Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro is more liveable for families?
Metro Boston 44 41.90%
Metro Chicago 61 58.10%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 08:32 AM

817 posts, read 597,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
You really don't know Chicago. I don't believe for a second you have ever lived close to here, especially with your statement of the "entire south and west sides". Your past post stating you lived in Colorado and are an ex pat are probably more accurate. Most crime is relegated to a few neighborhoods, Englewood, Marquette Park, Austin, which the main ones, not "over half the city". There are vast parts of the south side, Beverly, Morgan Park, Bridgeport, Hyde Park, Kenwood, which are in fact desireable places to live. So too with the west side of Chicago- Logan Square, the west loop, which are gentrifying. No one is saying 500 murders are fine, but the murders in these neighborhoods are far, far removed from the daily life of most Chicagoans because of the vast size of the metro area. If you ever lived here you would know and understand that fact.

Mattapan, Dorchester and Roxbury are far closer to suburbs- Milton, Randolph etc. than the Chicago problem areas are. No one runs from the truth of the city; Chicago is addressing its problem and has its murder rate and number drop for the last three years. It's murder rate is far below many cities now, including Washington D.C..

Most of your comments are passive aggressive swipes at the city. I lived in Boston, and my mother's family is from there. It is just a harder place to live.
By the way, literally soon after you posted this Logan Square had a drive-by shooting that wounded and thankfully did not kill the victim. Not exactly "far, far removed" from gun violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Empirically false. there were 490 last year and 762 in 2016.

25 murders so far this year put it on trackfor about 490 homicides.Again.

Mentioning crime rates from a decade ago is meant to show that crime rates can decrease dramatically-quickly and don't spell doom for Chicago.

YOu only mention the densest municipalities and its still wouldnt be 225 square miles, not even close. NOr would it be 12,000 people per square mile. Maybe out to 140 square miles. Maybe.

Chicago's 2019 homicide rate of 18.1 per 100k is similar to 2018 data (the most recent widely avaialable) Louisville, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Oakland, Tulsa, Indianapolis, Cincinnati and below Philadelphia and Washington DC. In other words it's a little above average for a large US city but nothing astronomical.
Unfortunately 25 murders at this point puts Chicago closer to where it was in 2016-2018 than last year (when it was at 18). So that wpuld be 600 to 700 murders. Which is, of course, horrifying .

Old 01-22-2020, 08:40 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
By the way, literally soon after you posted this Logan Square had a drive-by shooting that wounded and thankfully did not kill the victim. Not exactly "far, far removed" from gun violence.
You need a life.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:49 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
There were less than 500 last year. BTW the weather this year in Chicago has been actually very nice, as opposed to the Polar Vortex last year. Chicago does have 25, far too many, but others, like Philadelphia now at 31, are out of control and have been trending up, as has Washington and Baltimore. Chicago has been trending down for the past 3 years.

I am so sick of the Boston holier than thou folks on this thread. Like Born in Boston, I have a family history in Boston which, even now as a successful professional, affects to a small degree how I view things. My grandparents lived in Dorchester, and my grandfather owned a small grocery store on the Roxbury/Dorchester border. He was left for dead twice, and my grandmother, a stubborn woman, was a prisoner in her own double decker. I have been back, and lived in Brookline for work and to be with family. Dorchester has not changed all that much, only the housing prices have, and these prices are criminal for where lower income people have to live and survive.

Murder is unacceptable. So is a lack of affordable housing. In the Chicago area there are enormous areas where you can dodge crime. In Boston, there are very few areas you can dodge unaffordable housing that in some cases is substandard. Chicago is much better for a family with a regular income who wants a regular life.

BTW-I was moved by Born in Boston's Hyde Park story. For anyone to question whether he is from Boston, as has been done in this post, is outrageous just to win an argument or point.
I just want to say my intention wasn’t to “move” anyone with my post detailing crime. Although I appreciate that my posts did that for you. I understand the crime post was dramatic and heavy but really it’s just matter of fact and fact of life for about 250k+ Bostonians. I don’t think anything is I wrote particularly unique. My point is just don’t wash Boston hands clean of crime like it’s not very real and doesn’t affect tons of people and Chicago is the only one dealing with these issues in some twisted attempt to win an argument by disparaging Chicago when Boston has 900+ unsolved murders on the books in a 12square mile area of the city [DRM].

As for anyone doubting I’m from Bsoton I couldn’t make that stuff up if I tried. There’s evidence of most of what I said online and easily accessible. I’m just painting a picture of what life I really like, in modern times for a huge share of Bostonian families.

Dorchester and Roxbury are the city’s two most populous neighborhoods accounting for about 180k people alone. You can’t write that off especially when you add Mattapan and Hyde Park that’s where a lion share (plurality) of the city’s FAMILIES actually live...

People are on her posting about how horrible the crime is for people in Chicago but don't actually give a damn about or understand how crime impact people in either city. Its disingenuous, extremely over simplistic and clearly being used just to win an argument. At very least you should look at black homicide rate in each city over the past 3/4 years and then talk since it doesn't really affect whites in either city. In 2018 not a single white person was killed in Boston. Not one. I think 2019 had 1.

I’d also agree Dorchester fundamentally hasn’t changed all that much. Still a predominately POC but diverse neighborhood, with crime issues, lots of affordable/subsidized housing, high poverty and very few (if any) high end retailers or even retail aimed at the middle class. Big news is in Fields Corner a Target is being built out but it’s about to lose a grocery store next door to it.

Yesterday in Dorchester:
“ WBZ reports a guy walked into Ngoc Lloi Jewelry, 1391 Dorchester Ave. in Fields Corner, Monday night, asked to see some jewelry, then took out a hammer and smashed a jewelry case and helped himself to about $50,000 in jewelry.” https://www.universalhub.com/crime/2...ed-hammerpoint

Past 4 days: (mind you, this is what one dedicated guy with a dispatch reports. He’s blind half the time and I’m just choosing Dorchester alone- here’s a Boston.com profile on the man, for validity’s sake Stan Staco - Boston People - boston.com)
DORCHESTER
Draper St (near Westville St)
shots fired, casings recovered, unkn if Vic down, BPD handling #648pm (@stacos, twitter)

A found dead body in dorchester, BPD rolling sprvr/detectives to that scene

(Premium followers, see @staco_s for details)

DORCHESTER
shots fired heard, lotsa 911 calls
Washington St near Harvard Av
BPD enr to check #336am

"ya'll heard them or nah..?"

Washington St (UPDATE)
house door/window hit with gunfire in the area,
no humans found down

Crimescene being set

DORCHESTER
armed robbery just went down, susp has a pistol
Wentworth St (near Torrey St)
lotsa o' BPD pushing
#300am

DORCHESTER: gun shot detected by #shotspotter, 300 blk of Talbot Ave, BPD rolling out, no 911 calls
#1029pm

A store robbery in dorchester just popped up

Keep in mind this is a very low crime period in Dorchester. These past ~18 months.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
You need a life.
And in Chicago I would need to work real hard to keep it, it seems.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:28 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
And in Chicago I would need to work real hard to keep it, it seems.
Oh please. I lived in Chicago, when crime rates were much higher than now (about 18 years ago), and there was nothing to worry about if you didn't go looking for problems. The hyperbole here is ridiculous.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh please. I lived in Chicago, when crime rates were much higher than now (about 18 years ago), and there was nothing to worry about if you didn't go looking for problems. The hyperbole here is ridiculous.
That was a joke. But Chicago's incredible violence is not.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:41 AM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I just want to say my intention wasn’t to “move” anyone with my post detailing crime. Although I appreciate that my posts did that for you. I understand the crime post was dramatic and heavy but really it’s just matter of fact and fact of life for about 250k+ Bostonians. I don’t think anything is I wrote particularly unique. My point is just don’t wash Boston hands clean of crime like it’s not very real and doesn’t affect tons of people and Chicago is the only one dealing with these issues in some twisted attempt to win an argument by disparaging Chicago when Boston has 900+ unsolved murders on the books in a 12square mile area of the city [DRM].

As for anyone doubting I’m from Bsoton I couldn’t make that stuff up if I tried. There’s evidence of most of what I said online and easily accessible. I’m just painting a picture of what life I really like, in modern times for a huge share of Bostonian families.

Dorchester and Roxbury are the city’s two most populous neighborhoods accounting for about 180k people alone. You can’t write that off especially when you add Mattapan and Hyde Park that’s where a lion share (plurality) of the city’s FAMILIES actually live...

People are on her posting about how horrible the crime is for people in Chicago but don't actually give a damn about or understand how crime impact people in either city. Its disingenuous, extremely over simplistic and clearly being used just to win an argument. At very least you should look at black homicide rate in each city over the past 3/4 years and then talk since it doesn't really affect whites in either city. In 2018 not a single white person was killed in Boston. Not one. I think 2019 had 1.

I’d also agree Dorchester fundamentally hasn’t changed all that much. Still a predominately POC but diverse neighborhood, with crime issues, lots of affordable/subsidized housing, high poverty and very few (if any) high end retailers or even retail aimed at the middle class. Big news is in Fields Corner a Target is being built out but it’s about to lose a grocery store next door to it.

Yesterday in Dorchester:
“ WBZ reports a guy walked into Ngoc Lloi Jewelry, 1391 Dorchester Ave. in Fields Corner, Monday night, asked to see some jewelry, then took out a hammer and smashed a jewelry case and helped himself to about $50,000 in jewelry.” https://www.universalhub.com/crime/2...ed-hammerpoint

Past 4 days: (mind you, this is what one dedicated guy with a dispatch reports. He’s blind half the time and I’m just choosing Dorchester alone- here’s a Boston.com profile on the man, for validity’s sake Stan Staco - Boston People - boston.com)
DORCHESTER
Draper St (near Westville St)
shots fired, casings recovered, unkn if Vic down, BPD handling #648pm (@stacos, twitter)

A found dead body in dorchester, BPD rolling sprvr/detectives to that scene

DORCHESTER
shots fired heard, lotsa 911 calls
Washington St near Harvard Av
BPD enr to check #336am

"ya'll heard them or nah..?"

Washington St (UPDATE)
house door/window hit with gunfire in the area,
no humans found down

Crimescene being set

DORCHESTER
armed robbery just went down, susp has a pistol
Wentworth St (near Torrey St)
lotsa o' BPD pushing
#300am

DORCHESTER: gun shot detected by #shotspotter, 300 blk of Talbot Ave, BPD rolling out, no 911 calls
#1029pm

A store robbery in dorchester just popped up

Keep in mind this is a very low crime period in Dorchester. These past ~18 months.
Boston can do more for its higher crime areas decreasing crime and improving income inequality..absolutely...all north side chicagoans do is talk about how easy you can “avoid” high crime areas..how you wouldn’t know on the surface..on one hand you talk about problems Boston area needs to address (income inequality, crime in south Boston neighborhoods) while at the same time rationalizing 490 homicides in 225 sq miles as..oh “it’s not that bad.” There aren’t 490 countable homicides from Bangor Maine to the Maryland border..these are all people all families we are talking about..should there not be more outrage from northern chicagoans (who likely have never stepped foot in Garfield Park) as opposed to rationalizations

Old 01-22-2020, 09:53 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
That was a joke. But Chicago's incredible violence is not.
LOL, how do you expect to be taken seriously, with such a bias?? I lived in Chicago, have many friends in Chicago, and none, I repeat NONE of them, have had an issue with violence. You know that's highly probable as well, you're just trying to convince people that wherever you are in Chicago, you're likely to get shot. We aren't falling for it.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:59 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Boston can do more for its higher crime areas decreasing crime and improving income inequality..absolutely...all north side chicagoans do is talk about how easy you can “avoid” high crime areas..how you wouldn’t know on the surface..on one hand you talk about problems Boston area needs to address (income inequality, crime in south Boston neighborhoods) while at the same time rationalizing 490 homicides in 225 sq miles as..oh “it’s not that bad.” There aren’t 490 countable homicides from Bangor Maine to the Maryland border..these are all people all families we are talking about..should there not be more outrage from northern chicagoans (who likely have never stepped foot in Garfield Park) as opposed to rationalizations
of course! but no one is really here to advocate for the victims. It's just a talking point to dump on Chicago.

And yes you could easily and immediately tabulate 490 homicides from Bangor to Maryland border. 170 in MA, 290 in NYC alone. That's like 470 right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City