Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2020, 08:35 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Yes, very true. Dallas and DFW is just laid out differently than Atlanta and Houston.
They all are laid differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 09:08 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
I'd like to get an opinion on Atlanta transit. I know Atlanta has a very underdeveloped freeway and arterial road system. Do you think that Atlanta should build more freeways? Or do you say that Atlanta doesn't need any more freeways, it needs more transit, because Atlanta already sprawls too much?

Or maybe some toll roads? Austin, for example, seems to also have a underdeveloped freeway system, but it has quite a few toll roads, and that combined freeway and toll road system is not bad. Only problem is, commuters are apparently avoiding those toll roads like the plague, so it's not helping with traffic at all.

Wall Street Journal
Frugal Motorists Test Private Toll Roads - WSJ
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...H2mHIaVgiSE_GW

IMO, for all its inadequacy, the Austin freeway plus tollway system is still better than the Sacramento expressway system, which is even scantier than Austin's. Only four or five real freeway corridors in Greater Sacramento that actually go through the built up area. No toll roads to help with it. Smaller metro areas like OKC actually have more freeways.

Old 09-11-2020, 10:50 AM

355 posts, read 468,783 times
Quote:
Yes, very true. Dallas and DFW is just laid out differently than Atlanta and Houston.
I think the Design District could be a really cool neighborhood if they made it more walkable and added a ton of residential buildings. I know that's the road that part of town is taking in terms of development.

Old 09-11-2020, 12:44 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
I think the Design District could be a really cool neighborhood if they made it more walkable and added a ton of residential buildings. I know that's the road that part of town is taking in terms of development.
It’s heading that way. A few of the streets have upgraded sidewalks and landscaping and connect well to the trail system through there. The old warehouse turned shops and galleries streets def need a more clear pedestrian infrastructure than what’s currently in place.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:09 PM

1,374 posts, read 923,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I'd like to get an opinion on Atlanta transit. I know Atlanta has a very underdeveloped freeway and arterial road system. Do you think that Atlanta should build more freeways? Or do you say that Atlanta doesn't need any more freeways, it needs more transit, because Atlanta already sprawls too much?

Or maybe some toll roads? Austin, for example, seems to also have a underdeveloped freeway system, but it has quite a few toll roads, and that combined freeway and toll road system is not bad. Only problem is, commuters are apparently avoiding those toll roads like the plague, so it's not helping with traffic at all.

Wall Street Journal

IMO, for all its inadequacy, the Austin freeway plus tollway system is still better than the Sacramento expressway system, which is even scantier than Austin's. Only four or five real freeway corridors in Greater Sacramento that actually go through the built up area. No toll roads to help with it. Smaller metro areas like OKC actually have more freeways.
Atlanta freeways aren't bad at all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQwxypGq1ew

I wouldn't build more freeways but build more MARTA lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beLZq2webeQ

It'll eventually make it's way to the other burbs (Gwinnett County) in the future.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:55 PM

ATL needs more streetcar lines and to actually implement a light rail system connecting its neighborhoods to the main MARTA lines. The ATL burbs desperately need some type of rail.

Old 09-12-2020, 01:50 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
ATL needs more streetcar lines and to actually implement a light rail system connecting its neighborhoods to the main MARTA lines. The ATL burbs desperately need some type of rail.
That's in the works. There will several crosstown routes, along with on the BeltLine. Several new BRT lines are in the planning stages as well.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:51 PM

Good to hear.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:47 PM

4,378 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

Wall Street Journal

I think Atlanta has more than enough freeways. Atlanta needs more transit. Wish Marta went out to Gwinnett County and parts of Cobb County. It was really convenient to use when me and my Wife lived in Chamblee and would take the train to the airport.

Old 09-12-2020, 11:28 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I think Atlanta has more than enough freeways. Atlanta needs more transit. Wish Marta went out to Gwinnett County and parts of Cobb County. It was really convenient to use when me and my Wife lived in Chamblee and would take the train to the airport.
It's on the ballot in Gwinnett in the general election. The plan is for the Gold Line up to Norcross and eventually to Sugarloaf, as well as several cross-County express BRT lines as a start. Fingers crossed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City