Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 01:12 PM

99 posts, read 116,948 times

Advertisements

Alpharetta, Ga
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 01:15 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
It predates Baltimore and is about a century older than DC so it's very much its "own" place in the sense of culture.

It's considered a satellite city now because it's the sole link between the DC-Baltimore metro and eastern shore, so it's highly economically tied to them.
I'd say Annapolis is the very definition of a satellite city. Age or even culture aren't determining factors in any definition I've ever seen. It's a semi-independent city that would function on its own outside of the metro area, but has some cross-commuting because of the proximity to the larger urban area(s) nearby. That's a satellite city down to the letter. And I would definitely put Annapolis on any list of Satellite cities with great personality, charm, and character.

Locally, these are my favorite satellite cities:

Salem, MA
Newport, RI
Portsmouth, NH

Old 01-15-2020, 04:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'd say Annapolis is the very definition of a satellite city. Age or even culture aren't determining factors in any definition I've ever seen. It's a semi-independent city that would function on its own outside of the metro area, but has some cross-commuting because of the proximity to the larger urban area(s) nearby. That's a satellite city down to the letter. And I would definitely put Annapolis on any list of Satellite cities with great personality, charm, and character.

Locally, these are my favorite satellite cities:

Salem, MA
Newport, RI
Portsmouth, NH
Annapolis is the state capital. It has its own "industry".

Several Denver suburbs are also county seats, giving them an industry as well; Brighton, Littleton, Castle Rock, Golden and Boulder, going clockwise around the city. Denver is the state capital of Colorado and in its own county.

Old 01-15-2020, 05:42 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights and Lakewood; Gates Mills, Hunting Valley, Moreland Hills and Chagrin Falls; all outside Cleveland.

Sausalito, SF

Pasadena, Hermosa Beach, LA

Alexandria, D.C.

Ardmore, Media, Doylestown, Chestnut Hill and Manayunk, Philadelphia (OK, the latter 2 are within the city limits, but they're at the edges of the city and are so unique and distinctive, they're like satellite cities).

Old 01-15-2020, 09:27 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Annapolis is the state capital. It has its own "industry".

Several Denver suburbs are also county seats, giving them an industry as well; Brighton, Littleton, Castle Rock, Golden and Boulder, going clockwise around the city. Denver is the state capital of Colorado and in its own county.
I used to work in Annapolis, yes it has its own industry in state government but its economy is massively fueled by the presence of DC & Baltimore, which is a requirement for a satellite city.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:50 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times
Inevitably, virtually all these suburbs are pre-WWII suburbs. Usually inner ring suburbs, too.

How about some entirely post-WWII suburbs? Any charm among them, or did suburban charm end with WWII?

Old 01-15-2020, 09:59 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Inevitably, virtually all these suburbs are pre-WWII suburbs. Usually inner ring suburbs, too.

How about some entirely post-WWII suburbs? Any charm among them, or did suburban charm end with WWII?
....I'm going to go on a limb and probably say no.

Most of the satellite cities that have developed post WWII (I'm looking at you Tysons & Bethesda) are glorified office parks or TOD developments for the wealthy so they can have an urban experience without having to live in the city proper where social classes intermingle.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:55 AM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
West Hartford? It’s kinda, technically a post-wwii suburb, even if it’s history goes back further.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:21 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
West Hartford? It’s kinda, technically a post-wwii suburb, even if it’s history goes back further.
In the Hartford area I'd nominate Wethersfield, Farmington, New Britain, Manchester and Middletown before West Hartford. The latter is certainly a very nice suburb with good schools and some diversity and a lively downtown area. But character, charm? Not compared to Wethersfield where the historic buildings and landscapes recall the original Connecticut colony settlement. New Britain and Manchester are kinda scruffy but have personalities and NB has a really good art museum besides. Middletown is on a beautiful stretch of Conn River, has Wesleyan Univ and a thriving main street. Farmington has a gorgeous historic town center and location along the Farmington River plus the estimable Hill Stead museum.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:26 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Id like to add:

Mt. Dora, FL
Sedona, AZ
Mystic, CT
Northampton, MA
Westerley, RI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City