Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 11:15 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
While I agree with all of this post, the last sentence caught my eye in particular.

I think for DFW, the layout of the region and their success in getting large road infrastructure projects is ironically why public transit doesn't work well there. In most cases, its simply too easy to use your car to consider public transit, exceptions being certain large events. The road system has a lot of capacity and even through the growth, it seems to be holding up pretty well. Then consider that most people live in single family housing that is fundamentally difficult to connect to robust public transit, as well as the long distances and sprawl (and the weather) and it's tough to get people out of their cars. In Houston, it's a similar situation for the most part.

So I guess another thing that may be hurting it is how uncentralized DFW really is since job hubs are all over the place and the best means of connecting really is the highways they have due to the need of flexibility.
Atlanta is different because its regional road and freeway network is so insufficient for the area's needs that it almost has to have some better public transit (which, for all of its flaws, I would consider MARTA better than both DART and Metrorail).
Yes true, I didn't consider the weather as I went this January and it was nicely in the 60's but if it gets to 100's then yeah I can definitely see that being an issue. The other thing about DFW are the emense amount of employment hubs. Plano, Frisco, Los Calina's, South/West Lake, ect - its difficult to connect suburban nodes by rail. Someone commuting from Rowland for example would have to take the Blue line all the way to Downtown Dallas, then the Red Line to Plano resulting in a commute of about 1 hour where as they could just hop on the PGBT and get there in like 15 minutes. So thats another factor.

I guess in this case what really is hurting it is how uncentralized the region is as a whole since there are so many employment hubs all over the place and the best means of connecting them is the highway due to the need for flexibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 11:40 AM

1,168 posts, read 775,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
What are the highest walk scores in each central city?
Houston and Atlanta score 49 and Dallas has a 46.

The end of the decade isn't long enough for either one to pull away from the bunch. By 2030, Atlanta will still have the most compact and bustling downtown, but Houston will still have the most widespread density and walkability and Dallas will be the most interconnected metro overall (though I guess that's necessary due to its decentralized nature). Neither city really more urban as a whole.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:15 PM

140 posts, read 141,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yes true, I didn't consider the weather as I went this January and it was nicely in the 60's but if it gets to 100's then yeah I can definitely see that being an issue. The other thing about DFW are the emense amount of employment hubs. Plano, Frisco, Los Calina's, South/West Lake, ect - its difficult to connect suburban nodes by rail. Someone commuting from Rowland for example would have to take the Blue line all the way to Downtown Dallas, then the Red Line to Plano resulting in a commute of about 1 hour where as they could just hop on the PGBT and get there in like 15 minutes. So thats another factor.

I guess in this case what really is hurting it is how uncentralized the region is as a whole since there are so many employment hubs all over the place and the best means of connecting them is the highway due to the need for flexibility.
That's true where Frisco and Plano comes together it's becoming its own business district to rival the central business district in Dallas with 30 story Towers for business and condos. Also Las Colinas has almost as many jobs as the central business district so it is a whole different animal than most places. The freeway or Tollway works best and most cases

Old 01-10-2020, 06:04 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Houston and Atlanta score 49 and Dallas has a 46.

The end of the decade isn't long enough for either one to pull away from the bunch. By 2030, Atlanta will still have the most compact and bustling downtown, but Houston will still have the most widespread density and walkability and Dallas will be the most interconnected metro overall (though I guess that's necessary due to its decentralized nature). Neither city really more urban as a whole.
What are the highest walk scores in their cores?

Old 01-10-2020, 06:47 PM

340 posts, read 320,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
What are the highest walk scores in their cores?
Neighborhood___________Walk Score_____Population

Houston
Midtown________________86___________8,364
Neartown - Montrose______82___________29,175
https://www.walkscore.com/TX/Houston

Dallas
Downtown______________90____________6,074
Oak Lawn______________86____________23,734
Henderson_____________ 83____________3,504
Roseland_______________81____________2,507
https://www.walkscore.com/TX/Dallas

Atlanta
Atlanta has a total combined population (if I added up correctly) of 46,326 in areas with an 80 or above walkscore.
https://www.walkscore.com/GA/Atlanta

Last edited by Ric 0_0; 01-10-2020 at 06:59 PM..

Old 01-10-2020, 09:00 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
I think the areas in Houston that will have the highest walk-scores at the end of the decade will be Downtown, EaDo and Mistown. Theirs also a chance some suburban redevelopment might get us a walkable suburban downtown but I doubt it.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:10 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Those populations are based on 2010 data if I recall on walkscore so take that with a grain of salt. Hopefully in a year or two, the census will make things a lot more clear.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:13 PM

492 posts, read 534,738 times
Atlanta feels more compact and vibrant in the core

Houston is more dense

Dallas has always been meh for me. Just pure suburbia and office parks..

Old 01-10-2020, 10:21 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post
Atlanta feels more compact and vibrant in the core

Houston is more dense

Dallas has always been meh for me. Just pure suburbia and office parks
I agree with this, but I checked the pipeline and a lot of the projects in Dallas are going to help the density and urbanity feel a lot. Atlanta wins hands down now..but what will 2029 look like?

Old 01-11-2020, 12:04 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
Neighborhood___________Walk Score_____Population

Houston
Midtown________________86___________8,364
Neartown - Montrose______82___________29,175
https://www.walkscore.com/TX/Houston

Dallas
Downtown______________90____________6,074
Oak Lawn______________86____________23,734
Henderson_____________ 83____________3,504
Roseland_______________81____________2,507
https://www.walkscore.com/TX/Dallas

Atlanta
Atlanta has a total combined population (if I added up correctly) of 46,326 in areas with an 80 or above walkscore.
https://www.walkscore.com/GA/Atlanta
If you go by neighborhoods like the other cities all of Atlanta most walkable neighborhoods are rated with scores considerably higher
Rank Name Walk Score Transit Score Bike Score Population

Georgia State University
97 82 80 1,040

Peachtree Center
91 79 73 2,618

Buckhead Village
91 44 58 1,604

Sweet Auburn
90 72 82 1,828

South Downtown
89 81 62 1,851
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City