Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most impressive construction boom?
Miami 20 14.93%
New York 36 26.87%
Seattle 27 20.15%
Toronto 51 38.06%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 06:47 PM

444 posts, read 283,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
How are we measuring the boom?

New York City by sheer numbers still ahead of the bunch due to the massive size and construction spread across several boroughs. Even with Torontos boom, its still surpassed by New York. I can think of 30ish towers under construction in Manhattan alone.

Or are we looking at this from a simple metric of which city is overall changing the most?
regarding current construction:
Toronto has 202 Highrises under-construction right now (100 over 100m)
NYC has 112 highrises under-construction (72 over 100m)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This. Canada's "economic growth" is basically a ponzi scheme of incentivizing massive Asian immigration and resource extraction. There is very little innovation or wealth-building generated by Canada. There are no great universities, no innovation clusters, no disruptive startups.

Of course, Canada has many, many positive attributes, and does many things better than the U.S. But its "growth" is a house of cards. It might be the biggest property bubble on the planet, with low wages, extreme housing costs, and a flood of Chinese/Indian immigrants keeping everything intact.

If the U.S. ever liberalized immigration policy to match Canadian levels, Canada would be in deep recession within a year. They're basically benefiting from the fact that the U.S. is in a nativist phase, so immigrants come to Canada instead.
No matter how many immigrants the US takes in Canada with still be taking around 350,000 immigrants a year. US immigration policy has no effects on how many people Canada accepts a year.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:56 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
No matter how many immigrants the US takes in Canada with still be taking around 350,000 immigrants a year. US immigration policy has no effects on how many people Canada accepts a year.
So, Canada is better, I guess.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:01 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
I’m in Miami right now, and while still busy, crowded, and traffic filled there seems to be a noticeable decline in the number of cranes dotting the skyline, as opposed to when I was last here in 2016. Not sure if I’m looking in the right places.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:05 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
regarding current construction:
Toronto has 202 Highrises under-construction right now (100 over 100m)
NYC has 112 highrises under-construction (72 over 100m)
Not sure it's just all about how many, but impressive as well. The most impressive boom as the thread title say, so not about the most or just about the most, but also how impressive the structures in that boom.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
So, Canada is better, I guess.
I don't know why you think US immgration policy has any effect on Canadian immigration policy. Every year Ottawa and Quebec set the number of immigrants that will be allowed to come to Canada. the amount the US lets in will not change the numbers Canada brings in. For Canada the numbers have been around 300,000 for decades now.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:28 PM

626 posts, read 464,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I’m in Miami right now, and while still busy, crowded, and traffic filled there seems to be a noticeable decline in the number of cranes dotting the skyline, as opposed to when I was last here in 2016. Not sure if I’m looking in the right places.

The website below is by far the most up to date and complete source for building information in the entire world. This list shows all the metro areas that have the most skyscrapers (150+ meters) currently under construction in the United States as we speak. I urge you to try to find a building currently under construction that's over 150 meters and not on this list. After all the booms the Miami area has already been through it's still going super strong. Also that Miami number includes only one skyscraper outside of Miami-Dade County, with the vast majority actually in Miami city proper (Ft. Lauderdale has 1 out of 15). Pretty amazing for such a small land area.

NYC ----------- 31
Miami --------- 15
Chicago ------- 8
Los Angeles ---3
Boston -------- 3
Minneapolis --- 2
Philadelphia -- 2
San Francisco - 2
Austin --------- 1
Dallas ----------1
Houston ------- 1
Las Vegas ----- 1
Seattle -------- 1

https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/com...t=Show+Results

Old 01-21-2020, 07:28 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMXRIXrYpE

Another impressive structure. And I'm still staying on point guys upthread.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:32 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
I don't know why you think US immgration policy has any effect on Canadian immigration policy. Every year Ottawa and Quebec set the number of immigrants that will be allowed to come to Canada. the amount the US lets in will not change the numbers Canada brings in. For Canada the numbers have been around 300,000 for decades now.
Honestly, I couldn't care less what the numbers are, that Canada brings in. Couldn't care less. I made my post because no one seems to care, but those from Toronto. LOL....I'm out of this one.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:47 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
Quote:
Of course it matters. When America doesn't admit them, they go to Canada as sloppy seconds. If you gave those 350,000 immigrants the option of Canada or the U.S., maybe 10% would choose cold, sterile, unaffordable Canada. But as beggars can't be choosers, they take what they can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City