Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2020, 11:18 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Somewhat, but you need to picture certain areas with similar homes on multiple acres in a forest. Some neighborhoods are next to steep ravines, adjacent to National Wilderness corridors along the Chattahoochee. A few are up to 15 to 20 acres, but this is the exception. You have to see it in person to comprehend how unique it is, especially considering its location.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 11:25 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding all! On the phone with my sister.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:29 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I don't think it's the same. Do people keep horses in those neighborhoods? You would swear you were in the mountains in certain sections. We're talking driveways with bridges over streams with little waterfalls and boulders, in the middle of old growth forests. If someone plopped you down blindfolded in these spots, you would have zero clue you were in the middle of a big city.
Your right, I was originally gonna mention Buckhead in my post as a prime example why but tbh it isn't just Buckhead. I don't know if the inner loop was overlayed over Atlanta, that Atlanta would have a single neighborhood denser than Houston outside of the obvious immediate Downtown+Midtown+plus one or two surrounding neighborhoods. Eastern portion of the inner loop is pretty low density still but it's not just Buckhead especially when talking about the ITP.

Vinings+Buckhead+Southern Sandy Springs+Brookhaven+Chamblee definitely play a major role. But it's also literally- College Park+East Point+Hapeville and all of DeKalb save for maybe the area around Edgewood in Atlanta , Not to mention western Atlanta itself is very open, like I said ATL might win the 1 mile and 2 mile radius, grow any bigger and it's a landslide in the other direction. The only area besides immediate downtown that would be more populous in the opposite comparison might be NE Houston. The far NE (Mount Houston area and points SE) is probably less dense than the Doraville area.

For example in ATL using radius tool
14.00 miles covers the Beltway of Houston and a few areas to the west of it, not really the core but not the exurbs/outer suburbs either.
1.70 million
9.00 miles covers most of the ITP and a bit outside of it as well-
810,000 people (moved North as the core is more northern focus than southern focused (i.e get less people if you center it further south(got like 740,000 for exactly DTA).
6.00 miles- 420,000
3.00- 140,000
2.00- 85,000
1.00- 47,000 barely covers DT ATL or Midtown so just focused it on DT.

Houston-
14.00 miles- 2.37 million
9.00 miles covers inner loop and western portion of beltway area doesn't reach the beltway, moved West.
1.2 million
6.00 miles inner loop Houston, plus Uptown and a few areas just a bit to the West of the Inner Loop, doesn't cover the far eastern reaches of ITL.
3.00- 160,000 with no Buckhead, Houston's gonna be in the lead pretty early on.
2.00- 82,000 Houston's density starts to show
1.00- 43,000 because DT Houston is so small covers a substantial part of Northern Midtown and Eado as well as Fourth Ward, so who knows.

The data does get worse when you go smaller so I wouldn't say this is necessarily accurate but interesting nonetheless.
https://www.freemaptools.com/find-population.htm

Dallas
14- 2.19 million
9- 1,030,000
6- 506,000
3- 160,000
2- 44,000- Central Dallas has a river and lots of Parkland so this cuts a lot into population data compared to other cities.
1- 22,000- Because of Dallas's unique shape doesn't get as many neighborhoods immediately outside of the city

This basically proves what I expected, except gave Houston a boost DT because of it's small boundaries and hurts Dallas because of parkland.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:30 PM

Location: 19506 Cardiff Park Lane, Houston, Texas, 77094, United States
1 posts, read 586 times
good

Old 01-22-2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Your right, I was originally gonna mention Buckhead in my post as a prime example why but tbh it isn't just Buckhead. I don't know if the inner loop was overlayed over Atlanta, that Atlanta would have a single neighborhood denser than Houston outside of the obvious immediate Downtown+Midtown+plus one or two surrounding neighborhoods. Eastern portion of the inner loop is pretty low density still but it's not just Buckhead especially when talking about the ITP.

Vinings+Buckhead+Southern Sandy Springs+Brookhaven+Chamblee definitely play a major role. But it's also literally- College Park+East Point+Hapeville and all of DeKalb save for maybe the area around Edgewood in Atlanta , Not to mention western Atlanta itself is very open, like I said ATL might win the 1 mile and 2 mile radius, grow any bigger and it's a landslide in the other direction. The only area besides immediate downtown that would be more populous in the opposite comparison might be NE Houston. The far NE (Mount Houston area and points SE) is probably less dense than the Doraville area.

For example in ATL using radius tool
14.00 miles covers the Beltway of Houston and a few areas to the west of it, not really the core but not the exurbs/outer suburbs either.
1.70 million
9.00 miles covers most of the ITP and a bit outside of it as well-
810,000 people (moved North as the core is more northern focus than southern focused (i.e get less people if you center it further south(got like 740,000 for exactly DTA).
6.00 miles- 420,000
3.00- 140,000
2.00- 85,000
1.00- 47,000 barely covers DT ATL or Midtown so just focused it on DT.

Houston-
14.00 miles- 2.37 million
9.00 miles covers inner loop and western portion of beltway area doesn't reach the beltway, moved West.
1.2 million
6.00 miles inner loop Houston, plus Uptown and a few areas just a bit to the West of the Inner Loop, doesn't cover the far eastern reaches of ITL.
3.00- 160,000 with no Buckhead, Houston's gonna be in the lead pretty early on.
2.00- 82,000 Houston's density starts to show
1.00- 43,000 because DT Houston is so small covers a substantial part of Northern Midtown and Eado as well as Fourth Ward, so who knows.

The data does get worse when you go smaller so I wouldn't say this is necessarily accurate but interesting nonetheless.
https://www.freemaptools.com/find-population.htm

Dallas
14- 2.19 million
9- 1,030,000
6- 506,000
3- 160,000
2- 44,000- Central Dallas has a river and lots of Parkland so this cuts a lot into population data compared to other cities.
1- 22,000- Because of Dallas's unique shape doesn't get as many neighborhoods immediately outside of the city

This basically proves what I expected, except gave Houston a boost DT because of it's small boundaries and hurts Dallas because of parkland.
Yep, Atlanta is definitely structurally different. Think of all of the late 50's to early 70's brick ranches on large lots in all the inner ring ITP mature suburbs. It's a totally different setup from Dallas and Houston, but especially Houston.

Until fairly recently, our lots are BIG here compared to Texas. This still somewhat holds true the further out you go in most of the burbs here.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:55 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
One of the things that helped Atlanta’s urbanity in a way is that they didn’t close in their downtown with freeways like the Texas cities did. Why the Texas cities did this, I haven’t a clue why but it was a mistake that they want corrected. Downtown Houston and Downtown Dallas are not only choked away from the city, but from the neighborhoods adjacent to them. Dallas got a head start by capping Woodall Rodgers freeway. Houston is wanting to do an Atlanta style connector and demolishing or turning the pierce freeway into a park. Dallas also wants to demolish I345 I believe.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:12 AM

6,691 posts, read 9,937,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
One of the things that helped Atlanta’s urbanity in a way is that they didn’t close in their downtown with freeways like the Texas cities did. Why the Texas cities did this, I haven’t a clue why but it was a mistake that they want corrected. Downtown Houston and Downtown Dallas are not only choked away from the city, but from the neighborhoods adjacent to them. Dallas got a head start by capping Woodall Rodgers freeway. Houston is wanting to do an Atlanta style connector and demolishing or turning the pierce freeway into a park. Dallas also wants to demolish I345 I believe.
Great point. That has probably been the most damaging thing that has happened to Downtown. It’s one of the main reasons Downtown Dallas started to decline. I glad that we are now trying to address it. The removal of 345 would do amazing things for Downtown.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:55 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Somewhat, but you need to picture certain areas with similar homes on multiple acres in a forest. Some neighborhoods are next to steep ravines, adjacent to National Wilderness corridors along the Chattahoochee. A few are up to 15 to 20 acres, but this is the exception. You have to see it in person to comprehend how unique it is, especially considering its location.
Buckhead is truly a unique place for this reason. I remember many years ago I was with a friend who lives in the area returning from hanging out til 3 am. Driving through those hills and sharp turns among the trees in the pitch dark we encountered a small family of Coyotes crossing the street!
Whitin 5 min you are back in a bustling corridor of high rise office buildings, bars,retail ,and restaurants!
Its like night and day.Most people never get to see the residential part of Buckhead as if you arent driving,its harder to get to unlike the commercial district where you can ride the subway up using MARTA
My friends parents are super wealthy and they live in a house that was built in the 1930s and it was used for filming in one of Tyler Perrys shows
The house was built in 1934 for the son of Coca-Cola Company president Samuel Candler Dobbs and was originally called Marcan Hall according to the Atlanta History Center.
The house is over 15,000 sq feet and thats not including the carriage and guest house
https://www.atlantamagazine.com/home...odendron-hall/

Last edited by CleverOne; 01-23-2020 at 08:08 AM..

Old 01-23-2020, 08:00 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Speaking of Tyler Perry.This is the house he built and later sold in BUckhead.You can see from the sky how bug the property is.
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvstcGFeeu4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvstcGFeeu4

Old 01-23-2020, 08:37 AM

355 posts, read 468,783 times
Once Dallas gets more people in the Deep Ellum and CBD, its density should increase quite a bit. There's so much available land (largest in the nation) and so much can be done to improve our urban core.

https://www.commercialcafe.com/blog/...-major-us-cbd/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City