Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2020, 08:45 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
This thread is about the pot calling the kettle black. All 3 of these cities are about the same when it comes to urbanity and will continue to be so at the end of the decade. This is a waste of time.
Sorry but only a person who has never been or knows enough about all three cities would actually say that.
If it were a waste of time you wouldnt have some prefer one city over the other. I would choose Atlanta for the main reason that it has a subway and the Beltline. Those reasons alone makes it stand out over the others and one reason I feel its urbanizing at a faster rate.
Atlanta has more attractions in its core which makes it way more busier and bustling with more tourist than the other two which adds to the mix of the usual downtown traffic that all of them have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 09:45 AM

1,345 posts, read 876,112 times
There are parts of ATL with no sidewalks and can pass for a random small town neighborhood anywhere in the south. Do Dallas and Houston have similar areas?

Old 01-13-2020, 09:50 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,264,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
There are parts of ATL with no sidewalks and can pass for a random small town neighborhood anywhere in the south. Do Dallas and Houston have similar areas?
Houston has such areas - they were originally rural areas that got annexed into city limits, but the infrastructure was never updated.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:54 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Sorry but only a person who has never been or knows enough about all three cities would actually say that.
If it were a waste of time you wouldnt have some prefer one city over the other. I would choose Atlanta for the main reason that it has a subway and the Beltline. Those reasons alone makes it stand out over the others and one reason I feel its urbanizing at a faster rate.
Atlanta has more attractions in its core which makes it way more busier and bustling with more tourist than the other two which adds to the mix of the usual downtown traffic that all of them have.
Dallas has a subway..and extending it.....wake up to current times please.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:55 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
I use to live in Atlanta and now I moved back to Houston. I also use to spend summers in Dallas and have been there multiple times. I know all cities very well. While I do think Atlanta has a more urban core than Houston and Dallas and I prefer Atlanta out of the other 2 but it's by a small margin. Hell I'd say Houston probably has the better downtown at night than all 3 as of RIGHT NOW. Atlanta's tourist attraction do give it a more bustling feel during the day but at night it's dead in a lot of areas. All 3 have a lot of similarities though. They're not worlds apart but it's some slight differences. And even with MARTA being in Atlanta, Atlanta still has a huge traffic problem no different than the other 2. Matter fact worst than even Houston. The Beltline though is one of the things I miss the most about Atlanta.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:03 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I use to live in Atlanta and now I moved back to Houston. I also use to spend summers in Dallas and have been there multiple times. I know all cities very well. While I do think Atlanta has a more urban core than Houston and Dallas and I prefer Atlanta out of the other 2 but it's by a small margin. Hell I'd say Houston probably has the better downtown at night than all 3 as of RIGHT NOW. Atlanta's tourist attraction do give it a more bustling feel during the day but at night it's dead in a lot of areas. All 3 have a lot of similarities though. They're not worlds apart but it's some slight differences. And even with MARTA being in Atlanta, Atlanta still has a huge traffic problem no different than the other 2. Matter fact worst than even Houston. The Beltline though is one of the things I miss the most about Atlanta.
What's interesting is that Houston was actually rated the #1 city for events where as Atlanta was rated #6 yet has the worlds busiest airport. I dont know if those metrics were for city proper or the metro but even if it was just city proper it would go to show that even Atlanta has similar centralization issues that DFW and Houston suffer from....And yes, Houstons Downtown is surprisingly very alive at night.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:22 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
This thread is about the pot calling the kettle black. All 3 of these cities are about the same when it comes to urbanity and will continue to be so at the end of the decade. This is a waste of time.
As are most of the threads in this subforum, so what's your point? That's why the subforum exists.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:38 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Like I've previously stated Atlanta's core area feels more urban than Dallas and slightly more urban than Houston.

But when it comes to the metro as a whole Houston feels more urban overall, with DFW trailing it and Atlanta due to the lackluster of density after leaving the intown areas where as Houston and DFW seem to do a better job at maintaining it throughout its sprawl.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:55 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Dallas has a subway..and extending it.....wake up to current times please.
Dallas does NOT have a subway.It has LIGHT rail. You dont know the difference?It has no where near the capacity of scope of MARTA and never will.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:20 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Dallas does NOT have a subway.It has LIGHT rail. You dont know the difference?It has no where near the capacity of scope of MARTA and never will.
A subway is an underground railway used by electric trains. It does not specify if it is heavy rail or light rail. Just a rail that runs under the ground. Now most connect this as being a heavy rail as that is what the system that’s mostly used for subways; but it is not part of the official definition of being a subway. Therefore, Dallas light rail station, by definition, counts as a subway. They are also building a second whole line under their downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City