Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2020, 09:12 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Lol, I never been to Latin America but umm the pictures I've seen look nothing like Houston. Houston does look similar to a city like Orlando or hell even Baton Rogue(a more beautified Baton Rogue) but Latin America? Miami is the closest America has to a Latin American city in development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 04:42 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatdaddycatcher View Post
Houston. Easily. ATL and then Dallas. I have only visited ATL and that was almost 20 years ago but have lived in Dallas and Houston. Houston is already the most urban of the three and will continue to be the most urban. Not to say ATL & Dallas don't have any urban charm to them because they do. Houston's urbanity just stands out more.
One thing I have learned from this site. The opinions on this site should be taken with a grain of salt unless someone is convincingly qualified to speak on a city and it's amenities. I saw a thread of Minneapolis vs Houston and it was about which city is the better city to live etc... And the thread gave Minneapolis the overwhelming victory. I had to stop and look at this. This is the centerpiece of the thought process on this website. Cities with high white populations are seen as the best cities by their white peers which is safe to assume is the largest demographic in these forums. But it is an absolute insult to say that Minneapolis was the better city based on the criteria. The posters were big upping the "highly educated" population of Minneapolis. And I cant help but think to myself, if Minneapolis is so much greater than Houston with all of these highly educated people then why isn't Minneapolis making major cultural contributions to USA like the city of Houston has and continues to do? hmmm?
A caveat comes with white people voting. They only up vote for other white cities and areas. OK. Cool. but that doesn't necessarily reflect the truth. And for the most part that is what you are not getting when you read responses on this site. You can't get a truthful picture of a city from guys who dont travel outside their respective "safe" zones when they are in these places. i.e whites do not go to the "colored" sections of these cities. Look in the Dallas forums for example. According to posters in that forum the only happening areas in Dallas are: central Dallas, bishop arts, deep ellum, victory park... these areas are the hip areas according to the posters. But none of them can tell you anything about South Dallas, shopping at Big T, red bird mall the name changed) cruising the streets in oak cliff, or the most urban area in the metroplex, fair park,or henderson's in Irving and Arlington, And NONE of the posters even mention these areas and you know why??? CUZ THEY DON'T GO THERE!
Look at the dumb arguments that happen in these threads. In a city vs city thread and it will dwindle down to something insanely stupid like how many jack in the box's in a square mile, or some stretch of truth to position a city in a way that does accurately reflect the truth of that city. You will continue to see other stupid threads continue to big up cities like Austin, Denver, Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, Fargo etc.... even though no major cultural contributions come from any of these towns.
So before anyone responds to me with any stupid stretch of the truth be sure you're qualified and have spent some time in places that you comment on.
Houston will be the most urban of the three and it already is. Houston is the most diverse of the three and will continue to be. Houston is the largest and will continue to be. Atlanta will continue to be a culture hot spot. Houston contributes culturally as well. Dallas is lagging behind the two cities in this regard. All three will continue to grow and add urban factors. At the current rates Houston is poised to remain ahead.
Im just trying to figure what do you mean by Houston being some sort of producer of culture to the US any more than a city like those you seem to think have done less.
Not to derail the topic but Minneapolis gave us the Minneapolis Sound that started with Prince but still has artist that to this day are products of that sound.

Im not saying Houston is less nor am I suggesting its more as you seem to be doing.
Being the most diverse in a pool of cities that are all very diverse is meaningless unless you are just stating as a matter of fact

Dallas is not lagging behind at all. Dallas IMO after Atlanta(ill concede its close)has done far more than Houston to grow its core.
Dallas has done an incredible job in building DART and expanding it. As the city continues to develop near its stations ,it will and is becoming more urban than Houston by far.

Atlanta is more urban than them all period.Atlanta 20 years ago was by far more urban than Houston or Dallas by a long shot. They caught up but they still behind and Houston by far is the most behind,

Sound like you are comparing Houston and Dallas of today to your visits in Atlanta 20 years ago. Even then you only visited and never lived in Atlanta.
Im perplexed how you can go on about posters who make statements about cities and have no experience as to what they are talking about when you based on your own statements are doing the same thing.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:51 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Houston has made more of an emphasis on urbanizing and building up from its districts and not just downtown so its development is different from Dallas and Atlanta. There are advantages and disadvantages to that. I wouldn't use words like by far though. I defintely wouldn't say Atlanta was far more urban by a long shot 20 years ago. Its core was more urban but it's not like we're comparing Houston or Dallas to DC here. I think fatdaddycatcher was a bit over the top but to say Houston is behind by far is just as worse of a comment.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:22 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Completely agree.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston has made more of an emphasis on urbanizing and building up from its districts and not just downtown so its development is different from Dallas and Atlanta. There are advantages and disadvantages to that. I wouldn't use words like by far though. I defintely wouldn't say Atlanta was far more urban by a long shot 20 years ago. Its core was more urban but it's not like we're comparing Houston or Dallas to DC here. I think fatdaddycatcher was a bit over the top but to say Houston is behind by far is just as worse of a comment.
Yeah BY FAR is a little too much. Chicago is by FAR, NYC is by FAR. Houston,Dallas,Atlanta as far as urbanity goes either way are not FAR APART. Noticeable yes, but not by much.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:47 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Going from Houston to Atlanta is going to be more noticeable that Dallas to either city. Dallas seems like a blend of both.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:09 PM

18 posts, read 12,168 times
Anyone who thinks Minneapolis is a diverse city only proves my point. My point is loud and clear and it's interesting to me the responses I received because they glared past my racial observation on this site. If it makes you uncomfortable...sorry. But is still stands as the truth and idc how anyone feels about the truth.
Houston produces pop culture that is shared in the major regions of USA.
Prince created the sound of Minneapolis not the other way around. And does that sound still come from Minneapolis? If I go to Minneapolis is the culture of the city one of "Purple Rain"? the CULTURE of the city of Houston produces artists and creativity that is far more popular than anything coming from Minneapolis The CULTURE of Houston has given you bands like ZZ Top and current pop artist Meg Thee Stallion. Now im not saying Minneapolis doesnt produce artists or have any culture because it does. But it is not anywhere near the level that is Houston.
I will also agree with the urbanity of ATL. I would put ATL and Houston neck and neck in terms of urbanity. Dallas is still behind imo. Mind you I have visited ATL since 20 years ago I just didnt spend enough time to call it scouting.
Now the question of which will be more urban by the end of the decade I still stand with Houston. The demographics of Houston ensure a much more international mix of flavor that you will not get in Dallas or ATL. Also with having a shipping port which will be the reason I believe Houston will remain on top. Dallas & ATL are alike in demographics. ATL & Houston are alike in Urbanity for the most part. Dallas & Houston are alike in the fact that they are in the same state but they are two completely different cities. Dallas is getting a little more of that gulf coast feel but since it is not near the gulf it doesnt really get all the way into it in the way that Houston does. Zydeco and even is popular in Houston. Not so much in Dallas. Mardi Gras gets mentioned in Houston. Not Dallas or ATL and that is a serious cultural cornerstone. This is coming from a guy from Arizona!
Im scheduled to actually go to ATL later this year so Ill be able to do a thorough investigation lol. All three cities have some urban appeal to them. That is not an argument. I just feel the international mix that you get in Houston is far greater than Dallas & ATL and that will be the say so in terms of truly urban in the long run. The cities of the future will be cities who have the greatest confluence of cultures and produce a hegemony that is unique to that city. ATL & Dallas are behind Houston in this regard. You can barely get Mexican food in Atlanta ijs. All three are great cities that will continue to grow tremendously but Houston will stay the biggest.
Houston- 2,300,000
Dallas- 1,300,000
Atlanta- 500,000
Of course these are core sizes but guess what? That is the difference maker. Bigger core produces more power. It is what it is.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:59 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
I just feel the international mix that you get in Houston is far greater than Dallas & ATL and that will be the say so in terms of truly urban in the long run. The cities of the future will be cities who have the greatest confluence of cultures and produce a hegemony that is unique to that city. ATL & Dallas are behind Houston in this regard.
Diversity really has no bearing on urbanity. If that was the case, LA and Miami would be a ton more urban than they are right now.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Anyone who thinks Minneapolis is a diverse city only proves my point. My point is loud and clear and it's interesting to me the responses I received because they glared past my racial observation on this site. If it makes you uncomfortable...sorry. But is still stands as the truth and idc how anyone feels about the truth.
Houston produces pop culture that is shared in the major regions of USA.
Prince created the sound of Minneapolis not the other way around. And does that sound still come from Minneapolis? If I go to Minneapolis is the culture of the city one of "Purple Rain"? the CULTURE of the city of Houston produces artists and creativity that is far more popular than anything coming from Minneapolis The CULTURE of Houston has given you bands like ZZ Top and current pop artist Meg Thee Stallion. Now im not saying Minneapolis doesnt produce artists or have any culture because it does. But it is not anywhere near the level that is Houston.
I will also agree with the urbanity of ATL. I would put ATL and Houston neck and neck in terms of urbanity. Dallas is still behind imo. Mind you I have visited ATL since 20 years ago I just didnt spend enough time to call it scouting.
Now the question of which will be more urban by the end of the decade I still stand with Houston. The demographics of Houston ensure a much more international mix of flavor that you will not get in Dallas or ATL. Also with having a shipping port which will be the reason I believe Houston will remain on top. Dallas & ATL are alike in demographics. ATL & Houston are alike in Urbanity for the most part. Dallas & Houston are alike in the fact that they are in the same state but they are two completely different cities. Dallas is getting a little more of that gulf coast feel but since it is not near the gulf it doesnt really get all the way into it in the way that Houston does. Zydeco and even is popular in Houston. Not so much in Dallas. Mardi Gras gets mentioned in Houston. Not Dallas or ATL and that is a serious cultural cornerstone. This is coming from a guy from Arizona!
Im scheduled to actually go to ATL later this year so Ill be able to do a thorough investigation lol. All three cities have some urban appeal to them. That is not an argument. I just feel the international mix that you get in Houston is far greater than Dallas & ATL and that will be the say so in terms of truly urban in the long run. The cities of the future will be cities who have the greatest confluence of cultures and produce a hegemony that is unique to that city. ATL & Dallas are behind Houston in this regard. You can barely get Mexican food in Atlanta ijs. All three are great cities that will continue to grow tremendously but Houston will stay the biggest.
Houston- 2,300,000
Dallas- 1,300,000
Atlanta- 500,000
Of course these are core sizes but guess what? That is the difference maker. Bigger core produces more power. It is what it is.
Your talking about culture. We’re talking about Urbanity here.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:24 PM

9,851 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Lol, I never been to Latin America but umm the pictures I've seen look nothing like Houston. Houston does look similar to a city like Orlando or hell even Baton Rogue(a more beautified Baton Rogue) but Latin America? Miami is the closest America has to a Latin American city in development.
Me having been to Latin America, this is what I see. In an architectural standpoint, no because Latin America’s architecture is completely different to USA. As well as the buildings being microscopic in comparison. I’m talking about how the city is organized in an urban sense. In Houston, I’ll be Downtown headed West and see clusters of buildings spring up, more and less as I keep going. The more time goes by, the more they connect. Most of the USA isn’t like this, only LA and Miami have this type of organization from my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City