old 01-21-2020, 06:52 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Even his so called 'compliments' of Atlanta have always been backhanded, that's why I asked him.

There are no 'blighted' areas hardly left in O4W, and they are not BeltLine adjacent by any means. The BeltLine has become Atlanta's 'Beachfront' for all practical purposes, especially in O4W and Inman Park.

This is more indicative of what's going on there: https://atlanta.curbed.com/2020/1/17...-home-for-sale
04W and Virginia Highlands are my favorite neighborhoods. It too has changed so much since I was there last summer. I am glad the city has made the effort to preserve the areas.

https://fourthwardalliance.org/about-us/get-to-know-04w

Old 01-21-2020, 07:07 PM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
West End?Thats part of Atlanta city proper.
Hapeville,East Point ,College PArk are in the same county as Atlanta (Fulton). They are their own cities just like Marietta ,Norcross and Vinings are
Yeah but to me something is off somewhere.
The Avg Income in West End is only $44k per household..

https://www.point2homes.com/US/Neigh...ographics.html

which isn't terrible, even for being an intown area of Atlanta, but I don't see how Atlanta proper can have an Avg income of $112k per household while including it, as well as other areas like East Point, College Park, Hapeville, Bankhead. Not saying that they are awful areas but there is a significant difference in incomes between them and the city proper.

Googling around you get all kinds of mixed results for Avg Incomes in Atlanta proper ranging from the low 60's to upper 90's so I'm trying to see what is and isnt included in the 112k figure mark. I personally think it's mainly Downtown / Midtown and possibly Buckhead. That I can easily see.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:21 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I dont see it.The entire Northen Arch of Atlanta is on fire.The call to urbanize is strong. Especially those areas where MARTA rail is like Perimeter/Dunwody/Sandy Springs and even those areas like Marietta and Vinings not served by rail
As I said before many of these cities are or have already done reinvented themselves into more urban self sustaining communities
I agree. I lived in Chamblee and stayed right in the Perimeter/Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area. Even though I believe Houston and DFW have more of a continuation of suburban sprawl similar to California cities(like one poster stated earlier)the suburbs that are in Atlanta imo are more urbanized than a lot of DFW and Houston's burbs.

Don't get me wrong DFW burbs are structurally more powerful on their own as respective cities than a lot of burbs in Atlanta but Atlanta really does urbanize their burbs. Now there are the burbs to the North of Dallas that tend to have more of a "urban" look to them like Richardson/Plano(a lot of suburbia too)/ Addison.

But Dunwoody/Sandy Springs/Vinnings/Smyrna/Decatur feel a little more urban as far as Burbs go than what you'll find in both Texas cities. Just my opinion.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:36 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yeah but to me something is off somewhere.
The Avg Income in West End is only $44k per household..

https://www.point2homes.com/US/Neigh...ographics.html

which isn't terrible, even for being an intown area of Atlanta, but I don't see how Atlanta proper can have an Avg income of $112k per household while including it, as well as other areas like East Point, College Park, Hapeville, Bankhead. Not saying that they are awful areas but there is a significant difference in incomes between them and the city proper.

Googling around you get all kinds of mixed results for Avg Incomes in Atlanta proper ranging from the low 60's to upper 90's so I'm trying to see what is and isnt included in the 112k figure mark. I personally think it's mainly Downtown / Midtown and possibly Buckhead. That I can easily see.
You are confusing me. Hapeville and College Park are its own city. Porsche moved its headquarters there about 3 years ago.
This is currently what is planned for that area
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/7/23...lanta-planning.
I mean look at the house and rental prices compared to Dallas and Houston

Bankhead is a city neighborhood in Atlanta but it like the West End are bow considerably uch lower in density. In both of those areas the average home price has gone up more than 50 percent as the Beltline has driven up home prices with huge new redevelopment projects.
Bankhead is right next to Buckhead and with all the development its becoming easier to see why Bankhead all of a sudden is so ripe

Old 01-21-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I agree. I lived in Chamblee and stayed right in the Perimeter/Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area. Even though I believe Houston and DFW have more of a continuation of suburban sprawl similar to California cities(like one poster stated earlier)the suburbs that are in Atlanta imo are more urbanized than a lot of DFW and Houston's burbs.

Don't get me wrong DFW burbs are structurally more powerful on their own as respective cities than a lot of burbs in Atlanta but Atlanta really does urbanize their burbs. Now there are the burbs to the North of Dallas that tend to have more of a "urban" look to them like Richardson/Plano(a lot of suburbia too)/ Addison.

But Dunwoody/Sandy Springs/Vinnings/Smyrna/Decatur feel a little more urban as far as Burbs go than what you'll find in both Texas cities. Just my opinion.
Yes Richardson and Plano are the best examples of whats going on all over Atlanta suburbs. Even in the South McDonough,Newnam and Fayetteville ,ther downtown are very urban with resturants,bars and shops right on the squares and city centers

Old 01-21-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post

Uptown Dallas:

Buckhead:

That picture doesnt show much of Buckhead as its facing South towards the Northern part of Midtown.
Here is a better picture of Buckhead in the most densest commercial part

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/zqG5...6771_b.0.0.jpg

Old 01-21-2020, 08:50 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

I'll have to disagree here. I think Atlanta burbs have more quaint historic cores because there are so many county seats, but there are DFW equivalents for every Atlanta burb you named. Even ones you didn't name like Alpharetta have DFW equivalents:

Plano
Addison
Richardson
Irving
Southlake/Westlake
Grapevine
Frisco
etc.

All of these cities have large business districts, growing downtown cores/urban districts, or both. And this doesn't include some of the other Fort Worth metro division cities either.

Last edited by DabOnEm; 01-21-2020 at 09:07 PM..

Old 01-21-2020, 09:04 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,264,749 times
There's quite literally nothing going for the conservatives in Georgia during this day and age - it's pretty much just racist old money clout such as Roy Moore. So it's easy for Atlanta to shift towards the alternative, progressive options

The Texas conservatives have a Libertarian bent, and are tied to perhaps the most lucrative industry on the planet. It's definitely a stronger, more viable machine, as well as a more worthy opponent for any progressive challengers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City