Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 10:23 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I can see Castleberry Hill being included, but anything across the Connector shouldn’t be.
Also having GSU def helps downtown a lot too. DT Dallas is def lacking in that area when it comes to student population in the core.
LOL
How do you figure?That makes no sense. Summerhill is and has been one of the oldest African American downtown neighborhoods and it was racism that the interstate was was driven through it.Just like Deep Ellum was once a vibrant African American community that
Downtown was downtown long before the built the interstate cutting it off.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightnDaye View Post
I honestly think each city is doing well at infill and creating an urban experience in the mostly urban devoid broader south. IMO Atlanta does better than both Houston & Dallas, the gap is not big at all, but when thinking of a traditional Urban experience in the 21st century Atl is more forward thinking with projects outside of just Towers/buildings, as mentioned previously the Beltline being the ace in the hole.
This was exactly what Ive been saying.Atlanta has much more pockets that are connecting or far not apart.Definately more cohesive areas than the other two

Last edited by CleverOne; 03-15-2020 at 10:38 AM..

Old 03-15-2020, 01:26 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
LOL
How do you figure?That makes no sense. Summerhill is and has been one of the oldest African American downtown neighborhoods and it was racism that the interstate was was driven through it.Just like Deep Ellum was once a vibrant African American community that
Downtown was downtown long before the built the interstate cutting it off.
Wow, I must say I’m impressed that you know about the self-sufficent, bustling affluent, commercial, entertainment, residential, and Jazz & blues district built by our ancestors before central expressway highway and Woodall Rodgers freeway were built over it that killed the community known as Deep Ellum. Freedman Town extended well into North Dallas. Some of Dallas most known neighborhoods like Uptown/Oaklawn and Old North Dallas were originally settled and built by us.
Attached Thumbnails
Atlanta vs Houston vs Dallas, Which City will be more urban at the end of the decade?-a2a428aa-9cda-4c4b-9947-16e28e2f403d.jpeg  

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 03-15-2020 at 01:57 PM..

Old 03-15-2020, 02:36 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Dallas’ neighborhoods are doing a great job expanding on their unique identities to create a sense of place. Bishop Arts, Deep Ellum and so on...
Just as Sweet Auburn and Edgewood are, which absolutely are part of Downtown. The Connector is irrelevant.

Old 03-15-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Wow, I must say I’m impressed that you know about the self-sufficent, bustling affluent, commercial, entertainment, residential, and Jazz & blues district built by our ancestors before central expressway highway and Woodall Rodgers freeway were built over it that killed the community known as Deep Ellum. Freedman Town extended well into North Dallas. Some of Dallas most known neighborhoods like Uptown/Oaklawn and Old North Dallas were originally settled and built by us.
Actually its one of the tragedies about Dallas with all its explosive growth and rush to establish " a sense of place" as R1070 stated, but its places that already had a sense of place long before the current explosion of development and population explosion.

I could be wrong but it seems to me Dallas is not doing enough to preserve and promote the historical and cultural aspects of these communities.
I think because the African American community being much more prominent in Atlanta,its ability to maintain its heritage and ties to it past are much more successful.
Dont read into that meaning Dallas doesnt have prominent blacks. Obviously it does but the average person from any race including blacks who are new to the area,will have little knowledge of all the history in the area.
Even in Atlanta. A neighborhood like Summerhill that is going through a huge explosion of growth at least has visible cues of what a rich legacy it has to the African American community.
Whether it be signage,murals ,neighborhood publications or cultural heritage expositions.its more apparent that they want people to know this neighborhood an neighborhoods like them were always there.

Old 03-15-2020, 04:53 PM

6,691 posts, read 9,937,987 times
Going Deep Into Deep Ellum: Developers And Neighborhood Advocates Rediscover The Original Freedmen's Town

https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-wor...medium=Browser

Old 03-15-2020, 05:05 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Going Deep Into Deep Ellum: Developers And Neighborhood Advocates Rediscover The Original Freedmen's Town

https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-wor...medium=Browser
Very cool! Thanks for sharing this.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:33 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Just as Sweet Auburn and Edgewood are, which absolutely are part of Downtown. The Connector is irrelevant.
I’m just going by what counts as DT population. Those seem like peripheral neighborhoods rather than part of the actual DT business district. The Connector most definitely causes a divide the same way the freeways do here in Dallas. We don’t count areas outside the DT Dallas business district as part of the DT population.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I’m just going by what counts as DT population. Those seem like peripheral neighborhoods rather than part of the actual DT business district. The Connector most definitely causes a divide the same way the freeways do here in Dallas. We don’t count areas outside the DT Dallas business district as part of the DT population.
Why would downtown ONLY be the business distruct?This isnt true for Midtown or Buckhead.
Seems like you are only using the fact that there is a interstate dividing downtown . DIVIDING is not the same thing as "separating".At one time you are forgetting that much of this area was once more built up and cohesive way before there was an interstate
Those neighborhoods are interconnected with the culture history that is all of downtown

Old 03-15-2020, 09:22 PM

4,378 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Actually its one of the tragedies about Dallas with all its explosive growth and rush to establish " a sense of place" as R1070 stated, but its places that already had a sense of place long before the current explosion of development and population explosion.

I could be wrong but it seems to me Dallas is not doing enough to preserve and promote the historical and cultural aspects of these communities.
I think because the African American community being much more prominent in Atlanta,its ability to maintain its heritage and ties to it past are much more successful.
Dont read into that meaning Dallas doesnt have prominent blacks. Obviously it does but the average person from any race including blacks who are new to the area,will have little knowledge of all the history in the area.
Even in Atlanta. A neighborhood like Summerhill that is going through a huge explosion of growth at least has visible cues of what a rich legacy it has to the African American community.
Whether it be signage,murals ,neighborhood publications or cultural heritage expositions.its more apparent that they want people to know this neighborhood an neighborhoods like them were always there.
This is true. Dallas has a underappreciated African American history in the city but Dallas has done a horrible job in promoting that. Along with it's Hispanic culture as well. Aside from San Antonio, Texas is full of cities that don't promote the interesting things about their past very well. Houston does a better job though incorporating AA's contributions to the city in it's mainstream identity than Dallas does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City