Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2020, 09:49 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
This is true but if you were to put Dallas and Atlanta side by side on a map Dallas would not only include Bankhead, Vine City, but it would also include East Point, College Park and Hapeville, and given the areas are similar in incomes it would put more of a drag on Dallas proper so to speak in terms of measuring its avg income.

For me Frisco reminded me more of Alpharetta minus the trees and hills. It -kinda- has a similar downtown but nothing in comparison to Avalon. The closest I can think of to Avalon in DFW is probably Southlake Town Square.

Also Southlake and Westlake also remind me a bit of Alpharetta and carry avg incomes of about $250k (honestly this was just based off a quick Google, I know they are the most expensive suburbs in DFW and also carry some high end jobs but not sure if that $250k mark is accurate or not.)
Yes but Southlake isnt anywhere as built up as Alpharetta. Alpharetta has a much more diverse population with more density.
Southlake is the whitest part of Dallas metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Ever heard of Southlake, TX? The median household income in Southlake is $230,700.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/southlakecitytexas
Southlake yes but its pales in comparison to the urbanity of Alpharetta even though tehy are roughly the same size

Old 01-21-2020, 10:05 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Southlake yes but its pales in comparison to the urbanity of Alpharetta even though tehy are roughly the same size
SouthLake town square and Park village is built up. Also there is a mixed you development called Carillon Parc that was approved last year.

https://www.virtualbx.com/constructi...ard-after-all/

Old 01-21-2020, 10:12 PM

11,779 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Where is Alpharetta any more urban than anywhere suburbia USA outside of Downtown Alpharetta and Avalon (where similar developments are seen in SouthLake)?

Those two are great walkable nodes but let's not pretend that Alpharetta as a whole is anything close to walkable.

As for diversity that part is true, although I dont really consider Alpharetta as diverse as its made out to be. It's still 60% white, 18% Asian and the rest are still minorities overall. AA's dont even make up 15% of its population.

Southlake is 80% White and about 10% Asian. It's a noticable difference but it's not an extreme one.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 01-21-2020 at 10:28 PM..

Old 01-21-2020, 10:26 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Las Colinas is the original suburban corporate Mecca and still #1 in my book. I would definitely say it’s more urban than Alpharetta.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:41 PM

6,691 posts, read 9,937,987 times
Uptown Dallas may not have much height due to height restrictions, but it has some nice density that's developing. There are quite a few highrises U/C or planned in the Uptown area. KWP has helped create a seamless transition between Uptown and Downtown. Having our Uptown adjacent to Downtown has also helped to revitalize parts of Downtown that were lagging behind. Projects are spilling over into Downtown. Like I stated previous, the KWP expansion is only going to add to the forward momentum.

KWP Expansion project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDumnJv1peg

Old 01-21-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Where is Alpharetta any more urban than anywhere suburbia USA outside of Downtown Alpharetta and Avalon (where similar developments are seen in SouthLake)?

Those two are great walkable nodes but let's not pretend that Alpharetta as a whole is anything close to walkable.

As for diversity that part is true, although I dont really consider Alpharetta as diverse as its made out to be. It's still 60% white, 18% Asian and the rest are still minorities overall. AA's dont even make up 15% of its population.

Southlake is 80% White and about 10% Asian. It's a noticable difference but it's not an extreme one.
Avalon is still building out as we speak.
As I stated before yeh Alpha Loop is Alpharetta version of the Beltline.it is linking Avalon to downtown Alpharetta. Projects like these are making Alpharetta walkable and more urban as just like the Beltline, development is begining to fill in those areas in between. The urban areas. Tif we are talking in the near future ,Alpharetta is doing all the things it takes to be a truly urban suburban community like those up North in like the Chicago suburbs to the North. Naperville comes to mind. Seeing how Alpharetta is in Fulton County , MARTA is going to be extended up there as well

Old 01-21-2020, 11:25 PM

4,378 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I'll have to disagree here. I think Atlanta burbs have more quaint historic cores because there are so many county seats, but there are DFW equivalents for every Atlanta burb you named. Even ones you didn't name like Alpharetta have DFW equivalents:

Plano
Addison
Richardson
Irving
Southlake/Westlake
Grapevine
Frisco
etc.

All of these cities have large business districts, growing downtown cores/urban districts, or both. And this doesn't include some of the other Fort Worth metro division cities either.
All those suburbs have downtown cores and business districts but their "urban" districts with the exception of Plano/Richardson and Carrolton don't feel as urban to imo in comparison to some of Atlanta's burbs. Even Duluth and Suwanee imo had some impressive urban districts.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:30 PM

11,779 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Avalon is still building out as we speak.
As I stated before yeh Alpha Loop is Alpharetta version of the Beltline.it is linking Avalon to downtown Alpharetta. Projects like these are making Alpharetta walkable and more urban as just like the Beltline, development is begining to fill in those areas in between. The urban areas. Tif we are talking in the near future ,Alpharetta is doing all the things it takes to be a truly urban suburban community like those up North in like the Chicago suburbs to the North. Naperville comes to mind. Seeing how Alpharetta is in Fulton County , MARTA is going to be extended up there as well
Yeah but all of that is still mainly restricted to the core of Alpharetta where as I'm speaking of the suburb as a whole. West Lake is just as walkable in the core as Downtown Alpharetta. When walkability extends from the core to the residential nodes is when Alpharetta would have a significant urban advantage.

For MARTA, it really needs to happen. Alpharetta desperately needs it. They initially were going to install toll lanes on GA-400 which would likely have blocked them from furthering MARTA into N.Fulton but have since postponed the project either due to severe backlash or funding or both so there is still hope MARTA will reach Alpharetta. If that happens then yeah I would have to agree it would have a significant advantage in terms of urbanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
All those suburbs have downtown cores and business districts but their "urban" districts with the exception of Plano/Richardson and Carrolton don't feel as urban to imo in comparison to some of Atlanta's burbs. Even Duluth and Suwanee imo had some impressive urban districts.
Eh... sorry but I also disagree. Duluth and Suawnee have nothing on Los Colinas, Plano or Frisco. Downtown Duluth is basically two stop lights at a railroad crossing and Suawnee is basically the intersection between Lawrenceville Suwannee Rd and Buford Hwy with a mixed use Towncenter, both of which are very car dependent in orientation of reaching them. Plano and Los Colinas can be accessed by rail.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 01-21-2020 at 11:43 PM..

Old 01-22-2020, 01:10 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,575 times
Default Ranking the cbd's of hou-dal-atl

Here are my rankings of the CBD's. This will help determine which is actually more urban/denser/ bigger city feel etc.. Please if anyone has knowledge or can help make an accurate ranking please assist. If you have pictures to prove it please post them.
Ranked by size, density and presence
__________________________________________________ _______________________________
#1) Downtown Houston, The largest by far

#2) Downtown Dallas, A BIT LARGER THAN DT-ATL

#3) Downtown Atlanta

#4) Midtown Atlanta

#5) Texas Medical Center-HOU

#6) Uptown Dallas

#8) Buckhead

#9) Uptown Houston

#10) Fort Worth

#11) Greenway Plaza-HOU

#12) legacy West -PLANO

#13) Memorial City-Houston ?

#14 Perimeter ATL ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Uptown Dallas may not have much height due to height restrictions, but it has some nice density that's developing. There are quite a few highrises U/C or planned in the Uptown area. KWP has helped create a seamless transition between Uptown and Downtown. Having our Uptown adjacent to Downtown has also helped to revitalize parts of Downtown that were lagging behind. Projects are spilling over into Downtown. Like I stated previous, the KWP expansion is only going to add to the forward momentum.

KWP Expansion project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDumnJv1peg

Last edited by jd433; 01-22-2020 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City