Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 02:46 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USARoadTrip View Post
Dallas is the epitome of sprawl with McMansions and Office parks. I have been to the city 6 times and it looked like nothing but endless office parks and suburbia with McMansions.

Atlanta made some good strides in walkability with projects like the Beltline. Some of the suburbs like downtown Alpharetta and the mixed use developments like Avalon and Halcyon have impressed me. The traffic situation in Atlanta will force more vertical and more mixed use live work play developments in the coming decade.

Houston falls somewhere in between, not as bad as Dallas but still feels sprawled out compared to Atlanta..
Yeah, this post is inaccurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 03:55 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post
Atlanta feels more compact and vibrant in the core

Houston is more dense

Dallas has always been meh for me. Just pure suburbia and office parks..
Atlanta’s “urban” footprint drops off real quick and isn’t very large. Houston and Dallas are more densely developed for miles outside their cores. Atlanta’s urbanity will be limited due to the leafy single family neighborhoods ringing Midtown-Downtown.

I’m not sure what’s so suburban about Central Dallas. What’s a good suburb to compare it to?

Old 01-11-2020, 05:07 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Atlanta’s “urban” footprint drops off real quick and isn’t very large. Houston and Dallas are more densely developed for miles outside their cores. Atlanta’s urbanity will be limited due to the leafy single family neighborhoods ringing Midtown-Downtown.

I’m not sure what’s so suburban about Central Dallas. What’s a good suburb to compare it to?
It's not that central Dallas isn't suburban, it's that noone can call it suburban and walk in Houston the next day and say this is dense, yeah their's a difference but we are max talking about 1,000ppsm, in reality 5,000 ppsm difference is often hard to notice let alone a 10,000 ppsm difference. 1,000 ppsm visually is nothing. Atlanta is the exact same, a few really good areas but go to Buckhead or Bankhead from either of those urban points and it feels like their's no density almost immediately.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:31 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post
Atlanta feels more compact and vibrant in the core

Houston is more dense

Dallas has always been meh for me. Just pure suburbia and office parks..
That post was so disrespectful to Dallas. You know darn well you haven’t spent any time in Central Dallas. Who you trying to fool?

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 01-11-2020 at 05:40 PM..

Old 01-11-2020, 05:41 PM

6,718 posts, read 6,711,443 times
I think DT Austin will be way more walkable than any of them. It doesn't have the legacy of building 80s/90s office towers out in edge cities like the others. It still has the rapid drop down to Single Family Homes from Downtown west of Lamar, but east of Lamar to I-35 and south of the Capitol is already very walkable.

I'd be curious to see census tract density around DT Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta. None of the three is walkable, but I'd give Dallas a slight edge for having Deep Ellum and Uptown/McKinney Ave adjacent to DT.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:35 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I think DT Austin will be way more walkable than any of them. It doesn't have the legacy of building 80s/90s office towers out in edge cities like the others. It still has the rapid drop down to Single Family Homes from Downtown west of Lamar, but east of Lamar to I-35 and south of the Capitol is already very walkable.

I'd be curious to see census tract density around DT Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta. None of the three is walkable, but I'd give Dallas a slight edge for having Deep Ellum and Uptown/McKinney Ave adjacent to DT.
WHET?

Old 01-11-2020, 06:59 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:

Even though Atlanta has a better walking score than Dallas. Your clearly not that familiar with the city to say this.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:12 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Quote:
I'd be curious to see census tract density around DT Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta. None of the three is walkable, but I'd give Dallas a slight edge for having Deep Ellum and Uptown/McKinney Ave adjacent to DT
Lol. Wow. Despite all of them having high wallacores in those areas with Atlanta having the most?,.sure

Old 01-11-2020, 07:50 PM

276 posts, read 167,953 times
Quote:

By adjacent, you mean across a series of highway overpasses?

Old 01-11-2020, 07:57 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:

All three likely have a higher density than Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City