Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2020, 09:25 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Maybe not evil but snide for sure.
Especially said in a manner to suggest it was an unfair advantage.On this topic, what would be an "apples to apples" comparison if not these cities downtowns?
Atlanta isnt over 300 sq miles like Dallas either but how many threads comparing these cities have been done?
Apples to apples would be the DT core without peripheral residential areas included whether they were historically part of DT or not. I’m just saying that in Dallas, those areas would be counted as their own neighborhoods with their own identities and not lumped in as DT. Sweet Auburn and Edgewood function as their own areas and that’s great that they do. The area between the Connector and North Ave. AKA SoNo has a disconnected feel from the rest of downtown and is trying to find its own identity. The SoNo name was given to it for this reason. There’s multiple areas of Central Dallas that were historically part of DT or Oak Lawn but have since broken off as they are their own thriving entities now. Dallas and Atlanta just define what is DT according to their populations in different ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 09:41 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
You will be hard pressed to find even members from the same city who all have the same definitely of "Downtown"

I for one believe downtown should be a traditional definition, not rigidly defined by barriers such as highways.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:40 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Apples to apples would be the DT core without peripheral residential areas included whether they were historically part of DT or not. I’m just saying that in Dallas, those areas would be counted as their own neighborhoods with their own identities and not lumped in as DT. Sweet Auburn and Edgewood function as their own areas and that’s great that they do. The area between the Connector and North Ave. AKA SoNo has a disconnected feel from the rest of downtown and is trying to find its own identity. The SoNo name was given to it for this reason. There’s multiple areas of Central Dallas that were historically part of DT or Oak Lawn but have since broken off as they are their own thriving entities now. Dallas and Atlanta just define what is DT according to their populations in different ways.
Do you not understand that at one time these areas were one continuous area until disinvestment and population decline added to the disjoineted feel of the areas?

Quote:
Atlanta Downtown Improvement District, Inc. (ADID) was incorporated on January 10, 1996 following an intensive campaign led by Central Atlanta Progress, Inc. (CAP) to gain the support of property owners. In accordance with the state law enabling the establishment of "community improvement districts," over 50% of the property owners in a 120-block area of Downtown signed affidavits supporting the creation of the District. Those owners represented over 80% of the property value in the District. The District was approved by the Atlanta City Council, the Mayor and the Fulton County Tax Commissioner. The District was initially committed to operate for at least six years. In January 2002, a reauthorization vote was met with overwhelming approval and included an expansion of the purposes of the District to include all the purposes allowed under state law. Reauthorization is required every six years.

The District has been expanded twice – in April, 2000, the District expanded to the north by adding 80 blocks; in June, 2007, another 20 blocks were added, this time to include the Railroad District to the south. The District currently contains 220 blocks within an area generally bounded by North Avenue on the north, Memorial Drive on the south, Piedmont Avenue and the Downtown Connector on the east, and the Norfolk-Southern rail line on the west.
https://www.atlantadowntown.com/adid...the-adid-story
I made a mistake and got off track. SUMMERHILL(Turner Field) is not considered Downtown.It is ADJACENT to South Downtown which is just a few blocks from the Memorial Drive Corridor which is considered DOWNTOWN.
My point about Summerhill was that once again you can see with all the development along Capitol Ave from Summerhill to Memorial Drive down to Bill Kennedy Drive and towards Auburn Ave its becoming an area that you can walk from one end to another and see continuous development.This is happening NOW.

Neighborhoods
Downtown is divided into nine subdistricts:

Castleberry Hill
Centennial Hill
Fairlie-Poplar
Five Points
Hotel District
Luckie Marietta
Peachtree Center
SoNo (south of North Avenue)
South Downtown
Your argument was about Downtown to the connector which below are some videos showing how the disconnection will be addressed.

How is Dallas the standard of which a downtown should be measured?
No city will ever be exactly and apple to apples comparison.Its a silly notion in the forst place. You said it soley because you didnt like the metrics in which used that made Dallas look more unfavorable.PERIOD.
These downtown neighborhoods are better connected than anything in downtown Dallas and are infilling even faster with more progress from day to day.
When you look at an areal few of Dallas,you see a lot of open space South of the city because of the flood planes but thats Dallas.
Just like Atlanta has hilly forested areas that have solid hard granite rock which makes it harder for smoother and better organized develop patterns.
It is what it is but unfair?NO?Each city finds ways around its limitations and by this measure,Atlanta is just farther ahead.

Take for instance the Georgia Tech Firth St Bridge that connects Georgia Tech to Midtown. It used to be one connected area until the interstate disconnected it.Now because of that bridge students,faculty and cars are connected seamlessly once again to Midtown.This was the ORIGINAL LAYOUT AND PLAN!!

You are focused on the here and now versus what it was and is. If there was better synergy ,like 5th street Bridge,you would not question it.
If the capping happens,this will be a moot point

https://youtu.be/HF5J4uTtN24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWj146JywGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGJQ-4ht1DU

You hated living in Atlanta ,moved to Dallas so be happy with your decision because its sound like regret and rationalization to me.Ger over it already.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:34 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
Wow...so triggered. Sorry I asked what areas are included in the DT ATL population statistics.
The areas that you listed, I would consider DT ATL. Dallas just doesn’t count anything separated by a freeway as part of the actual DT.

And no regret. I could easily move back if I regretted anything. That’s not the angle I’m coming from at all. Before I moved out here, I was hesitant to even visit based on the opinions posted on this site about how Atlanta was superior to Dallas for a list of reasons. Once I got out here, I quickly realized that was certainly not the case at all and a lot of opinions posted on here were either misinformation, ignorance or just plain homerism. I’m trying to offer a different perspective to give people like me an opportunity to know that Dallas is not some inferior city in any regard. I feel like I was misguided and it could have influenced me in a negative way.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:19 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,448,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Wow...so triggered. Sorry I asked what areas are included in the DT ATL population statistics.
The areas that you listed, I would consider DT ATL. Dallas just doesn’t count anything separated by a freeway as part of the actual DT.

And no regret. I could easily move back if I regretted anything. That’s not the angle I’m coming from at all. Before I moved out here, I was hesitant to even visit based on the opinions posted on this site about how Atlanta was superior to Dallas for a list of reasons. Once I got out here, I quickly realized that was certainly not the case at all and a lot of opinions posted on here were either misinformation, ignorance or just plain homerism. I’m trying to offer a different perspective to give people like me an opportunity to know that Dallas is not some inferior city in any regard. I feel like I was misguided and it could have influenced me in a negative way.
People are programmed to think certain ways about places they hardly know anything about.

If Dallas were to do what atlanta did when counting core population we would have over 80,000 people living downtown....

Old 03-17-2020, 09:11 PM

638 posts, read 568,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
People are programmed to think certain ways about places they hardly know anything about.

If Dallas were to do what atlanta did when counting core population we would have over 80,000 people living downtown....
Good point!

Old 03-17-2020, 09:15 PM

23,516 posts, read 23,995,040 times
I’d say Atlanta.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:13 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
Who knows. I don't think big real estate projects in any city not already under construction will get built unless they are government funded.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:53 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post

Couldve shouldce wouldve. You dont think Atlanta or Houston have those also?
Its not just about the population. Yall keep coming up with new arguments to fit what workd for Dalllas. The whole population came up because it was said over and over how urban Atlanta was with more downtown traffic.Population was a factor but here you are claiming that Dallas having more population someohow would make it more urban based on boundaries Atlanta has if it included the other side of the freeway. This is simply false because Dallas would still have less street activity as it doesnt have a GSU(50,000+ students of which more than 35,000 are downtown),a huge convention center that has WAYYY more conventions than Dallas or Houston.

Quote:
The Georgia World Congress Center (GWCC) is a convention center in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. Enclosing some 3.9 million ft2 (360,000 m2)[2][3] in exhibition space and hosting more than a million visitors each year, the GWCC is the third-largest convention center in the United States.
What I found researching Downtown Dallas as something didnt sound right.I found this:
Quote:
However, the strong organic growth of Downtown Dallas since the early 2000s and continuing into the present has now resulted in Downtown Dallas, Inc.'s expansion of the term "Downtown" to include the explosive growth occurring immediately north of the Woodall Rodgers Freeway in the Victory Park and Uptown/ Turtle Creek Districts as well as past Central Expressway to the east in the Deep Ellum and Bryan Place Districts, past Interstate 30 to the south with the Cedars District, and jumping over Interstate 35E to the west to include the Design District and Lower Oak Lawn. In total there are 15 districts that now form the definition of "Downtown"
Ill wait for someone to explain this since "atlanta is counting more areas"

Old 03-18-2020, 07:44 AM

355 posts, read 468,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Ill wait for someone to explain this since "atlanta is counting more areas"
This is a recent marketing effort to make Downtown Dallas appeal to a variety of people and companies relocating into the center city. Since there are multiple neighborhoods, it gives the perception that there's something for everyone, thus increase their population. Every city, including Atlanta, does this in an effort to grow that respective area.

The traditional method that has been used to calculate the Dallas CBD is within the loop. It's been like that for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City