Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2020, 04:02 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You just moved the goalposts, that was not your original claim. Atlanta has vastly more gay owned businesses, but whatever...
I mentioned “themed” in my original post. Both cities have lots of LGBTQ owned businesses and minority and women owned businesses. There’s no denying that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 04:29 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I mentioned “themed” in my original post. Both cities have lots of LGBTQ owned businesses and minority and women owned businesses. There’s no denying that.
Still not willing to yield even an inch, are you?

Old 09-22-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Still not willing to yield even an inch, are you?
On what?

Old 09-22-2020, 05:13 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
On what?
It doesn't matter at this point, I already know the answer anyway...

Old 09-22-2020, 05:16 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Agian, the population pf Downtown Dallas is half that of Atlanta. They are also different in definition. . To this day I dont know what Old Forth Ward is defined as . Its so cohesive with downtown and Midtown. Thats really what we are talking about: access and liveability. No one goes to an area and soon as they cross a boundary line and say,"oh across the street is Old Forth Ward,not downtown so I can move or go there".

the highest ranking walkscore in Atlanta are downtown so I dont see the point as the score overall are higher across the board for those areas

Dallas Downtown ranks comparable with South Downtown Atlanta. When matched with Downtown Atlanta proper,Atlanta wins by a large margin

Atlanta has four neighborhoods with a walkscore over 90. Dallas has one.
Over 80 Dallas has 5,Atlanta has 7

The homeless issue has actually been falling in Atlanta and its noticeable.Atlanta has a relatively low homeless problem.It odes pretty well in that regard
Here is proof
https://www.security.org/resources/homeless-statistics/
Walkscore works with its own definitions of neighborhoods and they can vary greatly in size. They also generally cover the entire area of the city without overlap so there are some interesting neighborhood definitions and names on walkscore that don't necessarily gel with what people consider. It does seem to me that Dallas neighborhoods are generally defined as larger than those of Atlanta's on walkscore and so while Atlanta has 5 neighborhoods over 90 and Dallas has one, the population of the one in Dallas according to walkscore is close to the combined population of the 5 Atlanta neighborhoods.

Old 09-22-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter at this point, I already know the answer anyway...
Who has more gay owned businesses? I’ve never compared, but Texas and Georgia both have some of the highest amounts in the country. I don’t think you can go wrong with either place. Atlanta is well known for being a good place for small businesses, so no doubt there’s definitely a lot there.

I was talking about gay orientated businesses and Dallas does have more.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:35 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Page after page about which one is more gay in a thread about which one will be more urban.

Give it a rest guys, or at least tie it back to how being more gay somehow translates to being more urban

Old 09-23-2020, 03:23 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Page after page about which one is more gay in a thread about which one will be more urban.

Give it a rest guys, or at least tie it back to how being more gay somehow translates to being more urban
Well notable gayborhoods do tend to be more traditionally urban, so there's that.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:21 AM

869 posts, read 318,722 times
Quote:
You just moved the goalposts, that was not your original claim. Atlanta has vastly more gay owned businesses, but whatever...

In his defense, aren't restaurants, bars, clubs, and stores businesses as well?

Old 09-24-2020, 09:53 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
Quote:
The Atlanta area is liberal as is the case in the major cities in Texas. There’s no denying that.

Does Atlanta seem to be more liberal than Austin or Dallas? No. Houston’s numbers get watered down because of the size of Harris County and the large swaths of suburbia that’s included. Houston does come off as more Libertarian than Liberal like Austin and Dallas is which is why it’s hard to do an even comparison.
Quote:
Atlanta started electing gay candidates in the City in 2000, the same year the first suburban gay State House rep was elected. She still holds that seat. In 2001 Atlanta elected the 1st gay City Council President of a large city in the South. There are now 5 gay reps serving in the State House. From what I am finding online, Texas has 2. Considering the huge difference in population, this says Metro Atlanta and Georgia are more progressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Atlanta also had a black mayor before any of the large TX cites. It was in the mid 1990s the City of Atlanta had a domestic partnership policy in place. Way before any city in TX.
The thing is that there's quite literally nothing going for the Conservative platform in Georgia, especially in this day and age - a progressive takeover in that state should be nothing short of a piece of cake. That contrasts with the situation in Texas, where the Conservative platform is much more of a viable, worthy opponent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City