Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2020, 03:55 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston has made more of an emphasis on urbanizing and building up from its districts and not just downtown so its development is different from Dallas and Atlanta. There are advantages and disadvantages to that. I wouldn't use words like by far though. I defintely wouldn't say Atlanta was far more urban by a long shot 20 years ago. Its core was more urban but it's not like we're comparing Houston or Dallas to DC here. I think fatdaddycatcher was a bit over the top but to say Houston is behind by far is just as worse of a comment.
What I said and stand by is that Houston has caught up by a lot in the last 20 years. Almost light years from what it was.
Atlanta problem has been after 7om its been somewhat dead but its always had a very robust tourist,business and a much higher downtown population. Its not consistent but its more than anything downton Houston comes to
Atlanta downtown population has'nt grown much in years at all until recently and its good but still drags behind Midtown and Buckhead.
Houston downtown population is considerably less than downtown Atlanta.No its not like NYC but its a noticeable and significant difference back then than today. From what I found Houstons Dowton has population of around 10,000 with a population density over 4000
Atlanta is over 26,000 with a population density of over 6700 per sq.
Downtown LA is around 8000 per sq mi for comparison.
Had I said LA by far was more urban based on this ,no one would question it but as you see its roughly the same amount distance between LA and Atlanta as Atlanta is from Houston.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/...ginning-102460

Last edited by Yac; 03-17-2020 at 07:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Me having been to Latin America, this is what I see. In an architectural standpoint, no because Latin America’s architecture is completely different to USA. As well as the buildings being microscopic in comparison. I’m talking about how the city is organized in an urban sense. In Houston, I’ll be Downtown headed West and see clusters of buildings spring up, more and less as I keep going. The more time goes by, the more they connect. Most of the USA isn’t like this, only LA and Miami have this type of organization from my experience.
I actually know what you mean and somewhat I agree but people are lost on the comparison due to Latin American cities being more dense and compact

Old 03-10-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatdaddycatcher View Post
Anyone who thinks Minneapolis is a diverse city only proves my point. My point is loud and clear and it's interesting to me the responses I received because they glared past my racial observation on this site. If it makes you uncomfortable...sorry. But is still stands as the truth and idc how anyone feels about the truth.
Houston produces pop culture that is shared in the major regions of USA.
Prince created the sound of Minneapolis not the other way around. And does that sound still come from Minneapolis? If I go to Minneapolis is the culture of the city one of "Purple Rain"? the CULTURE of the city of Houston produces artists and creativity that is far more popular than anything coming from Minneapolis The CULTURE of Houston has given you bands like ZZ Top and current pop artist Meg Thee Stallion. Now im not saying Minneapolis doesnt produce artists or have any culture because it does. But it is not anywhere near the level that is Houston.
I will also agree with the urbanity of ATL. I would put ATL and Houston neck and neck in terms of urbanity. Dallas is still behind imo. Mind you I have visited ATL since 20 years ago I just didnt spend enough time to call it scouting.
Now the question of which will be more urban by the end of the decade I still stand with Houston. The demographics of Houston ensure a much more international mix of flavor that you will not get in Dallas or ATL. Also with having a shipping port which will be the reason I believe Houston will remain on top. Dallas & ATL are alike in demographics. ATL & Houston are alike in Urbanity for the most part. Dallas & Houston are alike in the fact that they are in the same state but they are two completely different cities. Dallas is getting a little more of that gulf coast feel but since it is not near the gulf it doesnt really get all the way into it in the way that Houston does. Zydeco and even is popular in Houston. Not so much in Dallas. Mardi Gras gets mentioned in Houston. Not Dallas or ATL and that is a serious cultural cornerstone. This is coming from a guy from Arizona!
Im scheduled to actually go to ATL later this year so Ill be able to do a thorough investigation lol. All three cities have some urban appeal to them. That is not an argument. I just feel the international mix that you get in Houston is far greater than Dallas & ATL and that will be the say so in terms of truly urban in the long run. The cities of the future will be cities who have the greatest confluence of cultures and produce a hegemony that is unique to that city. ATL & Dallas are behind Houston in this regard. You can barely get Mexican food in Atlanta ijs. All three are great cities that will continue to grow tremendously but Houston will stay the biggest.
Houston- 2,300,000
Dallas- 1,300,000
Atlanta- 500,000
Of course these are core sizes but guess what? That is the difference maker. Bigger core produces more power. It is what it is.
LOL
So Houston has more power than Boston,San Francisco,D.C.etc?hmmm

No one associates Mardi Gras with Houston accept you. You really are delusional.
I had more to say about Minneapolis and the influence of Prince but that will derail the thread

Old 03-10-2020, 05:17 PM

18 posts, read 12,175 times
Urban Boston or Urban San Francisco against Urban Houston. Hmmmm.... Yep Im still giving it to Houston! Those are great places but my point has still been made. Now you all understand Urban/Diversity is synonymous. That mix is what makes your most urban cities by definition...Urban!!!! New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles... all have 1 great thing in common. Diversity/Urbanity which are the measuring sticks as to what constitutes a place being urban. Your city can have a subway, all the sidewalks, and walkability life but without diversity its just a denver, minneapolis, boston etc.... Boston ??? Urban??? Bwahahahahahaaa. Thats hilarious. Sure its not rural but there is another element to Urbanity and that element is not in any of the places I named. Don't care how good your subway works.
You are right no one associates Mardi Gras with Houston because its celebrated in Brazil and New Orleans. Here in Houston the gulf coast culture includes the celebration of Mardi gras and even in lil Galveston they have a mock parade. Im getting you all want everything to be NYC. But thats why there is NYC. Not every city has to try to be like New York in order to have an urban appeal. I would love to hear more about Prince but I'd rather hear on the NEW urban appeals that come from there. Are yall getting a clearer picture of the definition of Urban? Google it.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:38 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
^^ I think it’s another kid that’s probably never left Houston.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Urban Boston or Urban San Francisco against Urban Houston. Hmmmm.... Yep Im still giving it to Houston! Those are great places but my point has still been made. Now you all understand Urban/Diversity is synonymous. That mix is what makes your most urban cities by definition...Urban!!!! New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles... all have 1 great thing in common. Diversity/Urbanity which are the measuring sticks as to what constitutes a place being urban. Your city can have a subway, all the sidewalks, and walkability life but without diversity its just a denver, minneapolis, boston etc.... Boston ??? Urban??? Bwahahahahahaaa. Thats hilarious. Sure its not rural but there is another element to Urbanity and that element is not in any of the places I named. Don't care how good your subway works.
You are right no one associates Mardi Gras with Houston because its celebrated in Brazil and New Orleans. Here in Houston the gulf coast culture includes the celebration of Mardi gras and even in lil Galveston they have a mock parade. Im getting you all want everything to be NYC. But thats why there is NYC. Not every city has to try to be like New York in order to have an urban appeal. I would love to hear more about Prince but I'd rather hear on the NEW urban appeals that come from there. Are yall getting a clearer picture of the definition of Urban? Google it.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:17 PM

its cool man. Sorry if I hurt feelings. But now is the part where you provide your evidence for your arguments. cuz I noticed nobody is refuting anything I have said lmao. Its just childish reactions now lolol. Ill be here....

Old 03-10-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
its cool man. Sorry if I hurt feelings. But now is the part where you provide your evidence for your arguments. cuz I noticed nobody is refuting anything I have said lmao. Its just childish reactions now lolol. Ill be here....
WHat evidence have you provided? Did you miss the links I provided giving you where I got my facts?
Thats called EVIDENCE!

Old 03-10-2020, 08:56 PM

Yawn. Sorry if I don't go by your definition of urban. Like I stated all these cities have urbanity to them. Some more than others. And the dimensions of that urbanity will be different in each city. To the original question and to keep it on point... I still stand with Houston being the most urban/diverse/grit by the end of the decade between these three cities. So it looks like we are just going to have to wait until then to see huh.
I can tell that a lot of yall on here are here to just argue, call ppl names, and to troll. It also seems a lot of yall just wanna hear yourselves talk. On a website that is about cities it makes no sense how these forums come down to insults and personal attacks. That just lets me know the level that I'm dealing with. And its very easy to deal with.
Tune in 2030 and our questions will be answered. To infinity and beyond fellas!

Old 03-10-2020, 10:01 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City