Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2023, 02:54 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Atlanta and Dallas are close. Probably slight edge to Atlanta. Houston has a ways to catch up.
Ha ha, a ways to catch up to where?
Houston had the more consistent density of the 3, Dallas has the least.

Atlanta and Houston has the higher peak densities, Dallas doesn't come close.
So the highest of the 3 are either Atlanta or Houston, but Dallas having the lowest peak density and least consistent density is definitely the bottom of those 3.

In terms of their respective UA:

UA Population:

Houston- 5,853,575
DFW - 5,732,354
Atlanta - 4,999,259

UA density
Houston - 3,339.8 ppsm
DFW - 3,281.5 ppsm
ATL- 2,040.1 ppsm

Last edited by atadytic19; 01-16-2023 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2023, 03:26 PM

1,347 posts, read 876,915 times
ATL is only urban in the core. Dallas seems more urban to me outside of the core.

Old 01-16-2023, 03:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
ATL is only urban in the core. Dallas seems more urban to me outside of the core.
If anything, this is opposite. Dallas probably has the most consistent core it’s just a lot smaller than the other two. DFW as a whole is the most suburban based metro of these. Atlanta is easily the most continuously urban city of these.

Old 01-16-2023, 03:37 PM

1,347 posts, read 876,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
If anything, this is opposite. Dallas probably has the most consistent core it’s just a lot smaller than the other two. DFW as a whole is the most suburban based metro of these. Atlanta is easily the most continuously urban city of these.
What do you consider urban? ATL looks like a small town in the Deep South outside of the core.

Old 01-16-2023, 03:55 PM

1,374 posts, read 923,022 times
Quote:
What do you consider urban? ATL looks like a small town in the Deep South outside of the core.
Outside of the core you have edge cities in Sandy Springs/Perimeter Center, Cumberland/The Battery, Decatur, and numerous town downtown areas of Alpharetta, Marietta, Norcross, Cumming, Peachtree Corners, Duluth, Suwanee, Sugar Hill, Lawrenceville, etc.

Old 01-16-2023, 04:45 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
Quote:
Umm... I think you have that backward. And on a metro level... Atlanta and Houston have nothing like Fort Worth next door.

Old 01-16-2023, 04:49 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
Quote:
Dallas is definitely more consistently built up. This is typically only disrupted by greenbelts throughout the area.

Old 01-16-2023, 08:45 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,614,605 times
Quote:
Atlanta is the more urban city while Houston may be the most urban metro, overall. I believe that Dallas is more continuous as one posted stated but its core feels the least urban IMO. It will be interesting moving forward.

Come to think of it, these will be the country's 4th, 5th, and 6th largest metros as well by the end of the decade.

Each city have great projects going on and I'm excited to see the cities advance and grow.

Old 01-17-2023, 02:49 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Outside of the core you have edge cities in Sandy Springs/Perimeter Center, Cumberland/The Battery, Decatur, and numerous town downtown areas of Alpharetta, Marietta, Norcross, Cumming, Peachtree Corners, Duluth, Suwanee, Sugar Hill, Lawrenceville, etc.
Atlanta’s core is more Urban based than Dallas, including the surrounding neighborhoods like Edgewood, and etc. but outside of the Core and those areas, Atlanta feels disconnected throughout its metro. It gives me a small Southern Village type of feel.

On the flip side, I feel the opposite about the DFW. I mean by comparison to Atlanta it’s MASSIVE, I mean with Fort Worth alone, I don’t think there’s anything in Atlanta’s metro that can rival it. Traveling throughout the DFW metro is much easier because like You said, it’s the most consistent. You have houses, apartments, restaurants, large company buildings, entertainment, I mean it’s endless.

For example. Plano has Downtown Plano & Legacy West, and a bunch of other large city amenities, without even having to drive to Dallas. I feel like this is the vibe across the DFW. So driving throughout the metro it feels more dense, feels more busy,

Old 01-17-2023, 10:24 AM

1,374 posts, read 923,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Atlanta’s core is more Urban based than Dallas, including the surrounding neighborhoods like Edgewood, and etc. but outside of the Core and those areas, Atlanta feels disconnected throughout its metro. It gives me a small Southern Village type of feel.

On the flip side, I feel the opposite about the DFW. I mean by comparison to Atlanta it’s MASSIVE, I mean with Fort Worth alone, I don’t think there’s anything in Atlanta’s metro that can rival it. Traveling throughout the DFW metro is much easier because like You said, it’s the most consistent. You have houses, apartments, restaurants, large company buildings, entertainment, I mean it’s endless.

For example. Plano has Downtown Plano & Legacy West, and a bunch of other large city amenities, without even having to drive to Dallas. I feel like this is the vibe across the DFW. So driving throughout the metro it feels more dense, feels more busy,
If you're saying it feels more sprawly and endless then I agree. Atlanta's core counties of Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb, Clayton, and Dekalb are the built-up areas with higher population densities and Forsyth is building up now. Outside of these areas, the other counties are very rural with low populations and small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City