Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2022, 07:05 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Correct. I just wouldn’t group Tysons in this circle because it’s a text book suburb while the latter integrate with city and are a focal point.

In all honesty, their layout despite their position and integration is probably the reason they are the upscale districts they have became.
Oh yeah that’s what I was meaning in that they are suburban in nature that has a long way to go to become urban. Not how they function or how focal each are to their respective areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 07:47 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
To your last sentence, you’d be right if this thread was about city as a whole of Dallas vs Houston vs Houston. However. It’s not. It’s core of Houston’s vs Atlanta vs Dallas. Regardless of city boundaries, Dallas’ core is smaller than the other two but it’s the most congruent (partly tho not entirely because it’s the smallest).
Define core

Old 02-28-2022, 03:06 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Midtown is busy, but making the top of that list seems to be about large district subareas rather than who's building the most in reality.
If it's about large subareas then Atlanta should be doing worse right? The facts are the facts and Midtown is just building more than any other southern neighborhood.

Old 02-28-2022, 04:06 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
The subareas are inconsistent. I'm sure Midtown is among the top, and it might be THE top, but this source isn't enough data to say. Miami (if in the "South") might take #1 depending how the districts are drawn.

People in LA used the same source to claim it was the fastest-growing downtown residentially but that was thoroughly debunked due to this issue. It was an entire downtown vs. other cities broken into much smaller districts.

Old 02-28-2022, 04:33 PM

71 posts, read 45,397 times
Miami is defintely building more (atleast vertical wise) than Atlanta. Miami is #1 in the south

Old 02-28-2022, 04:48 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
I'd say by 2030, Atlanta will come out on top with these 3.

Dallas and Houston won't be too far behind, but Atlanta's midtown and west of midtown areas are rapidly infilling with density and high profile projects.

Microsoft is building a campus on Atlanta's westside, which will bring a ton of development over the course of the next few years.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:20 PM

9,851 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsmiths View Post
Miami is defintely building more (atleast vertical wise) than Atlanta. Miami is #1 in the south
In all honesty, Miami has the most thin lines between ultra urban and ultra suburban in the US that I've ever seen. 90% of land mass of Metro Miami is nothing but a huge suburb with strip malls and palm trees while that last 10-15% has an urbanity unlike anything else in the southern USA.

Old 03-01-2022, 06:18 PM

390 posts, read 389,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I'd say by 2030, Atlanta will come out on top with these 3.

Dallas and Houston won't be too far behind, but Atlanta's midtown and west of midtown areas are rapidly infilling with density and high profile projects.

Microsoft is building a campus on Atlanta's westside, which will bring a ton of development over the course of the next few years.
I think Atlanta will easily be #1 , followed by Dallas and then Houston. I was cruising through midtown atl all the way to buckhead and surrounding areas and was blown away by the urbanity and still tons of big projects going up with lots of cranes. To me Urban Dallas has slowed down a bit since 2020. While Houston has tons of great big projects such as East River, Autry Park, TMC3, Levit Green, lower heights district, skanska downtown, and more, Houston still lags heavily on foot traffic and most of all the cool projects are all spaced out. Houston also isnt consstent with its urbanity. It will be a nice urban project next to an abandoned building thats next to a baby strip center and then cracked sidewalks. I do think in the future the Musuem District, Eado, and downtown will offer the most consistent urban environment. Also the Heights is my favorite neighborhood in which i think it has some of the coolest looking projects with character going up in the city

Old 03-01-2022, 07:09 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
I think people are judging the 3 cities based on narrow strips.

I think Houston and Atlanta are close overall and I'm surprised people are losing Dallas ahead of Houston.

The city of Houston just feels more alive than Dallas. There are so many projects going on in the core.

Atlanta has a nice core but it drops off quickly.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:31 PM

71 posts, read 45,397 times
I wonder if this list included Austin how it would fare? I think it would be #1. Austin already has the best downtown in texas with the most vibrancy and foot traffic. Houston, Dallas, nor Atlanta has anything like 6th st, let alone rainey st. Also unlike the 3, it has a waterfront (Houston's sh*tty brown bayou and the small flood plain that is the Trinity river in Dallas doesn't count). It's easily adding the most skyscrapers out of the 3. Also if we're talking outside the city, none of the 3 have an area like the west suburbs with Lake Travis and the beautiful hill country. Atlanta has Lake Lanier but thats an hour plus outside the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City