Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2022, 03:16 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsmiths View Post
Right. I can name 5 areas in Austin that's "cooler" than anywhere in Houston or Dallas. There's a reason Austin is by far the most expensive city in Texas.

People move to Houston or Dallas because of jobs and low COL. People move to Austin for the lifestyle and outdoor recreation. Attracts two different groups of people. Lots of tourist things to do in Austin. Never heard of anybody vacationing to Houston or Dallas.
Yeah, if stats are real, Austin's price is up there with Portland and Denver? Madness. Almost double Houston's average home price. But, places are expensive for a reason why? I don't think Austin is worth the money, but nationwide, apparently, that's the case. It has a, perhaps undeserved, cool factor. Higher per capita income and healthier citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 03:21 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
I for one think is great that Houston is still affordable.

Austin got way too pricey way too fast.
Dallas prices are climbing up too.
Even the Fort Worth side is more expensive than Houston.

Old 02-27-2022, 03:23 PM

71 posts, read 45,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
First off, I don’t really agree (at least when it comes to Dallas/Atlanta). Yes, these new developments have parking decks most of the time (not sure what “capital view” project you’re talking about, could you link that?), but Atlanta’s development addresses the street well with retail or other uses. As far as transit goes, the projects are moving along but we don’t have the money for what we want to do. I don’t see how that can be seen as them “not working to become more urban”.

Not capital view, my apologies, its this.

https://twitter.com/AtlPaul1/status/1496864951587287044

Old 02-27-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

In the semi-urban areas of Houston (everything inside the loop), prices have shot up. This is what i dislike about the south, urban neighborhoods and walkability has become a commodity for the wealthy. Its the same thing in Charlotte, Austin, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta. All the neighborhoods that even exhibit a degree of good urban planning have extremely high rental prices. Meanwhile in cities like Chicago or Philly, you can live in a walkable neighborhood for affordable prices.

Old 02-27-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah, if stats are real, Austin's price is up there with Portland and Denver? Madness. Almost double Houston's average home price. But, places are expensive for a reason why? I don't think Austin is worth the money, but nationwide, apparently, that's the case. It has a, perhaps undeserved, cool factor. Higher per capita income and healthier citizens.

Austin has higher home prices than Denver and Miami, its crazy. But yeah, places are expensive for a reason. There's a reason Dallas and Houston are far more cheaper than Austin. I don't see celebrities moving to Dallas and Houston, but they're sure as hell moving to Austin.

Old 02-27-2022, 03:32 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
But by this logic, there’s not much difference between Tysons and any other major commercial suburban area. Outside of the skyscrapers, Uptown is one of the most important business districts in HOU that contains many of its biggest companies in addition to international companies as well as ever 5 star hotel in the city. Even the suburban structure of each is somewhat a stretch just because of how dense and tall Uptown’s developments are.
There really isn't, to be honest with you but I will not go much more into it because this is about Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta.

Old 02-27-2022, 03:33 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
If I had to move to a place, where celebrities are moving to wouldn't be anywhere on my list.

Good job market, affordable housing, good schools, Cosmopolitan area/ diverse population is what I would look for. Houston for me would be higher on the list of places to move to than Austin. Dallas would to.

Old 02-27-2022, 03:39 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

Houston and ATL to me would be at the top of my investment list.

Old 02-27-2022, 03:55 PM

9,851 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There really isn't, to be honest with you but I will not go much more into it because this is about Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta.
And I agree that suburbs aren’t different from one to the next, however Uptown HOU, Buckhead Atlanta aren’t in the same category as Tysons and King of Prussia. Despite all 4 of these having suburban bones and post WWII developments, they’re completely different types of neighborhoods.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:37 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsmiths View Post
Right. I can name 5 areas in Austin that's "cooler" than anywhere in Houston or Dallas. There's a reason Austin is by far the most expensive city in Texas.

People move to Houston or Dallas because of jobs and low COL. People move to Austin for the lifestyle and outdoor recreation. Attracts two different groups of people. Lots of tourist things to do in Austin. Never heard of anybody vacationing to Houston or Dallas.
Just out of curiosity, had anyone living outside of the region heard of Austin in the context of being an outdoor recreation/tourist destination before the last few years (when it became more expensive than Dallas)?

It's probably just me. I'm sure its a world class outdoor recreation area that I"ve simply been ignorant of all these years, the sudden promotion of which has nothing to do with drumming up hype to account for the fact that its COL so much higher than places that seemingly have so much more to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City