Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2022, 04:44 PM

390 posts, read 389,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
The streets in Houston that I'm looking forward to see what they progress into are Allen Parkway and Upper Kirby. Not that they are urban. Allen Parkway is far from urban but I like the vibe of the new developments going up and the interaction with the parks is something Houston needs more of. But it's nice to visit every few years and see how the area has changed
That area along allen parkway is turning into Houston's gold coast. Tons of activity and mixed use projects that interacts with the park lined up along the Corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 04:51 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsmiths View Post
Pretty liberal usage of the word "urban". Downtown/Midtown, okay. Buckhead is FILLED with strip malls, massive roads, poor street engagement, and once you get off the main stretch of peachtree it gets suburban quick. Sandy Springs same thing, strip mall galore. There's some urbanity sprinkled in here and there but the majority is suburban design. I do agree that the areas east of downtown containing Decatur, PCM, the beltline, O4W, Emory, and West Midtown are nice.
I actually agree with this (to a degree). But just because Buckhead is suburban and car centric doesn’t take away from its greatness. You can’t compare Lennox/Phipps to just any regional mall. Despite being very strip mall dominant, it has a much better set up than just any suburb.

Old 03-02-2022, 05:14 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,743,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I actually agree with this (to a degree). But just because Buckhead is suburban and car centric doesn’t take away from its greatness. You can’t compare Lennox/Phipps to just any regional mall. Despite being very strip mall dominant, it has a much better set up than just any suburb.
I always see Buckhead discussed as if it were a neighborhood, but it's a huge district. Lindbergh/Brookwood/Buckhead Village/Buckhead Heights are more urban (with three of these having gold or red line MARTA access) and the rest is hilly mansions and estate neighborhoods. I don't see Buckhead as being homogenous with its development.

Old 03-02-2022, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I always see Buckhead discussed as if it were a neighborhood, but it's a huge district. Lindbergh/Brookwood/Buckhead Village/Buckhead Heights are more urban (with three of these having gold or red line MARTA access) and the rest is hilly mansions and estate neighborhoods. I don't see Buckhead as being homogenous with its development.
If you would scroll up, you’d see we were specifically talking about the portions from Buckhead Village to Lennox

Old 03-02-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
If you would scroll up, you’d see we were specifically talking about the portions from Buckhead Village to Lennox. Buckhead Village has pockets that are walkable but it’s still car-parking lot-strip mall dominate. Again, I wouldn’t group Buckhead with just any suburb it’s much greater than that but it’s high density suburban more than anything.

Old 03-02-2022, 06:25 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Are the crime sprees still bad? I have not been there since covid.

Old 03-02-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Are the crime sprees still bad? I have not been there since covid.
I couldn't tell you as I've never really cared about or noticed crimes that aren't violent and targeted but the stats are out there. I grew up on the south side and there's not really a neighborhood I'm scared of in Atlanta.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:51 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
That area along allen parkway is turning into Houston's gold coast. Tons of activity and mixed use projects that interacts with the park lined up along the Corridor.
Yes. I'm thinking if I was to throw down tons of cash to live in a condo, I would rather do it along the expanse of parks instead of somewhere like Midtown or even Uptown. Plus you know your view isn't going to be obstructed. I think Houston learned the importance of greenery after the success of discovery green. Allen parkway would make for a really nice retail district.

That area north of Hermann Park is coming along nicely too. Hopefully it gets a bigger boost by the TMC expansions.

What's fascinating too is these huge tracks of land that keeps getting redeveloped into walkable mixed use. And there is still tons left to develop. There's so much real estate that will become available once they get rid of 45 and trench and cap 59. The city needs to move their offices to one of the empty buildings downtown and give up that land west of downtown for redevelopment.

Old 03-02-2022, 10:54 PM

390 posts, read 389,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Yes. I'm thinking if I was to throw down tons of cash to live in a condo, I would rather do it along the expanse of parks instead of somewhere like Midtown or even Uptown. Plus you know your view isn't going to be obstructed. I think Houston learned the importance of greenery after the success of discovery green. Allen parkway would make for a really nice retail district.

That area north of Hermann Park is coming along nicely too. Hopefully it gets a bigger boost by the TMC expansions.

What's fascinating too is these huge tracks of land that keeps getting redeveloped into walkable mixed use. And there is still tons left to develop. There's so much real estate that will become available once they get rid of 45 and trench and cap 59. The city needs to move their offices to one of the empty buildings downtown and give up that land west of downtown for redevelopment.
Yeah ecactly. Im also really liking that developers are turning those old abandoned used to be industrial sites into cool new shops, bars, restaurants, public spaces, and of course more apartments and improving infrastructure in those areas. This is really talking place in fourth ward, heights, the warehouse district, sawyer yards, Eado etc.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
If you would scroll up, you’d see we were specifically talking about the portions from Buckhead Village to Lennox. Buckhead Village has pockets that are walkable but it’s still car-parking lot-strip mall dominate. Again, I wouldn’t group Buckhead with just any suburb it’s much greater than that but it’s high density suburban more than anything.
I’m just adding my opinion about the way Buckhead is discussed on this sub, not disagreeing with what you said. I feel like people miss the mark so much when discussing Atlanta neighborhoods in general so I take any opportunity to share what these areas actually look like on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City