Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2020, 01:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times

Advertisements

I would argue Georgia actually has less cultural schism than other states for multiple reasons, even being the largest by land area.

1. It's the heart of the South, not on a border region all states it borders are Southern States

2. Atlanta is pretty centralized and more than half of the state lives in Greater Atlanta.

3. All of Georgia's highways lead to Atlanta.

Compare that to Texas

1. Texas Straddles at least 2 Regions, the South and the Southwest and technically it borders another region with Oklahoma and North Texas often getting bundled with the Great Plains not to mention it isn't far from Colorado either in the Panhandle although the Rockies stay clear of the State.

2. Texas has 3-4 population/cultural centers. Central Texas (SA+Austin+Waco+Killeen-Temple), SE Texas (Houston+Golden Triangle), North Texas (DFW), The Border Region.

3. Texas has at least 2 interstates that miss a city. I-10 misses Dallas and Austin, I-45 misses San Antonio and Austin, I-35 misses Houston, I-20 misses San Antonio, Austin and Houston.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 01:04 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
I can't find it now, but I saw retweet from this urbanist guy who was saying Houston was urbanizing with lots and lots of townhouse developments and was doing a good job of building affordable housing. Not knowing much about Houston, I was surprised.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:06 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I can't find it now, but I saw retweet from this urbanist guy who was saying Houston was urbanizing with lots and lots of townhouse developments and was doing a good job of building affordable housing. Not knowing much about Houston, I was surprised.
All major cities across the country are "urbanizing," as loosely as one can define that word.

That said, I'd be interested to find out if Houston is undergoing a large scale effort to upzone parcels within its borders like Atlanta. I haven't heard anything about this if it's happening.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:47 PM

8,320 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post

How do you figure?
Georgia while not nearly as big as Texas is a big state. The largest East of the Mississippi.
Atlanta is far different than Dalonega,or Dalton.
Valdosta is a highly conservative military town so I dont see how you can say this

If TX was so Libertarian then why the Religious Freedom laws? A law that the last Georgia Governor vetoed
Many who claim to be Libertarian werre Republicans and really only THINK they are libertarian because they are just tired of the Republican Party.
That is libertarianism.

If it were up to libertarians, you would be able to fire or refuse service to anyone based on religion or any other reason. In true libertarianism, I could fire you because I dont like your religion, hair cut, or the fact that you have kids. Passing those ridiculously laws basically enshrines a part of that.

You also have to remember that I did not say Atlanta and Valdosta were similar. They have very little in common, but they still have more in common than Houston and Amarillo.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:57 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Ive said it before and Ill say it again: Georgia is more liberal and more conservative than Texas. Texas is more libertarian. Texas is more about having the smallest government possible and being left alone. There are quite a few religious conservatives in both states, but I think my original statement is relatively accurate.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Texas is just so much bigger. We in Houston dont have a lot in common with people in Lubbock or Amarillo. Atlanta and Valdosta, for example, are very different places but not as different as Houston and Amarillo. That makes it harder to have a consensus on what Texas actually is.
How do you figure?
Georgia while not nearly as big as Texas is a big state. The largest East of the Mississippi.
Atlanta is far different than Dalonega,or Dalton.
Valdosta is a highly conservative military town so I dont see how you can say this

If TX was so Libertarian then why the Religious Freedom laws? A law that the last Georgia Governor vetoed
Many who claim to be Libertarian werre Republicans and really only THINK they are libertarian because they are just tired of the Republican Party.
Reagan actually won his election because he started the coalition of Libertarians and Religious Conservatives. Libertarians took over the economic policy portion while conservatives took over the social policy portion, and that coalition has defined American politics since then. Only recently with the emergence of the Tea Party have we seen some sort of Libertarian move towards their own party. So Libertarians for a long time where the Republicans at least economic wise.

Texas and Texans value deregulation, pro-business policies etcetera. Legitimately anything that favors the private sector is preferred. Of course theirs's still tons of government job, it doesn't have the highest private sector in America or anything like that. But generally the view in Texas is that government is the issue. The government has some of the lowest per capita spending on it's citizens. Georgia is low as well though. In Houston especially, Private MPCs are the preferred way of suburbia rather than towns planning their own neighborhoods. In fact more than 2,000,000 people live in unincorporated Harris County, as in they have no mayor, and all they get is County and some city services. This is the most by a country mile in America.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:21 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Inside the loop is where much of the townhomes are being built. Ranch style homes with large yards on large lots aren’t really that common anymore from what I’ve observed. It’s these plus mid rises with sprinkles of high rises going up.

This is helped by the fact that Houston decreased its residential lot sizes. It has certainly helped to increased the density in the loop from 4800 ppsm in the 2010 census to 5400 ppsm in 2016.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:45 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Maybe I’m just missing something. If you’re in Central Dallas or Intown Atlanta, what makes Atlanta more gay friendly? Is there an element I’m overlooking? They feel the same to me. Dallas does get the edge for gay owned / themed businesses though.
Well if you have a very large black gay community I think thats one good indicator. Black gays tend to be more reserved in many other cities. You dont see that in Atlanta. I would think having the black largest gay population in the US would feel completely different compared to Dallas where you can tell its gay culture is dominated by mainly white gays despite having a large Hispanic population.

Which is another point. DL culture is evident any most cultures that arent white.The Hispanic culture with its largely Catholic and Evangelical ties have just as much of this if not more.
In Black culture we are aware of its presence,in other ethnic or racial groups in America,its so forbidden you cant even talk about it,so it just doesnt exist.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:52 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The bolded might make sense if they didn't bring up places like Dahlonega and Dalton, which are pretty darn close to Atlanta.

Regardless, their post could have been much clearer.
Really?Come on now.
So who doesnt realize that with states like NY that have a city like NYC with more than the state of Georgia alone or Florida which has several large metros?Or even Ohio with Columbus,Cleveland,and Cincinnati?
If you follow who and what it was that I answered it was very clear and if it wasnt then it was the post I responded to that wasnt clear but land area is what I gathered the poster meant.
Even still land wise Georgia is the largest state East of the Mississippi. Thats a fact.

The point about Dalton and Dahlonega is that they may be close but they no similarities whatsoever that you can make a reasonable comparison ,which was the point

Old 09-24-2020, 06:58 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
All major cities across the country are "urbanizing," as loosely as one can define that word.

That said, I'd be interested to find out if Houston is undergoing a large scale effort to upzone parcels within its borders like Atlanta. I haven't heard anything about this if it's happening.
I think Houston tends to shy away from the formality of the 'Z' word.
They tend to achieve some semblance of what you describe through land covenants and other urban planning back channels.

Makes for a rather haphazard looking city.
It did seem rather weird to me to see 400ft condo towers jutting out from odd places, but randomness now in the inner core of the city is commonplace.

The most correct answer to your question would probably be no, but....
Houston seems to be very market driven and held back only by antiquated laws.
Like Spade said, townhomes and the occasional condo towers are replacing single family homes based on market demand and costs.

Like he also said, mandatory minimum lot sizes along with other stupid laws like minimum parking laws have been detrimental to urban development but those are disappearing.
The biggest urban detractor imo was laws governing future development and waste water management.
So get this, there was limited waste water processing capacity in the original core loop area. So to not overwhelm capacity they passed laws limiting increases in density. So for example, if there are 50 houses on 50 lots in an area, a developer who buys lots in that area are limited to either maintaining the status quo (one single family home per lot or he can purchase waste water rights from neighboring lots. So if a developer buys a lot and purchases the rights from the surrounding 10 lots so that he can build a midrises housing 10 families. So technically the area would still only house 50 families so the there is no change in population density but the urban fabric is disrupted because you don't get that continuation of higher density development. If I find the link I will post it here but Idk what prior city planners were thinking by intentionally limiting density in the core.

Capacity outside the loop as not limited so that is why you tend to find higher density zip codes around the core instead of in it. Why would developers purchase sewer rights on already pricey land in the loop when they can build instead outside the loop without hindrances.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:35 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
That is libertarianism.

If it were up to libertarians, you would be able to fire or refuse service to anyone based on religion or any other reason. In true libertarianism, I could fire you because I dont like your religion, hair cut, or the fact that you have kids. Passing those ridiculously laws basically enshrines a part of that.
Religious freedom laws are squarely within the realm of social conservatism as they only make provisions on the basis of religion. True libertarianism makes no specific provisions for the refusal of service by private entities at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City