U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 05:18 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,234,525 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that everyone focuses on the upper class urban experience but what about the blue collar experience? When I think of cities with large urban areas that are middle class, Philly, New Jersey, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati, east New York, cities immediately north of Boston, and south/west Chicago, come to mind. The West Coast seems devoid of large urban areas with middle class people with the exception of Los Angeles and parts of Oakland. Honorable mention to NOLA. How would you rank these cities for the size and influence of their perspective middle class urban areas have on the rest of the city?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 07:58 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,687,720 times
Portland OR feels very blue collar in parts.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:13 PM

15,897 posts, read 7,029,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
I've noticed that everyone focuses on the upper class urban experience but what about the blue collar experience? When I think of cities with large urban areas that are middle class, Philly, New Jersey, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati, east New York, cities immediately north of Boston, and south/west Chicago, come to mind. The West Coast seems devoid of large urban areas with middle class people with the exception of Los Angeles and parts of Oakland. Honorable mention to NOLA. How would you rank these cities for the size and influence of their perspective middle class urban areas have on the rest of the city?
are you talking union jobs, industrial jobs, or service jobs

any which way Baltimore is way up there. extremely blue collar

Old 01-10-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
are you talking union jobs, industrial jobs, or service jobs

any which way Baltimore is way up there. extremely blue collar
Mostly talking about solid middle class folk doesn't matter if it's a trade or a teacher, seems like the middle class has been pushed out in to the fringes. I've noticed most cities consist of people who are well off and those on government assistance, nothing in between.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:23 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,280,508 times
Every city has an "in between." Every single city. In some, they probably share an apartment, a house, whatever they can find, because living in their particular city might not be feasible, without the help of others.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:25 PM

15,897 posts, read 7,029,607 times
Quote:
Mostly talking about solid middle class folk doesn't matter if it's a trade or a teacher, seems like the middle class has been pushed out in to the fringes. I've noticed most cities consist of people who are well off and those on government assistance, nothing in between.
Yea the southern 1/3rd of Boston proper. And an but more densely populated immediately north/northeast if the city.

Most of Philadelphia.

Outer regions of Queens Brooklyn and most of staten Island , part of the Bronx

Much of SE and NE DC

Nearly all of Baltimore

Almost all of Jacksonville

70% of Worcester MA

Much of Yonkers NY

All of Orlando FL

Los Angeles

Chicago

Milwaukee

Old 01-10-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Every city has an "in between." Every single city. In some, they probably share an apartment, a house, whatever they can find, because living in their particular city might not be feasible, without the help of others.
I didn't mean literally, and FYI if you have to live with roommates or family to make ends meet I would not consider that middle class.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:52 PM

13,781 posts, read 20,687,804 times
New York: Queens, Staten Island
Chicago: Northwest Side
Philadelphia: Northeast Philadelphia, South Philadelphia (west of Broad Street)
Pittsburgh: West End, South Hills (away from downtown)
Cleveland: West Side (away from downtown)
Columbus: West Columbus
Cincinnati: West Side (away from downtown)
Indianapolis: South Side
Charlotte: West Charlotte
Louisville: South Louisville
Nashville: Northeast Nashville, Northwest Nashville
St. Louis: South St. Louis
Kansas City: Northland Kansas City, Northeast Kansas City

Old 01-10-2020, 09:26 PM

3,174 posts, read 2,294,728 times
Quote:

I think you really mean lower middle class, right? Middle class today typically means non blue collar in most cities (I think). And granted, this may not even directly mean amount of money made per year, it's more of a social thing now.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:34 PM

3,174 posts, read 2,294,728 times
Quote:

I think you really mean lower middle class, right? Middle class today typically means non blue collar in most cities (I think). And granted, this may not even directly mean amount of money made per year, it's more of a social thing now. Middle class in most major metros means you live in either a young urban enclave or a nice suburban area with good schools. But I think a lot of blue collar people live in the less trendy areas, probably with average schools. I'm makning this distinction because I think of upper class as the rich, which are definitely apart from middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>