Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2020, 09:09 PM

11,779 posts, read 7,992,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I'll have to disagree here. I think Atlanta burbs have more quaint historic cores because there are so many county seats, but there are DFW equivalents for every Atlanta burb you named. Even ones you didn't name like Alpharetta have DFW equivalents:

Plano
Addison
Richardson
Irving
Southlake/Westlake
Grapevine
Frisco
etc.

All of these cities have large business districts, growing downtown cores/urban districts, or both. And this doesn't include some of the other Fort Worth metro division cities either.
Yeah I have to agree with this. I've seen all of these suburbs first hand recently and they definitely feel much more urban than most of the suburbs in Atlanta outside of Sandy Springs / Dunwoody and the core of Alpharetta.

If they are including Buckhead and Decatur they would have a stronger point but I dont really consider those suburbs anymore. Those to me are intown areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 09:15 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I'll have to disagree here. I think Atlanta burbs have more quaint historic cores because there are so many county seats, but there are DFW equivalents for every Atlanta burb you named. Even ones you didn't name like Alpharetta have DFW equivalents:

Plano
Addison
Richardson
Irving
Southlake/Westlake
Grapevine
Frisco
etc.

All of these cities have large business districts, growing downtown cores/urban districts, or both. And this doesn't include the Fort Worth metro division cities either.
Thats not what was said. In fact it was in response to theposter who said Atlanta suburbs lacked the development of Dallas which clearly wasnt true.
Even So Dallas doesnt have a suburb to match Alpharetta. On every level Alpharetta ranks considerably higher than any suburb in Dallas. Avg incomes,home values,educational attainment,etc. Alpharetta is so affluent and the amount of development is unseen anywhere else in Atlanta or Dallas. The median Household income is $105,00.Thats $20,000 more than the closest suburb of Addison
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rgia/PST045219

Old 01-21-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yeah I have to agree with this. I've seen all of these suburbs first hand recently and they definitely feel much more urban than most of the suburbs in Atlanta outside of Sandy Springs / Dunwoody and the core of Alpharetta.

If they are including Buckhead and Decatur they would have a stronger point but I dont really consider those suburbs anymore. Those to me are intown areas.
Buckhead is NOT a suburb.Its the City of Atlanta. Decatur is its own city.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Thats not what was said. In fact it was in response to theposter who said Atlanta suburbs lacked the development of Dallas which clearly wasnt true.
Even So Dallas doesnt have a suburb to match Alpharetta. On every level Alpharetta ranks considerably higher than any suburb in Dallas. Avg incomes,home values,educational attainment,etc. Alpharetta is so affluent and the amount of development is unseen anywhere else in Atlanta or Dallas. The median Household income is $105,00.Thats $20,000 more than the closest suburb of Addison
I'm sorry, and no offense but you would be completely incorrect. Frisco is what matches Alpharetta and currently Carrie's a household income of $112k a year and is every bit as affluent as Alpharetta as well. Western Plano would as well but is weighed down by Eastern Plano which resembles similarities to what is seen in Gwinnett.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Buckhead is NOT a suburb.Its the City of Atlanta. Decatur is its own city.
Technically true. Decatur to me just feels like an eastern extension of Atlanta. It is it's own entity and city but when j think of suburbs I automatically gravitate toward everything outside of I-285 hence why I called it an intown area.

Quote:
You are confusing me. Hapeville and College Park are its own city. Porsche moved its headquarters there about 3 years ago.
This is currently what is planned for that area
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/7/23...lanta-planning.
I mean look at the house and rental prices compared to Dallas and Houston

Bankhead is a city neighborhood in Atlanta but it like the West End are bow considerably uch lower in density. In both of those areas the average home price has gone up more than 50 percent as the Beltline has driven up home prices with huge new redevelopment projects.
Bankhead is right next to Buckhead and with all the development its becoming easier to see why Bankhead all of a sudden is so ripe
Earlier it was stated that what brings the avg income in Dallas down is the inclusion of many lower income areas in the city proper. Atlanta also has similar areas but are typically their own entity like what is seen in College Park / East Point / Hapeville. The Porsche Plant is a great addition but it is also for a select market and on it's own weight is not enough to raise the avg income of its surrounding munapalities. College Park and East Point avg about $30k annually household incomes. The difference is, Dallas also includes neighborhoods which weigh down the avg income where as Atlanta proper is fairly concentrated in comparison...

Old 01-21-2020, 09:29 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Technically true. Decatur to me just feels like an eastern extension of Atlanta. It is it's own entity and city but when j think of suburbs I automatically gravitate toward everything outside of I-285 hence why I called it an intown area.

Earlier it was stated that what brings the avg income in Dallas down is the inclusion of many lower income areas in the city proper. Atlanta also has similar areas but are typically their own entity like what is seen in College Park / East Point / Hapeville. The Porsche Plant is a great addition but it is also for a select market and on it's own weight is not enough to raise the avg income of its surrounding munapalities. College Park and East Point avg about $30k annually household incomes. The difference is, Dallas also includes neighborhoods which weigh down the avg income where as Atlanta proper is fairly concentrated in comparison...
I don't agree. Atlanta has some of the worst areas in the entire metro...Bankhead, Vine City, SW Atlanta are generally really poor. The median income for black residents in Atlanta is only 21k compared to white residents which is around 83k. It's such a stark divide because most blacks with wealth and money move to the suburbs.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:31 PM

Grapevine physically reminds me more of Alpharetta but it doenst have something like Avalon

Old 01-21-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't agree. Atlanta has some of the worst areas in the entire metro...Bankhead, Vine City, SW Atlanta are generally really poor. The median income for black residents in Atlanta is only 21k compared to white residents which is around 83k. It's such a stark divide because most blacks with wealth and money move to the suburbs.
Fayette and Clayton county is one of only a handful a counties in the US where the black population makes more than the white population
Yeh I dont know why one would ignore those obvious impoverished areas.Even so teh median income difference is still stark but less than what you reported.That must be per capita numbers?

Old 01-21-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
This is true but if you were to put Dallas and Atlanta side by side on a map Dallas would not only include Bankhead, Vine City, but it would also include East Point, College Park and Hapeville, and given the areas are similar in incomes it would put more of a drag on Dallas proper so to speak in terms of measuring its avg income.

Quote:
Grapevine physically reminds me more of Alpharetta but it doenst have something like Avalon
For me Frisco reminded me more of Alpharetta minus the trees and hills. It -kinda- has a similar downtown but nothing in comparison to Avalon. The closest I can think of to Avalon in DFW is probably Southlake Town Square.

Also Southlake and Westlake also remind me a bit of Alpharetta and carry avg incomes of about $250k (honestly this was just based off a quick Google, I know they are the most expensive suburbs in DFW and also carry some high end jobs but not sure if that $250k mark is accurate or not.)

Old 01-21-2020, 09:44 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Quote:
Ever heard of Southlake, TX? The median household income in Southlake is $230,700.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/southlakecitytexas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City