Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most impressive construction boom?
Miami 20 14.93%
New York 36 26.87%
Seattle 27 20.15%
Toronto 51 38.06%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 05:50 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times

Advertisements

Good post...there is speculation that Virgin has another motive for its higher speed rail—to give people another option to connect to its soon to be launched Virgin Voyages cruise line out of Miami. Curious to see your list of world class cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Economy is evaluated through a select number of categories. There is size (number of people employed), value (GDP), health (unemployment rate), and per person productivity (per capita).

The Miami/Fort Lauderdale MSA and the Toronto CMA have comparable population bases. Around the same size, Miami MSA is 6.2 million people whereas Toronto CMA is likely around 6.3 million people in 2018. They employ around the same number of people in their labor force, have around the same size GDP ranging from $355 Billion to $380 Billion, have nearly equal per capita productivity (both fall between $55,000 to $59,000 USD), and Miami has a lower unemployment rate (5.9% in Toronto CMA versus 2.7% in Miami/Fort Lauderdale MSA).

Sources:

1. https://www.cans.ns.ca/news-statisti...tan-area-2016/

2. https://www.ontario.ca/document/onta...ary-march-2019

3. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_in_Canada

4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_areas

5. https://www.bea.gov/data/gdp/gdp-cou...nd-other-areas

7. https://www.cans.ns.ca/news-statisti...tan-area-2016/

8. https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laulrgma.htm

Other than unemployment rate, the other categories are nearly mirror images of one another.

Brightline is not public transportation. It should never be compared to any city's public transportation system. Brightline, or as it is known now, Virgin Trains, is inter-city passenger service higher-speed rail, not public transportation. It is owned and operated by the private industry not by local, state/provincial, or federal government authorities.

It is higher-speed rail, which is just one peg lower than high-speed rail and two pegs lower than maglev, and the only other system like it in Canada and United States currently in operation is the Acela service in the Northeast Corridor (also higher-speed rail). Higher-speed rail service operates between 90 miles per hour to 140 miles per hour, this system will operate at 125 miles per hour from Southeast Florida to Greater Orlando once the Orlando extension is completed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher-speed_rail

Toronto beats Miami in public transportation, both current and planned, but inter-city passenger rail is another matter entirely and until Toronto gets a system of its own, Miami/Fort Lauderdale will stay ahead in this arena. Virgin Trains is also moving forward with their expansion to Orlando and then eventually to the Tampa Bay Area. When completed, it will have connected the backbone to Florida's economy together and three of America's fastest growing metropolitan regions. Florida's economy is above $1 Trillion USD, worldwide there are only 14-16 countries in total with economies of comparable or larger size.

My own qualifications to "world class cities" is far more stringent than most other people. From my viewpoint, there are roughly about 6-10 world class cities in the world. Even 10 feels like it's too generous.

I feel like people disrespect the idea of "world class" by cheapening the concept. Not pointing any fingers at you but I'm just saying people in general.

I think of "world class cities" as the absolute best in the world. The highest rung that there is where flaws and vulnerabilities, if they exist, are masked well by an extensive list of strengths. Places where their importance and impact is absolute to the world at-large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 09:50 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystreets89 View Post
When you can pour your entire economy into a few cities and limit sprawl you get Toronto, it's not impressive when you realize the parameters. What NYC is doing is redefining a fully developed city with no room to spare and nearly keeping pace with Toronto, which is impressive in it's own right. I'm not egging Toronto at all but to many on here the polls parameters are perfectly tailored to Toronto winning, which is why I believe it doesn't belong in the poll.
It's not "nearly keeping pace." It is building more, taller and of higher quality than Toronto.

Just want to correct the record since everyone here is circle jerking over Toronto's 30 story condo buildings while pretending New York didn't build 17 supertalls since 2009.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:59 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
So you want to make the poll American centric because Canada has fewer major cities? Who cares! it's still growing faster than any city outside Dallas (population-wise). Plus all cities in Canada are seeing massive growth, just that Toronto is on steroids. And again, it has been growing like this for what? four decades now? The Toronto growth is impressive, except on CD for some reason. It's not every day you have a city in North America growing the way Toronto is. High population rates, transit, culturally, millions upon millions of sq ft of office space, highrises, companies moving into the city, etc... I bet you if Toronto was an American city, everyone would be circle-jerking around it on here. And yes, the current boom going on right now is more impressive than NYC, considering that the city keeps losing people and is on the verge of bankruptcy. It's fine that another city has a more impressive boom than NYC, it doesn't diminish the importance of NYC.
It's amazing what you can accomplish with world-class household debt!

Everybody give a standing ovation to the Torontonians. A housing bubble fueled by massive household debt and a population ponzi scheme that depends on neverending Asian immigrants. Congratulations folks!

Old 01-20-2020, 10:09 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
It's amazing what you can accomplish with world-class household debt!

Everybody give a standing ovation to the Torontonians. A housing bubble fueled by massive household debt and a population ponzi scheme that depends on neverending Asian immigrants. Congratulations folks!
Interesting. Honestly, Toronto boosters have soooo have so made Toronto not even appealing, at least, to me. Too much boosting and boasting, is the biggest turn-off.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:07 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Interesting. Honestly, Toronto boosters have soooo have so made Toronto not even appealing, at least, to me. Too much boosting and boasting, is the biggest turn-off.
Because deep inside, they know even though Toronto has grown into a rather impressive city, it still won't have the culture, history, and soul of cities like NYC, Chicago, and SF.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:52 AM

293 posts, read 245,887 times
LOL, we are switching to history and culture now?

Tomorrow we'll be talking about how Toronto is not a real city because there is no NFL team.

This is beyond pathetic.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:43 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAROD View Post
Miami feels like a village compared to Toronto, I was there 6 months ago.

Though I like what they've done to the Brickell area.
When post like this you do ..... expect some playing ball thrown back too. The thread basically had its run.

But I can't believe you missed this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
For the record, I think Toronto is a very ugly city. I was just responding based on what this thread is about: growth.
We also need - Mr Burns (ID) back...... and another I remember.

Thread is well on its way like this one and others .....

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...-montr-46.html

I'm sure you will agree with the final post of that thread before it was closed ......

Last edited by DavePa; 01-21-2020 at 07:52 AM..

Old 01-21-2020, 08:01 AM

30 posts, read 17,447 times
Pretty soon we'll be hearing about Canadian ghost cities if they keep building towers at their current pace, unless they feel like becoming an Asian majority country.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:22 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
NYC by sheer volume, Toronto by % change.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:26 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
So you want to make the poll American centric because Canada has fewer major cities? Who cares! it's still growing faster than any city outside Dallas (population-wise). Plus all cities in Canada are seeing massive growth, just that Toronto is on steroids. And again, it has been growing like this for what? four decades now? The Toronto growth is impressive, except on CD for some reason. It's not every day you have a city in North America growing the way Toronto is. High population rates, transit, culturally, millions upon millions of sq ft of office space, highrises, companies moving into the city, etc... I bet you if Toronto was an American city, everyone would be circle-jerking around it on here. And yes, the current boom going on right now is more impressive than NYC, considering that the city keeps losing people and is on the verge of bankruptcy. It's fine that another city has a more impressive boom than NYC, it doesn't diminish the importance of NYC.
The things one "learns" on some of these threads. Is there anything in this post that resembles reality?

Is there something in the water in Toronto, or something? What is with all the wacky Toronto boosterism on C-D? Is it an inferiority complex or something?

Toronto's economy is barely bigger than that of Detroit or Seattle, and here they are claiming they even top NYC. Funny stuff! Toronto is a fine city, fast growing and gaining importance, but still pretty minor in the global realm, and little known outside of Canada. It's booming because Canada is the most pro-immigration first world country, and the other major city is French-speaking, so all the immigrants come to Toronto. But that's it. If it weren't for immigration Toronto would basically be a random, anonymous Great Lakes city. Toronto doesn't have the cultural heft of Cleveland or St. Louis, even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City