Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2020, 05:26 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,992,594 times

Advertisements

Admittedly on my trips to Atlanta from Austin, Atlanta's skyline has the ability to make me say 'Whoa' when viewed from a distance. Namely on I-20 (the route I usually take) at the six flags area coming down the hill. You don't realize how close you are to it because how forested the area is until suddenly it emerges and then you see the whole skyline dead ahead of you.

Houston is my next favorite skyline in this list, then Dallas. I think what hurts Dallas the most is the biulding height restrictions. Nothing wrong with it but Atlanta's skyline makes Atlanta feel bigger than a 6 mil people metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 07:21 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,193,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Thanks

Here’s a list of project from the top of my head in the Downtown/Uptown area

Atelier Flora Lofts - 41 floors (Downtown)
The Victor - 39 floors (Victory Park)
Victory Commons - 15 floors (Victory Park)
The Link at Uptown - 25 floors (Uptown)
Amli Fountain Place - 45 floors (Downtown)
Swexan Hotel - 20 floors (Uptown)
AT&T Discovery District - redevelopment of AT&T’s corporate HQ campus (Downtown)

Planned

Field Street District - $1 billion 4 building development (Downtown). This is the largest planned development by far.
Harwood No.12 - 42 floors (Uptown) it’s expected to be 620ft. That’s the height that was approved by the FAA. It will be the tallest building outside of Downtown.

In this video you can see some of the projects listed above U/C

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=c8x6aXpLBVs
Out of curiosity, how tall will the buildings in the Field Street District be?

Old 01-26-2020, 07:24 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Admittedly on my trips to Atlanta from Austin, Atlanta's skyline has the ability to make me say 'Whoa' when viewed from a distance. Namely on I-20 (the route I usually take) at the six flags area coming down the hill. You don't realize how close you are to it because how forested the area is until suddenly it emerges and then you see the whole skyline dead ahead of you.

Houston is my next favorite skyline in this list, then Dallas. I think what hurts Dallas the most is the biulding height restrictions. Nothing wrong with it but Atlanta's skyline makes Atlanta feel bigger than a 6 mil people metro.
You are not alone in this. Atlanta will make you a little giddy on the inside from Six Flags. It’s one of the best vantage points from your vehicle of the central skyline. Another is turning onto 17th from off Northside Dr. It’s the same view, but up close.

I think the best view of Buckhead is along 85 headed into DeKalb County from Midtown. Buckhead alone could be mistaken for a big city if you didn’t know where you were.

For all of the folks that will look up these locations on Google Map: Google can’t replicate what you experience in real life. Come visit Atlanta and get you some of that Southern feel good to take back home!

Old 01-27-2020, 01:16 PM

6,691 posts, read 9,937,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Out of curiosity, how tall will the buildings in the Field Street District be?
I have no idea. I don’t think they gave the height for the buildings just yet.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

Love Field is not too far from Downtown/Uptown. The further you are from Love Field, the taller the buildings become.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
Dallas will look very nice if it fills in. I really don't care too much about super tall buildings. Street presence & functionality are the main concerns for Dallas to make it a viable downtown. And because of this new development wave having an emphasis on those two points, it has a solid argument to be great. No bias.

In Uptown, Knox-Henderson, & Oak Lawn, the majority of the empty lots have developments in the works, so it'll be interesting to see them go up in the next two years. Once they come online, it's going to resemble Midtown Atlanta a whole lot.

Downtown, Deep Ellum, Cedars, West Dallas, & Oak Cliff are developing in a way I cannot predict, so we need to pay close attention to what's in store for those neighborhoods.
I couldn’t agree more.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:54 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,575 times
Default Dallas and Houston

They are both doing a lot of infill right now. Wait a few years and they will both have a lot more residential development in the core. They also still both have a lot of vacant land, parking lots etc. Dallas is pretty empty South of downtown and even East of Downtown but those areas are being developed.
Now A LOT OF THE LOCALS DONT LIKE GENTRIFICATION. as those old empty, blighted areas on the South Side become developed there is resistance from the community.

Quote:
I couldn’t agree more.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:50 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
I couldn’t agree more.

Many of us here are of the same mindset. Infill please, we have plenty of tall buildings!

Old 01-27-2020, 07:26 PM

17,146 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Many of us here are of the same mindset. Infill please, we have plenty of tall buildings!
Yep. Lots of reasons why Midtown is so attractive. Lots of midrise infill, creating a much better street-level atmosphere.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:58 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
They are both doing a lot of infill right now. Wait a few years and they will both have a lot more residential development in the core. They also still both have a lot of vacant land, parking lots etc. Dallas is pretty empty South of downtown and even East of Downtown but those areas are being developed.
Now A LOT OF THE LOCALS DONT LIKE GENTRIFICATION. as those old empty, blighted areas on the South Side become developed there is resistance from the community.
It’s going to take a while before gentrification hits South Dallas IMO. Dallas has tons of land East of downtown to develop before South Dallas should even be discussed but yes that will be in epic battle. I personally hope that South Dallas residents in the form of jobs will benefit from the growth East of downtown in the coming years. South Dallas doesn’t need to be gentrified but integrated into Dallas economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City