Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro is more liveable for families?
Metro Boston 44 41.90%
Metro Chicago 61 58.10%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 01:46 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Dave, I honestly don't know what you're talking about.
I could ask why you see the thread degraded to the point you ask it to be shut down? Also we know same people posting generally give the same opinions.

Clearly, you realize Chicago wins threads today it once never did. These were my simple points. Chicago was behind in the poll and now it isn't here.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 01:47 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Great. But why? Or is it just the affordability?
Well, a larger % of the country prefers Chicago as a city to Boston as a city. Or, Chicago as a city to almost any American city, for that matter.

As for the metro, and on top of affordability, I'd assume people prefer the easier access to the city, the fact that there are far more suburbs to choose from, the midwestern/neighborly hospitality, and being in a central hub which bring together a very transient domestic population that most Boston area suburbs don't see.

Old 01-13-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I could ask why you see the thread degraded to the point you ask it to be shut down? Also we know same propel posting generally give the same opinions.

Clearly, you realize Chicago wins threads today it once never did. These were my simple points. Chicago was behind in the poll and now it isn't here.....
I asked the Boston posters to "shut it down", as in, stop debating the Cambridge/Somerville point. Not to shut down the thread.

As for Boston and Chicago, winning and losing, etc. Again, I don't know what you're saying. What does asking the Bostonians to stop a specific subconversation have to do with winning the poll?

Old 01-13-2020, 02:01 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
I asked the Boston posters to "shut it down", as in, stop debating the Cambridge/Somerville point. Not to shut down the thread.

As for Boston and Chicago, winning and losing, etc. Again, I don't know what you're saying. What does asking the Bostonians to stop a specific subconversation have to do with winning the poll?
The poll isn't on Boston adding a couple areas just outside its smaller city-limits.

The point of the same posters bringing up the same points here.... as who many expand Boston proper with these same areas will continue. Public schools are what hurt our larger cites for families. I don't read high reviews of Boston's or overall Chicago's. That's a huge factor in families staying in the city today.

No use me continuing more. I think others coming in now. So I'm none with nonsense I guess. Nothing against you though. You are a great poster.....

Old 01-13-2020, 02:01 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Great. But why? Or is it just the affordability?
The city, the vibe, all of it. Chicago is loved, by many who choose to live there.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:16 PM

1,393 posts, read 861,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Because many people must prefer Chicago...it's kind of, a little bigger.
The city is bigger yes and Chicago is a great city...i don’t have to stop at the city boundaries though..the Boston area offers more in close proximity...Chicago offers .. Chicago

Last edited by Ne999; 01-13-2020 at 02:25 PM..

Old 01-13-2020, 02:18 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
The city is bigger yes...i don’t have to stop at the city boundaries...the Boston area offers more in close proximity
Doesn't change which city I like better. We can disagree.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:20 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:

All of your comments have been fair, balanced, and on point. DavePA takes every thread/post related to Chicago very personal for some odd reason.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:37 PM

1,393 posts, read 861,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Doesn't change which city I like better. We can disagree.
Im not comparing cities..I enjoy both..as a city alone Chicago offers more from standpoint of amenities...I prefer being close to legit mountains to snowboard 4000 ft, open ocean, the islands for a “staycation” and a drive to nyc after work for a late dinner...if I didn’t care much for these aspects of eastern seaboard I’d be perfectly happy in Chicago

Old 01-13-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
The city is bigger yes and Chicago is a great city...i don’t have to stop at the city boundaries though..the Boston area offers more in close proximity...Chicago offers .. Chicago
I mean, the suburbs in Chicago are pretty fantastic. But, I'm assuming you meant that in your statement, and are referring more to the surrounding areas for weekend trips, vacations, etc.

To that I would say, you are correct. Western Michigan is nice, and some of the lakes in Northern IL/Geneva are a decent getaway.. Certainly not Cape Cod and the Islands, or the Whites, or Maine's coast.

I made reference to how I miss/missed each of these areas when we lived away. The thing I miss most about Massachusetts are the trips to Newport, the one night stays in Portland, waterfall chasing in VT.. I think anyone who has lived in Massachusetts will sound deeply romantic when talking about the abundance of nature and beauty. It's very real. Even within 30 miles of Boston, there are so many beaches, inlets, lakes, bucolic towns, beautiful towns commons and main streets to explore.

But, some people don't really care, and frankly, I'd say most people in Illinois don't. That's why see you such a focus on local festivals, block parties, town pools, trips into the city. Look no further than Chicago's weekend festival lineup, which hosts an all weekend party in a different neighborhood every single week in the summer. And if folks in Illinois want nature, they feel like they can just fly to Colorado. So while I do agree with you, it's truly just a different culture. More of a "hey, it's nice out, let's get together" thing going on as opposed to Mass, where it's a "hey, it's nice out, hot out, cold out, let's go to your vacation house, or lets rent a house on Nantucket, or let's go skiing at Jay's Peak". Now, it's not to say folks in Mass don't appreciate a good festival, or that people in Illinois don't have vacation houses- but I do think there's a far greater emphasis on local travel and nature amongst Massachusetts residents, and a far greater emphasis on socializing locally in IL.

Last edited by mwj119; 01-13-2020 at 03:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City