Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2020, 06:46 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I'd like to get an opinion on Atlanta transit. I know Atlanta has a very underdeveloped freeway and arterial road system. Do you think that Atlanta should build more freeways? Or do you say that Atlanta doesn't need any more freeways, it needs more transit, because Atlanta already sprawls too much?

Or maybe some toll roads? Austin, for example, seems to also have a underdeveloped freeway system, but it has quite a few toll roads, and that combined freeway and toll road system is not bad. Only problem is, commuters are apparently avoiding those toll roads like the plague, so it's not helping with traffic at all.

Wall Street Journal
Frugal Motorists Test Private Toll Roads - WSJ
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...H2mHIaVgiSE_GW

IMO, for all its inadequacy, the Austin freeway plus tollway system is still better than the Sacramento expressway system, which is even scantier than Austin's. Only four or five real freeway corridors in Greater Sacramento that actually go through the built up area. No toll roads to help with it. Smaller metro areas like OKC actually have more freeways.
Atlanta needs:
1. Commuter rail out to the outer exurbs.
2. MARTA rail out to the mid-suburbs.
3. Completion of the Beltline transit component.
4. An Outer Perimeter Freeway that rings the outer exurbs. This would have strict land regulations to preserve nature and augment park/reserve land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 08:47 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta needs:
1. Commuter rail out to the outer exurbs.
2. MARTA rail out to the mid-suburbs.
3. Completion of the Beltline transit component.
4. An Outer Perimeter Freeway that rings the outer exurbs. This would have strict land regulations to preserve nature and augment park/reserve land.
Number 4 will be the hardest to achieve, by far. There is so much mistrust of the State and the Counties it would traverse. The previous proposal for this desperately needed Freeway was originally designed to be a bypass only, but it morphed into a sprawl monster that would have chewed up the Foothills of the Appalachians, and helped bring down our last Democratic Governor. We needed it years ago, but it would literally take decades to pull it off I'm afraid.

Old 09-13-2020, 08:57 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Okay. It's still not the critical mass we have here, though. And sorry, but Houston is not a top 10 convention city, no matter which venue you include. We also have multiple convention centers. The largest are adjacent to the Airport (directly connected to ATL by the Airports Skytrain) and in the Cumberland/Galleria area, near the new Braves stadium - connected to the stadium by a new pedestrian bridge over I-285. And just as an fyi, Atlanta has approximately 96,000 hotel rooms in the Metro.
Having a convention in Atlanta is usually a let-down to attendees. Atlanta is still the stereotypically Southern hick-town that it's portrayed. (I thought the race/class-baiting GOP voter suppression efforts in Texas were bad! Texas is about to turn blue, while Georgia is still deep red.)

Las Vegas on the other hand puts a smile on their faces. (They're dreaming of the debauchery to partake after-hours!) There's no other North American city that can match Las Vegas overwhelming share for conventions! Atlanta's convention industry is really small fry compared to Vegas--it's ludicrous to even bring it up.

Old 09-13-2020, 09:08 PM

4,378 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Having a convention in Atlanta is usually a let-down to attendees. Atlanta is still the stereotypically Southern hick-town that it's portrayed. (I thought the race/class-baiting GOP voter suppression efforts in Texas were bad! Texas is about to turn blue, while Georgia is still deep red.)

Las Vegas on the other hand puts a smile on their faces. (They're dreaming of the debauchery to partake after-hours!) There's no other North American city that can match Las Vegas overwhelming share for conventions! Atlanta's convention industry is really small fry compared to Vegas--it's ludicrous to even bring it up.
Atlanta a hick town really? Atlanta was never portrayed as a hick town to begin with. As far as politics Atlanta is still more blue than any major city in TX outside of Austin and most of Georgia’s major cities are blue. You sound jealous. Lol

Old 09-13-2020, 09:23 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Number 4 will be the hardest to achieve, by far. There is so much mistrust of the State and the Counties it would traverse. The previous proposal for this desperately needed Freeway was originally designed to be a bypass only, but it morphed into a sprawl monster that would have chewed up the Foothills of the Appalachians, and helped bring down our last Democratic Governor. We needed it years ago, but it would literally take decades to pull it off I'm afraid.
Yes, exactly.

I see it now as limited-access freeway - with strict land preservation - around the now outer exurbs. And not just as a Atlanta By-Pass...I also see it as mega roundabout for North+Central Georgia.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:24 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,446,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Atlanta a hick town really? Atlanta was never portrayed as a hick town to begin with. As far as politics Atlanta is still more blue than any major city in TX outside of Austin and most of Georgia’s major cities are blue. You sound jealous. Lol
Atlanta's northern suburbs (the influential part of the state) is still very deep red compared to similar Texas suburbs! Despite the carpetbagging transplants to Metro Atlanta, the base of power is still in the northern suburbs and rural Georgia. Honest elections are hard to come by in the GOP-dominant South, especially in Georgia.

When I hear about voter suppression, I can't shake off Georgia's massive voter purge a couple of years ago by the GOP to whittle down the Democratic base. This resulted in Stacy Abrams being denied a fair election. It's very similar with Poe being cheated during the Philippine 2004 election, which he didn't take likely (he died 6 months later from a stroke).
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ess-than-week/

When the GOP tried to pull it off in Texas at the same time, the Secretary of State was forced to resign once exposed.
https://www.npr.org/2019/05/28/72752...-purge-resigns

Meanwhile in Texas, Fort Bend is the first suburban county to unthinkably turn blue on the heels of Harris County. The Democratic-majority County Commissioner Court took the opportunity to replace the aging eSlate with a paper trail system (popular in blue states) this summer. Considering that Paxton is currently suing Harris County over the mass mailing of Vote-by-Mail applications, I wouldn't be surprised that he will ludicrously allege that paper trails "threaten election integrity" in a frivolous lawsuit against FBC.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:11 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Atlanta's northern suburbs (the influential part of the state) is still very deep red compared to similar Texas suburbs! Despite the carpetbagging transplants to Metro Atlanta, the base of power is still in the northern suburbs and rural Georgia. Honest elections are hard to come by in the GOP-dominant South, especially in Georgia.

When I hear about voter suppression, I can't shake off Georgia's massive voter purge a couple of years ago by the GOP to whittle down the Democratic base. This resulted in Stacy Abrams being denied a fair election. It's very similar with Poe being cheated during the Philippine 2004 election, which he didn't take likely (he died 6 months later from a stroke).

When the GOP tried to pull it off in Texas at the same time, the Secretary of State was forced to resign once exposed.

Meanwhile in Texas, Fort Bend is the first suburban county to unthinkably turn blue on the heels of Harris County. The Democratic-majority County Commissioner Court took the opportunity to replace the aging eSlate with a paper trail system (popular in blue states) this summer. Considering that Paxton is currently suing Harris County over the mass mailing of Vote-by-Mail applications, I wouldn't be surprised that he will ludicrously allege that paper trails "threaten election integrity" in a frivolous lawsuit against FBC.
This is mostly nothing more than a total load of crap. It's pretty clear that you have a huge bias against Georgia.

The Northern suburbs of Cobb, Fulton & Gwinnett Counties voted for Hillary, as well as the rest of the Metro and all of urban Georgia. Thev 6th Congressional District in the Northern burbs that spawned the likes of Newt Gingrich and Tom Price is now Blue, with the election of Lucy McBath. Trump won Texas by a much larger margin than he did in Georgia. Yes, we have a terrible and hard-right Governor, but yours is hardly much better and ours will not be re-elected. Your Lt. Governor has stated he is willing to die 'to save the economy.' Has suburban Houston elected an out gay Asian American as a State Legislator? Gwinnett County has.

Drop the divisive rhetoric and scorched earth boosterism, you aren't doing Texas or Houston any favors here.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:01 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Having a convention in Atlanta is usually a let-down to attendees. Atlanta is still the stereotypically Southern hick-town that it's portrayed.
Riiiiiight....

Quote:
(I thought the race/class-baiting GOP voter suppression efforts in Texas were bad! Texas is about to turn blue, while Georgia is still deep red.)
Both states are trending towards solid purple/swing-state status. Neither one is getting ready to actually turn solidly blue.

Quote:
Why are you bringing up a city that's not even part of the thread?

Quote:
You may want to check out the results of the 2016 presidential and 2018 midterm elections in Atlanta's northern 'burbs.

Old 09-14-2020, 07:48 AM

4,378 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:

When’s the last time you’ve been to Atlanta? The 90s? Both of Atlanta’s most populated Northern suburban counties (Gwinnett and Cobb) are Blue. Houston’s Northern County (Montgomery) is overwhelmingly Red. DFW suburban counties are all RED. Even Austin Suburban County is RED. Atlanta metro including its northern Suburbs are much more Blue/Liberal than its comparison in any Texas metro city. Fort Bend County is the only County with a cluster of suburbs that vote Blue.

Even Burbs in Harris County that are 25-30 mins away from Downtown are Red. Which is why I probably see more Trump/Back the Blue/ Blue Lives matter bumper stickers in Houston metro than I ever saw in Atlanta metro.

Georgia does have a sh**ty Governor but you think Abbott is any better? More of the same if you ask me. Still Atlanta and it’s Burbs are generally more Blue. You have to go to Burbs in Forsyth and Cherokee to feel the red and those counties aren’t as populated nor as powerful than Fulton/Dekalb/Cobb/Gwinnett.

The fact a Black Woman got as far as she did in Georgia to almost being a Governor shows how much more progressive GA is than TX.

And I’m a Texan. And I live in The Woodlands a republican paradise.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:02 AM

8,320 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:

So its not just Dallas youre ignorant about, its Atlanta too?

Get off it man. Youre either lying or really ignorant. Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston, are not hick towns. Not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City