Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro is more liveable for families?
Metro Boston 44 41.90%
Metro Chicago 61 58.10%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 08:37 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Skiing, if that's what we are calling it, in Wisconsin is probably not even worth the gas.
It depends on your level of skiing or if you are a parent teaching one of your kids how to ski. That's besides the point. Within an hour of Chicago there are places to ski. To say otherwise is completely false. I dont care if its 700 ft vertical. You can still do it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 08:37 AM

817 posts, read 598,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
If someone wants to drive 3 hours to ski in Vermont, where do they find the time? It's interesting that they have time for that, given the fact that someone said in a previous post, that people don't have time to get away to visit popular tourist areas near Boston, as their kids' schedules don't allow taking the time to do so (kids are too involved in activities).
I seriously doubt that Boston kids are significantly more overinvolved than Chicago kids, except for the kids on Chicago's west and south sides who have probably never left Chicagoland let alone gone on a ski vacation.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:40 AM

817 posts, read 598,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It depends on your level of skiing or if you are a parent teaching one of your kids how to ski. That's besides the point. Within an hour of Chicago there are places to ski. To say otherwise is completely false. I dont care if its 700 ft vertical. You can still do it there.
Of course there are ski hills/mounds/stumps close to Chicago. I'm just saying that I'm sure I'd be able to count on one hand the number of Chicago families for whom that's a really big deal.

Comparing outdoor access in Boston vs Chicago is absolutely ludicrous.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:43 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Seriously, if skiing is that important, I'd recommend moving to Colorado, Utah, or Wyoming. My choice would be Chicago, between these two cities. Aside from skiing, my money gets me more, I love the city, and Chicago's suburbs are hard to beat. I think some who live in Boston, have a smug superiority thing going on, which isn't very appealing.
The smug superiority thing is pretty emblematic/defining of the wealthier residents of the Boston region-that’s pretty well known. You have to take that into consideration when moving there and in QOL considerations.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
I seriously doubt that Boston kids are significantly more overinvolved than Chicago kids, except for the kids on Chicago's west and south sides who have probably never left Chicagoland let alone gone on a ski vacation.
Lotta kids (and adults) in both regions who’ve never left the region and most in both regions have probably never gone in a ski vacation-not unique to Chicago. The smugness is unbearable people...

Old 01-15-2020, 08:52 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Lotta kids (and adults) in both regions who’ve never left the region and most in both regions have probably never gone in a ski vacation-not unique to Chicago. The smugness is unbearable people...
Agree. People act like tons of people are doing this every weekend. My boss is an avid skier, living in Westchester County north of NYC and even he doesnt get to go on weekend skiing trips more than 4 or 5 times per year. I have friends here who do weekend trips to Poconos and what not but it's not all the time. It's a handful of times per year. I think some people here aren't living in reality
The majority of normal people do a weekend trip near their home a few or handful of times per year, not every other weekend.

When I grew up in Minnesota, many of my friends' parents owned cabins within about 3 hours drive that can be used year round. It was a one weekend a month thing for them even owning property, not every week and not even every other week.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Agree. People act like tons of people are doing this every weekend. My boss is an avid skier, living in Westchester County north of NYC and even he doesnt get to go on weekend skiing trips more than 4 or 5 times per year. I have friends here who do weekend trips to Poconos and what not but it's not all the time. It's a handful of times per year. I think some people here aren't living in reality
The majority of normal people do a weekend trip near their home a few or handful of times per year, not every other weekend.

When I grew up in Minnesota, many of my friends' parents owned cabins within about 3 hours drive that can be used year round. It was a one weekend a month thing for them even owning property, not every week and not even every other week.
the unnceccessary jabs at the south and west side of chicago-as if the boston area is devoid of lower middle class areas or poverty- are also very telling.

I grew up in the city Boston and went skiing like once every year or two. Probably 95-98% of kids in the city didn't even know where i went to go skiing. Some adults knew the little mound with a '3-400 elevation right outside the city and a quarter mile from I-93... but most didn't know that that little slope even offered skiing. People just knew skiing was somewherein NH/VT

Old 01-15-2020, 08:57 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
the unnceccessary jabs at the south and west side of chicago-as if the boston area is devoid of lower middle class areas or poverty- are also very telling.
Very true....we all saw Good Will Hunting.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:57 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Metro Boston has more things to do and a better job market. The towns are more family oriented, and education is #1.

Living in Greater Boston you are in close proximity to the Cape, NH Mountains, Coastal towns of Gloucester, Rockport, Salem, Ipswich, and more.

For me, Chicago is too flat and boring but it does make up in COL and finance industry.
Metro Boston has "more things to do"? That's a wild claim, and one I would say would be absolutely false. Better job market? Once again, a daring/debatable claim. Chicago is on a whole other level compared to Boston, and with a much bigger suburban region.

Chicagoland might be "flat" in areas, but its not totally flat. And its within 2 hrs of very hilly terrain should one need to get out and explore.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Very true....we all saw Good Will Hunting.
Good Will Hunting isn't even a reality anymore. The vast majority of kids in Boston are low income black/hispanic kids and immigrants (75-80%) just like in chicago-the nonsensical propaganda must cease. I hate going on to a thread with Boston and seeing the arrogance, its so disingenuous and disconnected sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City